Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Late Night w/ Conan.......

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I know I've heard an answer to this question before, but I must've forgot.

Why does Conan only do 4 shows a week? His Monday shows are always reruns, while the Tuesday-Friday shows are new.
Old 04-23-03, 06:59 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
A good contract?
Old 04-23-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
A good contract?
I think that has something to do with it. He has a house in Connecticut, so I'm sure he makes weekend trips up there.
Old 04-23-03, 07:47 PM
X
Administrator

Driving to a house in Connecticut from Rockefeller Center can be just like a drive across town in Phoenix. Letterman used to commute daily.

I'm betting long weekends.
Old 04-23-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Stripes on this entire week! Conan is God!
Old 04-23-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
Driving to a house in Connecticut from Rockefeller Center can be just like a drive across town in Phoenix. Letterman used to commute daily.

I'm betting long weekends.
That's my guess too, but it defies logic.
Old 04-23-03, 07:59 PM
X
Administrator

"The Chicago trip has a slightly giddy air to it. After two straight years of mostly lukewarm notices, the press has started to remark on a more confident and consistent show and host. And after two straight years of predictions of his demise, O'Brien--who used to be famous for being obscure--has just received the longest contract extension of his tenuous television career, one that will give his show Mondays off and keep him on the air through next September. (Reruns of the show will air on Monday nights.) It's hardly tenure, but previously NBC had mostly signaled its approval in even smaller dollops, renewing him here for 13 weeks, there for another 13.

"I'd be crazy if I said I was completely comfortable with that," O'Brien says later. "But it's like asking a ballplayer, `When you first replaced Willie Mays from complete obscurity, were you comfortable with the fact that you weren't sure whether you were going to get picked up for next season? They're gonna wait and see because they can. Who's gonna give me a five-year deal? That would be crazy."

Still, the extra breathing room "helps on some subliminal level," O'Brien says. "There was a while there where I was really in a spot and now I'm not."

Going on location

Using the new time off on Monday for one of its intended purposes, he and crew have flown to Chicago to tape segments that will appear on Thursday's edition of the weeknightly show (11:30 p.m., WMAQ-Ch. 5)."
http://nbckicks.tripod.com/survive.html
Old 04-23-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
"The Chicago trip has a slightly giddy air to it. After two straight years of mostly lukewarm notices, the press has started to remark on a more confident and consistent show and host. And after two straight years of predictions of his demise, O'Brien--who used to be famous for being obscure--has just received the longest contract extension of his tenuous television career, one that will give his show Mondays off and keep him on the air through next September. (Reruns of the show will air on Monday nights.) It's hardly tenure, but previously NBC had mostly signaled its approval in even smaller dollops, renewing him here for 13 weeks, there for another 13.

"I'd be crazy if I said I was completely comfortable with that," O'Brien says later. "But it's like asking a ballplayer, `When you first replaced Willie Mays from complete obscurity, were you comfortable with the fact that you weren't sure whether you were going to get picked up for next season? They're gonna wait and see because they can. Who's gonna give me a five-year deal? That would be crazy."

Still, the extra breathing room "helps on some subliminal level," O'Brien says. "There was a while there where I was really in a spot and now I'm not."

Going on location

Using the new time off on Monday for one of its intended purposes, he and crew have flown to Chicago to tape segments that will appear on Thursday's edition of the weeknightly show (11:30 p.m., WMAQ-Ch. 5)."
http://nbckicks.tripod.com/survive.html
Thanks for the link, X. Incidentally, I think his contract extension was in the range of $10-$12 million a year.
Old 04-23-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Deftones
Thanks for the link, X. Incidentally, I think his contract extension was in the range of $10-$12 million a year.
Now he might upgrade from the Taurus.
Old 04-24-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Now he might upgrade from the Taurus.

Or those Sears suits and ties he always wears.
Old 04-24-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you're as good as Conan, you can do whatever you want.