Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Aerosmith Honkin' On Bobo (Blues Album) Due 3/30

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: You plan to buy it?
84.21%
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Aerosmith Honkin' On Bobo (Blues Album) Due 3/30

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Limited Edition package will have a
special keychain with a harmonica.
1. Road Runner
2. Shame, Shame, Shame
3. Eyesight To The Blind
4. Baby, Please Don't Go
5. Never Loved A Girl
6. Back Back Train
7. You Gotta Move
8. The Grind
9. I'm Ready
10. Temperature
11. Stop Messin' Around
12. Jesus Is On The Mainline
Aerosmith will likely enter the studio sometime in the next two or three weeks to begin recording its much-discussed blues album for Columbia, guitarist Joe Perry tells Billboard.com. Blind Willie McTell's "Broke Down Engine," Little Walter's "Temperature," and "I'm Ready," famously recorded by both Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters, are among the songs being worked up by the band, which he says is now rehearsing and doing a bit of recording in Perry's home studio in Boston.

"By the time we're finished here, I think we're gonna have some tracks we're gonna have to beat when we go into our studio," he says, referring to the band's Boston-area recording facility, which is nearing completion. "At this point, looking at what the song list is, I'd say it's about two-thirds old standards and a third original.

"We're putting our spin on our influences," he continues, "There are some things we're taking kind of a cue from more modern versions. Some of it, like, 'Broke Down Engine,' [Bob] Dylan recorded that in '94, but it was a Blind Willie McTell song that I think was recorded in 1930-something. So we're listening to both versions and making our own version of it."

Perry is quick to dismiss any preconceptions of the album. "We're not making an album for blues purists, we're not making an album to educate people in the blues, we're not making an album to try and copy Muddy Waters. What we're doing is taking songs that when we heard them made the hair on the back of our neck stand up and playing them the way we feel.

"In the end, we're gonna have some songs that sound kind of traditional, and other songs that sound like they come from the 'Rocks' era," he added, referring to the band's 1976 Columbia album.

Thus far, the band has about 10 songs ready, all of which will eventually be recorded live. "That's what the whole thing was, to get back to that," Perry notes, adding that the group is co-producing the set with Jack Douglas, who helmed such band classics as "Get Your Wings" (1974), "Toys in the Attic" (1975), "Draw the Line" (1977), and "Rocks."

The guitarist says he will likely sing at least one song on the record, potentially the early Fleetwood Mac cut "Stop Messin' Round," a longtime concert staple. "We're having a good time doing it, and I'm not letting anything go out that doesn't get me off, like, through and through. And that's my own, selfish take on it. But, then, that's how I've been, that's how I was in 1975."

Perry says he hopes the as-yet-untitled record will hit stores in September, not long after the band begins an amphitheater tour with Kiss, who he calls an "icon onto themselves."

"Just to be touring with them is cool. And then the whole thing about, 'Well ... they're cartoony,' and all that. If you have that kind of attitude, then you're taking your rock'n'roll way too seriously. To me, it's all about entertainment. I went to see them on this comeback tour and I didn't sit down the whole time."

-- Wes Orshoski, N.Y.
I can't wait for this. I like their blues stuff.

Coming MARCH 30th, 2004

Last edited by bigjim25; 03-25-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-20-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow this might be the first half decent Aerosmith album in 10 years.
Old 04-21-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait as well. They have covered many blues songs in the past very well. I hope the 1/3 originals are along the same line and not like the junk they have come up with lately.
Old 04-21-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I long for an album pre-get a grip Aerosmith. Ever since that album they have been in a 'ballad' rut for almost 10 years. They are quickly turning into Def Leppard.
Old 04-21-03, 10:00 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Definitely a good move on their part. They need more blues and less pop in their music these days.
Old 04-21-03, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bigjim25
"In the end, we're gonna have some songs that sound kind of traditional, and other songs that sound like they come from the 'Rocks' era," he added, referring to the band's 1976 Columbia album.

If this part is true I will buy it. If it is like the crap they have been putting out since 1980 then I will pass.
Old 04-21-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Wow this might be the first half decent Aerosmith album in 10 years.
Agreed.
Old 03-11-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are couple titles in there that Aerosmith could cover really well. Like many others I haven't liked a damn thing since a couple of songs on Permanant Vacation (Hangman Jury, I'm Down, Rag Doll)...but of course that's debatable (I actually liked half of Done With Mirrors)...and Douglas is on it...so there is a good chance. Hopefully this album is done right.

Also, I like the cover art too.
Old 03-11-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an Aerosmith fan, but I heard their first single, Baby, Please Don't Go and it sounds pretty cool.
Old 03-11-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can hear some clips here....

Linky