Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Confidence" looks like a winner

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The buzz looks quite positive so far.....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Confidence-1121861/
Old 04-22-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like James Foley might not be a one-hit wonder after all...
Old 04-22-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it looks really good from the trailer..i'm definately going to check it out
Old 04-22-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Look's rather typical to me. And Edward Burns after Tom Hanks, may be my least favorite actor. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard & Hoffman playing a toughguy makes me laugh. But Rachel Weiz looks absolutely stunning in this movie so I may see it just for her.
Old 04-22-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Hoffman acting tough is rather comical.
Old 04-22-03, 07:24 PM
Retired

The trailers do look pretty good. However, I though Ocean's Eleven (another heist flick) looked good from the previews and absolutely hated it.
Old 04-22-03, 08:11 PM

I saw Confidence a few weeks ago with Edward Burns in attendance and quite enjoyed it. It didn't approach the level of a David Mamet type of con movie, but it was very good for a low-key genre exercise. I'm not really a fan of Dustin Hoffman and his type of mannered performances, but his take on the quirky mob-boss character was enthralling. He surprised me by actually coming off as twisted and eccentrically threatening.
Old 04-22-03, 08:34 PM

Weisz is stunning as always and good in the film, although her American accent slips back toward British every now and then.

I could hardly consider James Foley a one-hit wonder, especially since After Dark, My Sweet predated Glengarry Glenn Ross by a couple of years. Also, what about the Twin Peaks episode he directed? It’s true that his recent films haven’t been that great, but give the guy a break.

It’s interesting to note that one of Hoffman’s better performances in recent years was in the Mamet-penned American Buffalo.

Burns is really coming into his own as an actor in other people’s films. He displays a greater, well, confidence.

The character actors are also really strong in the movie. Andy Garcia is great playing against type. The ever-reliable Paul Giamatti is hilarious. Donal Logue and Luis Guzmán make the most of small parts. It’s always welcome seeing Robert Forster, even in a bit part.

Come to think of it, Confidence is really brimming with Mamet connections—Foley, Hoffman, Forster (Lakeboat) and Garcia (also Lakeboat).
Old 04-23-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Oh yes, I'll watch damn near anything with Rachel Weisz in it.
Old 04-23-03, 10:17 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've seen the first 6 1/2 minutes or so and it seemed pretty standard. I'm tired of the 'whole movie is a flashback' gimmick.

Of course Weisz and Hoffman don't appear in the opening scenes, so maybe they really, really improve the film.
Old 04-23-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what it is, but the ads for this just look terrible to me....part of it is whatever the music is that's in the ad.....it irritates me.
Old 04-24-03, 02:29 PM

I saw this last night and found it pretty enjoyable. It's your typical heist flick, and fairly predictable, but the performances were good, especially Hoffman. I thought the movie was well paced, and didn't drag at all. I'm not sure it'd be a box office hit, but worth seeing if you like the genre IMHO.
Old 04-25-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
It's got a pretty good rating over a rottentomatoes.com with 80%. It does seem to be, however, a case where most of the good reviews are coming from internet critics while it is only getting a fair amount from name ones.
Old 04-25-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
I don't know what it is, but the ads for this just look terrible to me....part of it is whatever the music is that's in the ad.....it irritates me.
I feel completely the opposite. I like the fast paced and flashy ads. And I love the music. But then again, I love the Queens of the Stone Age anyway.

And Sessa17, I think Hoffman playing a bad guy will be more convincing than him playing an action hero ("Outbreak"). I remember one of the critics in the Washington Post goofing on him for that too. Only saw the movie once. But didn't he jump from a helicopter onto a ship? In the rain no less. The critic said something like "Harrison Ford he ain't".

Last edited by Daytripper; 04-25-03 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty standard stuff. I thought it really lagged at the beginning with all of Burns' smarmy braggadocio. Though, Foley was able to surpass the middling script in the final act and turn it up enough to give it some enjoyable energy.
Old 04-25-03, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FredC
I saw this last night and found it pretty enjoyable. It's your typical heist flick, and fairly predictable, but the performances were good, especially Hoffman. I thought the movie was well paced, and didn't drag at all. I'm not sure it'd be a box office hit, but worth seeing if you like the genre IMHO.
Good quick review. I only get to see movies in the theatre sparingly so this was just enough to convince to pass.
Old 04-25-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I'll be that guy, & as the obligatory questions. . .

Does Rachel Weiz get naked?
Old 04-25-03, 01:33 PM

In Cineschlocker terms,
Breasts: 1(Pair)

But not Rachel Weisz'
Old 04-25-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daytripper
Wait, they'll release this but they won't "Song of the South"!?

Huh?
Old 04-25-03, 08:08 PM

My review is up. I really liked it.
Old 04-26-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Huh?
Huh? Is right. I have absolutely no idea how this happened. I was in that Disney war progaganda film thread when I thought I posted this (!?????) And I woun't have seen this error had I not read and posted in this thread either. Very very bizarre.
Old 04-26-03, 12:34 PM
Banned

I just saw this movie last night and it was a very entertaining film, I really enjoyed it. This movie reminds me of the remake "Oceans 11".

I don't want to talk about the story because I don't want to spoil anything for those hasn't seen it.

But one thing for sure, the movie has a great cast:

Luis Guizman
Andy Garcia
Robert Forster
Rachel Weisz
Paul Giamatti
and of course, Dustin Hoffman

This is a great mob/mafia type of film.

In this film, Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia, and Robert Forster hardly ever got any screen time, they were just supporting roles for the movie but they still played awesome characters though.

Edward Burns is an awesome actor and I'm beginning to like his acting in every movie I see him in. Burns is on his way in becoming a household name star and this movie here shows it.

I would reccomend this film to anyone.
Old 04-26-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Good movie, three stars out four IMO. Nothing exceptional, but still better than most of the tripe that is thrown at us this time of year. Great acting from everyone involved, and a really intelligent script to boot.

My only gripe:
Spoiler:
I wasn't the one making out with Rachel Weisz in the backseat of a car at the end.
Old 04-26-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I happen to like grifter movies, but they seem to always follow a cadence in setup and delivery. "Confidence" has fun with the genre (though you know what is going to transpire, it is an enjoyable ride filled with misdirection), and I thought the cast had a blast with their roles in the film. If you enjoyed the trailer, I think you'll enjoy the film.

I give the film 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 04-30-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it last night. Loved it! Would give it a solid ***1/2 out of ****. Will make a great triple feature with "The Grifters" and "Oceans 11" when I get it on DVD one day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.