Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No more GBA SPs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
No more GBA SPs?

I don't have an offcial link, but the only source I got was from work that our DM heard from the head office that Nintendo has stopped production of the GBA SP, and production will resume by christmas time. Has anyone else heard this as well, or is this another bad case of rumor?

thoughts?
Old 04-22-03, 02:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Like 99% of the rumors in the gaming industry, this makes no sense.
Old 04-22-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like complete garbage to me. The reason they're so hard to find at present is because they're so damn popular not because they stopped manufacturing.
Old 04-22-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: No more GBA SPs?

Originally posted by zero
I don't have an offcial link, but the only source I got was from work that our DM heard from the head office that Nintendo has stopped production of the GBA SP, and production will resume by christmas time. Has anyone else heard this as well, or is this another bad case of rumor?

thoughts?
Sounds to me as if it is a plant designed to sell even more SPs. I doubt this rumor is valid. I have a far more interesting rumor, but I cannot share it (NDA).
Old 04-22-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: No more GBA SPs?

Originally posted by AgtFox
Sounds to me as if it is a plant designed to sell even more SPs. I doubt this rumor is valid. I have a far more interesting rumor, but I cannot share it (NDA).
You know that sounds about accurate. This news is also coming from the same guy who said "Yeah Nintendo is going out of business, and they sold their games to Microsoft."

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old 04-22-03, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Zero...actually...
Nintendo is in its SECOND run right now. SPs will be out everywhere, again, in 2 weeks or so. This is straight from my DM and his Boss.

HOWEVER, I would love it if this rumor was true. It would suck for people who waiting too long.
Old 04-22-03, 05:48 PM

Dude...

Zero, you of all people should know not to pay attention to that guy. This is the same guy who said Nintendo was going the Sega route. Something tells me that GameLazy is getting payola from M$
Old 04-22-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know, but I picked up a cobalt one for my mother (she loves Tetris), but when she opened the box, it was the platinum version. I guess they just threw one in the wrong box.
Old 04-23-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Zero...actually...
Nintendo is in its SECOND run right now. SPs will be out everywhere, again, in 2 weeks or so. This is straight from my DM and his Boss.

HOWEVER, I would love it if this rumor was true. It would suck for people who waiting too long.
I dunno Gizmo....no more until Christmas? sounds like BS to me. I can understand a shortage for the next few weeks but not until christmas.
Old 04-24-03, 01:48 AM
Suspended

Try ebay for a GBA Advance SP

I haven't seen ANY GBA SP's in stores near me. Every store is sold out. If you really want a GBA SP right now and can't find one, try ebay. They have some on there for good prices. I noticed a few bundled with games at a great price.

Last edited by OzFan23; 04-24-03 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-24-03, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Im sure we, as well as every other store, will get them back in stock in a week or two. I love telling people they can't get one and they SHOULD have pre-ordered...morons.
Old 04-24-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Im sure we, as well as every other store, will get them back in stock in a week or two. I love telling people they can't get one and they SHOULD have pre-ordered...morons.
Thats about the attitude of most game store employees.

I've never pre-ordered and always got my consoles or handhelds on launch day.
Old 04-24-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did ask the game stores in Japan about the GBA SP.They said GBA SP is really selling very well that they cannot keep up the stocks, so the next shipment will be for Japan and then to US.The Japan market has very little stock or none at this moment.
Old 04-24-03, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by darkside
Thats about the attitude of most game store employees.

I've never pre-ordered and always got my consoles or handhelds on launch day.
Wow, YOUR LUCKY! Not everyone is as lucky as you. Do you work in a game store? Maybe you don't realize that we SELL out and we don't get replished for days, or weeks if any. So when you happen to stumble in and get one, it dosn't mean its easy...you just got very lucky. Im sure anyone that wors at EBs or anywehre else can tell you these things are pretty tough to find.
Old 04-24-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's not lucky. He just camps out in front of the store 3 days in advance to be first in line. $^)
Old 04-25-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, YOUR LUCKY! Not everyone is as lucky as you. Do you work in a game store? Maybe you don't realize that we SELL out and we don't get replished for days, or weeks if any. So when you happen to stumble in and get one, it dosn't mean its easy...you just got very lucky. Im sure anyone that wors at EBs or anywehre else can tell you these things are pretty tough to find.

