Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Best ever TV SEASON ENDING CLIFFHANGER ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 06:29 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well Second best, the best is of course Dallas's 'Who Shot JR?'

what do u reckon ?
Old 04-18-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Trek: Next Generation Best of Both Worlds Part 1

I was at college at the time and was a huge thing. One of the college newspapers even had an article on all the buzz. It brought Trek out of geekdom into some respectability.
Old 04-18-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember the wedding shootout on Dynasty..

You couldn't do that today too politacally incorrect!
Old 04-18-03, 07:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

"Who is Cartman's Dad?"
Old 04-18-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew

Old 04-18-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Season 3 of Babylon 5, best cliffhanger episode ever IMHO
Any season cliffhanger of Farscape, very well done.

Michael
Old 04-18-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BOBW is a definite contender. While not a traditional cliffhanger, 'Becoming, Part II' was absolutely gut-wrenching ... 'The Gift' wasn't too shabby either. 'Almost 30 Years' from last season's Alias was pretty freakin' cool, but it doesn't stand out as a cliffhanger since every episode of the season ended with something shocking that kept you on edge until the next one. 'Z'ha'dum' was pretty damn good.

On the lighter side, before Friends died, 'The One with Ross' Wedding' was good stuff. And how could we forget 'Who Shot Mr. Burns?' and 'Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut.'

For now, though, my heart seems drawn to 'Bad Timing'.

das
Old 04-18-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by shanester
I remember the wedding shootout on Dynasty..

You couldn't do that today too politacally incorrect!

Its funny you mention that. Soapnet is running Dynasty re-runs right now and they are about 3 or 4 episodes away from the infamous 'Moldavian Massacre.'

My favorite is the Season 8 ending to Law & Order. Adam is up for re-election. McCoy is facing the disciplinary committee after Jamie testified against him. Briscoe is comtemplating putting a hit out on the drug dealer who killed his daughter. Good stuff.
Old 04-18-03, 08:22 AM

I never watched Dynasty. What was the wedding shootout and why couldn't you do it today?
Old 04-18-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Groucho
I never watched Dynasty. What was the wedding shootout and why couldn't you do it today?

The Carrington daughter marries the Prince of a fictitious small European country. Terrorists (can't remember their origin - perhaps Middle Eastern) crash the wedding and end up killing several minor characters.

As I said before, if you really want to know, the cliffhanger episodes will be on Soapnet Wednesday and Thursday at 1 pm ET next week.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-18-03 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-18-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
The Smallville first season finale with the twister made me soooo maddddd!
Old 04-18-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho

In this post 9/11 hysteria anything on tv to do with terrorism and shooutouts make the networks uncomfortable..

They postponed releasing "Phone Booth" in October because of the Sniper shootings..
Old 04-18-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to give it up to STNG's "Best of Both Worlds, Part I". That was some mighty fine television.

I do not mean for this to sound off the wall, but two (2) I will really remember are; "Educating Max Bickford" and "First Monday". Both shows ended on "cliffhangers", but were not renewed for another season. "First Monday" ended with an Assistant Federal Prosecutor getting mowed down by a car by someone w/in DC that didnt want her talking. "Max" ended with the whole family starting to plan their father/grandfather's wedding. I enjoyed both shows immensly and was really disappointed that both got the axe by CBS for being "too smart".
Old 04-18-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
The end of Oz season one.
Old 04-18-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
I have to give it up to STNG's "Best of Both Worlds, Part I". That was some mighty fine television.

I do not mean for this to sound off the wall, but two (2) I will really remember are; "Educating Max Bickford" and "First Monday". Both shows ended on "cliffhangers", but were not renewed for another season. "First Monday" ended with an Assistant Federal Prosecutor getting mowed down by a car by someone w/in DC that didnt want her talking. "Max" ended with the whole family starting to plan their father/grandfather's wedding. I enjoyed both shows immensly and was really disappointed that both got the axe by CBS for being "too smart".

