Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Account: I don't have my card - can the stores verify?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Best Buy credit card, which was only used once a few years ago. At one point, my wife and I took all our credit cards and cut them up, so we wouldn't use them.

We want to take advantage of free financing for 12 months on digital cameras they have currently, but I don't have the card, nor do I have the contact info to request a new one.

Question: can the stores reference your account status, with proper ID? I'd like to get the camera before they drop the free financing offer. I know that some department stores do this.
Old 04-23-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a simple word yes. But Im not sure if I found a "helpful" BB in employee or they all could do it. I simply went up to the CS desk and asked if they could look up my account. And presto there it was. Good luck.
Old 04-23-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Best Buy Account: I don't have my card - can the stores verify?

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I have a Best Buy credit card, which was only used once a few years ago. At one point, my wife and I took all our credit cards and cut them up, so we wouldn't use them.

We want to take advantage of free financing for 12 months on digital cameras they have currently, but I don't have the card, nor do I have the contact info to request a new one.

Question: can the stores reference your account status, with proper ID? I'd like to get the camera before they drop the free financing offer. I know that some department stores do this.
Best Buy did change their card backer a while back from GE to Household Bank. So your old account may no longer be active anyway...
Old 04-23-03, 09:16 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are looking for a digital camera, take a look at DELL HOME right now since they have 15% off AND a $40 off $300 coupon. Deal expires tomorrow though.
Old 04-23-03, 09:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't want to get judgmental, but aren't you trying to do the same thing without your card as you were doing with it? Isn't that why you cut it up?

Is it just the 0% interest rate that makes all the difference? But isn't it that same as spending what you can't afford to pay for now? You don't have to answer this, I just wanted to point it out if you haven't thought of it.

If you really want to have a BB card, I've seen people approved for them while they were making the purchase. Or you could just tell them you need a replacement because you lost yours.
Old 04-24-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by X
I don't want to get judgmental, but aren't you trying to do the same thing without your card as you were doing with it? Isn't that why you cut it up?

Is it just the 0% interest rate that makes all the difference? But isn't it that same as spending what you can't afford to pay for now?
Valid point. The Best Buy card was cut up specifically so I wouldn't use it, as I was nearly wooed into buying a bigscreen tv with it. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

Personally, using the 0% interest thing has worked out well for me in the past on other items.