Easy there Mogwai not everyone pre-orders and thats ok. However I do have to agree with Gizmo here a lot of people get pissed or throw tantrums when we as game store clerks say "Did you pre-order it?..No well Im sorry I cant sell this copy to you" However, I have a problem with people who do call us up and demand a Zelda bonus disc and give the entire store staff a tounge lashing because we didnt get him his disc. And when we get a disc to settle him down....it sits there for a month without him buying it GRRRRRRRR!!!
Old 04-25-03, 02:25 AM

For anybody who's still looking for one, the Target in Northridge, CA had about 9 cobalt left. No platinum though.
Old 04-25-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by drmoze
He's not lucky. He just camps out in front of the store 3 days in advance to be first in line. $^)
No, I walk into Target anytime on the launch day and get one. Retail stores get huge shipments and usually have plenty the first day or two. Game stores get 12 and have a preorder list of 100. At least the irritating morons that shop in Game Stores are on even ground with the employees.
Old 04-25-03, 01:56 PM
Suspended

No, I walk into Target anytime on the launch day and get one. Retail stores get huge shipments and usually have plenty the first day or two. Game stores get 12 and have a preorder list of 100. At least the irritating morons that shop in Game Stores are on even ground with the employees.
Actually, that's not true. Ive worked retail in many feilds, one being department stores. On console launch days they dont get tons. They get just as many as Game stores do (About half a dozen to a dozen). Obviously if Nintendo only made 500,000 for the initial shipment, not ever department store can get a 100 and game stores only a few. Infact, my store had 8 pre-orders, and we ONLY got in 8 on the launch day. Why? Because Nintendo could only fill pre-orders through stores. Some stores were lucky to get some extras, but very few.

Yesterday I had 3 calls for SP's....asked them if they pre-ordered, and two of them said "I never pre-order and I always get my console when it comes out". So what did I say? "Youobviously didn't this time, next to PRE-ORDER".
Old 04-27-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For anyone near a Sam's, I spotted 15 - 20 GBA SP/ Mario/Strat Guide bundles on the shelf today.

I purchased my GBA SP/Zelda/Strat Guide bundle there a month ago for 127.00. Same price they were today.
Old 04-27-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the PS2 and GC launches, my buddy and I wandered into a 24 hour Wal-Mart and bought one at midnight. It was ridiculously easy. I wish the PS2 had been for me.
Old 04-27-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, that's not true. Ive worked retail in many feilds, one being department stores. On console launch days they dont get tons. They get just as many as Game stores do (About half a dozen to a dozen). Obviously if Nintendo only made 500,000 for the initial shipment, not ever department store can get a 100 and game stores only a few. Infact, my store had 8 pre-orders, and we ONLY got in 8 on the launch day. Why? Because Nintendo could only fill pre-orders through stores. Some stores were lucky to get some extras, but very few.

Yesterday I had 3 calls for SP's....asked them if they pre-ordered, and two of them said "I never pre-order and I always get my console when it comes out". So what did I say? "Youobviously didn't this time, next to PRE-ORDER".
thats why i dont usually bother with the game stores it seems like they're in their own little world. They basically laugh at you when u call and ask for something you didn't preorder, i think they get off on it. i remember when GTA3:VC came out they wer elike u didnt preorder it?? OMG youre not gonna be able to get one for MONTHS if u preorder today we can get you in on the 3rd shipment in a month or 2. so then i drive down the street to best buy, walk in and pick it up (for $15 CHEAPER). feel sorry for those people waiting for the second shipment or whatever. Same thing happened with the GBA:SP, but when i went next door to walmart they had TONS, hell they still have tons. target, BB and wal-mart all have at least 20 still as i see them everytime i go in. i got ps2, xbox, GBA:SP and GC all on their first days without preordering and i don't work at a game store. also when BB has coupons and frys has good sales, i think it's pretty stupid to preorder, especially from those overpriced game stores like gamestop.

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 04-27-03 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-27-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my SP on launch day without a problem while people that preordered were still waiting for theirs because the Game Store didn't get enough to cover preorders. Happens all the time. Heck it happened to people here on the forum.

If you are going to preorder at least do it at a place like Best Buy that gets a large enough shipment to cover their preorders.
Old 04-27-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my wal-mart must have 5-10 blue ones on the shelf...for what it's worth.
Old 04-27-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Heck here BB, Target, and Wal-mart all have SP's on the shelves. I got mine on launch day at BB walked in 30 minutes after the store opened, and picked up one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.