The most memorable unresolved cliffhanger to me was the series finale of Benson since he and the Governor were running against each other.
Old 04-18-03, 12:41 PM

Shows don't get cancelled for being too smart. They get cancelled for having poor ratings.
Old 04-18-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>Shows don't get cancelled for being too smart. They get cancelled for having poor ratings. <HR SIZE=1>

Not true. Some shows are cancelled because they're expensive to make. Others are cancelled because they don't fit into the network's "vision." And some are even cancelled due to grudges between producers and execs. A show like Farscape for example, that was the highest rated original series in its network's history for the 3 years before it was canned, was in fact cancelled because it was "too smart" and didn't have the broad generic appeal the network wanted to transform itself into.

das
Old 04-18-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Chew

I was at college at the time and was a huge thing. One of the college newspapers even had an article on all the buzz. It brought Trek out of geekdom into some respectability.

I remember I wasn't watching it during the season yet, just in syndication. I couldn't even wait one day let alone a few months. I am so glad I didn't have to go through that torture.

"Fire."

to be continued......

three of the worst words in the english language.

Some other notables
Smallville
Lois & Clark
"Will you marry me."
"Who's asking? Clark Kent or Superman...."
to bad the rest of the series was downhill from there.
Old 04-18-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My vote goes to:

CHEERS:

Season 2 cliffhanger: "I'll Be Seeing You, Part II"

Plot: This is the episode where Sam and Diane break up (for the first time). Sam forbids Diane to let Christopher Lloyd (who plays an eccentric painter) do a rendition of her so that she can give it to Sam as a present. Diane does it anyway, behind Sam's back. When he finds out, Sam has a terrible argument with Diane and they break up (it ends with them pinching each other's noses for goodness sakes!).

The final scene, however, is a beautifully written-ending: After Diane leaves in a huff, vowing never to return to Cheers again (yeah right), Sam goes back, and after a moment, decides to take a look at the painting after all. The audience never sees the finished work, but with a stunned expression, all Sam says is: "Wow....."

Beautiful.

The following season premiere has Sam becoming a drunk again (and Diane seeks psychiatric help from a character named Frasier Crane.)
Old 04-18-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
The most memorable unresolved cliffhanger to me was the series finale of Benson since he and the Governor were running against each other.
Another unresolved cliffhanger was the final episode of Soap. Several stories with no end. Speaking of Soap, I loved the "Who killed Peter Campbell?" cliffhanger at the end of the first season.

Another good one, NYPD Blue - Simone had a lot of pressure from IAD due to his relationship with a mobster. Said mobster is gunned down, and it appears that Sipowicz was the shooter.

Honk!
Old 04-18-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
DALLAS

Bobby in the shower saying "Good morning!"

A lot of the cartoon and scifi you guys are citing may be important to you, but that's a niche audience. The entire country was in utter shock at this cliffhanger, as it was a few years earlier for Who Shot JR.
Old 04-18-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by GuessWho
DALLAS

Bobby in the shower saying "Good morning!"

A lot of the cartoon and scifi you guys are citing may be important to you, but that's a niche audience. The entire country was in utter shock at this cliffhanger, as it was a few years earlier for Who Shot JR.

Worst cliffhanger ever. I wish it was just a dream.
Old 04-18-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlie Goose
[B]Another unresolved cliffhanger was the final episode of Soap. Several stories with no end. Speaking of Soap, I loved the "Who killed Peter Campbell?" cliffhanger at the end of the first season.

Your right!...I do remember that show recapping all the story lines at the end and Billy Campbell was the late Robert Urich who get killed in the shower as I recall??...

That show was very daring for it's time and I think Billy Crystal was one of the first recurring gay charaters on tv
Old 04-18-03, 04:52 PM

One of my favorites was in Quantum Leap when the 3rd season ended with Sam and Al switching places.

Mike
Old 04-18-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho

The topic didn't ask for most popular ever, but best.
And by that we mean opinion....there is no fact here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.