Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone else getting used/reshrinkwrapped discs from Dvdempire?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-18-03, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received an order containing 15 dvd's from Dvdempire last Saturday. Two of the movies I ordered were Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Edition And Alice In Wonderland: Gold Collection - These particular two were for my niece's birthday this weekend.

The Snow White disc looks like it has been to hell and back - scratches, dings and dents all over the case/cover, the shrinkwrap is all torn up, and it has a "CVS Pharmacy" price sticker on the front for $24.99. It's still in the original shrinkwrap, but it looks like crap.

The Alice In Wonderland disc is even worse - it's the most obvious re-shrinkwrap job I've ever seen (at least until I got my next Dvdempire order a few days later). Again, the shrinkwrap is all torn and tattered, and you can tell that it's not the factory wrap. The white case of the movie has dirt and smudges under the shrinkwrap. Worst of all, the security stickers are missing - but you can tell where they were because there are still bits and pieces of them left stuck on the case - Again this is under the "new" shrinkwrap.

I got another order from Dvdempire a couple of days ago, and again it had an open reshrinkwapped dvd - this time it was so obvious it was laughable. The order was for the five new Midnite Movies, Plus A Chorus Line and Roadie. All were MGM Discs and all were factory sealed and have all the security stickers except for the Angel Unchained/Cycle Savages Disc - the security stickers are missing, and it is just enclosed in a very loose plastic shrink bag - they didn't even bother to heat-shrink it to even make an attempt to hide the fact that it has been opened. Since all 7 dvd's were from MGM, they all had the same security stickers (all 3 sides) and tight, professional shrinkwrap, except for the one I mentioned, which maked the repackaging all the more obvious.

Now first let me say that I buy from DvdEmpire often (usually a couple hundred bucks a month), and have never had a problem with them before. They have the best online ordering system of any store and the absolute fastest shipping (most of the time I get a shipping notice within a few hours of placing an order), but after this I'll probably start shopping elsewhere.

What really gets me about this is that, according to their return policy, I have to pay the shipping on all returns. I can understand this if I had just changed my mind about the items, but the fact that I have to pay to return used discs that I purchased as new really rubs me the wrong way.

I have to go out and re-purchase the two Disney discs locally tomorrow, since I needed them by this Sunday, and I'm not going to give some banged up, used (possibly returned as defective) dvd's as a gift. I'm just going to return the ones they sent and hopefully get a refund. I'm going to open the Midnite Movie disc and if plays fine, I'll keep it just to avoid the hassle.

Has this happened to anyone else when ordering from Dvdempire? Having gotten 3 of these in my last two orders, I find it hard to believe that I am the only one this is happening to. If so, did they give you any hassle when you returned them, and did they pay the return shipping?
Old 04-26-03, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Problems Over Here!
Old 04-26-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually get an order from DVDEmpire every month and never received any DVDs that were used. Everything is shrinkwrapped and security taped from the factory. But most the DVDs I purchase are pre-ordered titles that are only recently available. I would have no problem if they sold used discs but they should have a special section dedicated to that and clearly state what condition they are in. Otherwise if I purchase a DVD I would expect it to be new.
Old 04-26-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always brand new.....many orders placed with dvdempire....not one single problem.
Old 04-26-03, 12:51 PM

I returned the discs I mentioned above - I asked for a refund on the Disney discs and a replacement for the MGM disc. I was just going to keep the MGM disc if it was OK, but when I opened it, it was scratched and had fingerprints/smudges.

What puzzles me about the MGM disc is that it was a new release and I received it on the day of release. The only thing I can figure is that it was loose when they got it from the factory, so maybe they opened it, reseated the disc and rebagged it.

Out of approximately 75 or so movies I've ordered from them in the past few months, this is the only problem I've had (except for one disc I had replaced because of a faulty DTS track, but this wasn't their fault). As long as they issue the refund/replacement, I'll give them another chance - they have the fastest shipping and best customer service of almost any store out there, rivaled only by Digital Eyes. The only thing I don't like about them is that they won't pay return shipping for damaged discs.

Last edited by Roy28; 04-26-03 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-26-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once I ordered a Twilight Zone that was listed as Backordered. After 2 or 3 weeks I recieved a shipping email saying it had shipped but it was still listed as Backordered on their web site then and after I recieved it. When I got it it was loose in the case. I guess someone probably sent it back in because it was loose. No scratches were on it and it was not opened before that from what I could tell.
Old 04-27-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just received....

Domestic Disturbance- Still had the factory seal and security stickers

How the Grinch Stole Xmas-Carey Brand new

Star Wars Episode II Brand new

Jonah-Veggie Tales which was used but in excellent condition as far as the discs are concerned.

Paid $40.00 for these shipped!!!!

All four were found in their $9.99 USED dvd section......
Old 04-27-03, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
Just received....

Domestic Disturbance- Still had the factory seal and security stickers

How the Grinch Stole Xmas-Carey Brand new

Star Wars Episode II Brand new

Jonah-Veggie Tales which was used but in excellent condition as far as the discs are concerned.

Paid $40.00 for these shipped!!!!

All four were found in their $9.99 USED dvd section......
From DvdEmpire? I don't think they have a used dvd section (could be wrong). Are you sure you're not thinking of Digital Eyes?
Old 04-27-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Roy28
From DvdEmpire? I don't think they have a used dvd section (could be wrong). Are you sure you're not thinking of Digital Eyes?
OOPS.....I think I just had a brain meltdown. I was thinking about djangos when I posted this and now I need to go find the thread which dealt with djangos.

Just found it in the bargains section......

Last edited by djones6746; 04-27-03 at 05:05 PM.