Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Has Joss Wheldon ever won an Emmy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has Joss Wheldon ever won an Emmy?

I'm asking because I watched the episode "The Body," from season five of Buffy The Vampire Slayer last night and I gotta tell ya that episode was absolutely in****ingcredible.

Wheldon wrote and directed the episode and I'm hoping he got some recognition for it.

It was powerful and it was emotional.

The next episode was a amazing as well. Loved the ending.

Season five of Buffy rocks!

Season four had its moments, but something just didn't quite click.

Five, though, once you start watching you really want to see the whole season.

My wife and I usually watch one Buffy episode a night.With season five we have been watching two. We'd watch more but for the fact that we don't get home from work until 11:30 at night.

Since I never watch the Emmy's, I was wondering if Wheldon has won anything whether it be writing or directing.

If he hasn't then there is something seriously wrong because that man can write some pretty powerful, and emotional stuff.
Old 04-18-03, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He was nominated for writing "Hush", but didn't win. The show won a couple for season two (makeup and music), but never in a major category.

here is an interesting piece on how Joss campaigned to get a nomination for "The Body", but it failed. The Emmys just hate Buffy. Last year they "accidentally" left "Once More With Feeling" off the ballot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Joss did share an Oscar nomination for writing Toy Story (with about 6 other writers).

Last edited by wmansir; 04-18-03 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-18-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hush, The Body, and Once More With Feeling are easily three of the top five Buffy shows ever, IMO. It is really too bad that such a great show will never get an Emmy...
Old 04-18-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
It seems to me that sci-fi fantasy shows always get jipped by Emmy voters in terms of acting and writing. Buffy and Joss get added to the list. Sucks doesn't it?
Old 04-18-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
[threadcrap] I think that Buffy is just one of those shows that you either completely adore or utterly despise. My wife loves it. It makes my skin flush and my stomach roll (like when someone scratches the blackboard) when I try to watch it. Oh well, vive la varieté [/threadcrap]

I agree with lisadoris, alternative programming of this nature rarely gets recognition (except for the X-Files, of course).
Old 04-18-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not a big deal or anything, but his name is "Whedon" for future reference.

Anyway, 'The Body' is one of those brilliant pieces of television that stands so high above 99% of everything ever produced that it's utterly baffling how any awards group could ignore it. I somewhat feel sorry for the average television viewers who blindly scoff at genre programming, because they're missing some incredible art.

Although I personally think Buffy was one of the top two or three dramas on television during a couple of seasons (2 and 3), I don't have an overwhelming problem that it's been snubbed in the Best Drama category. However, not nominating 'The Body' is one of those truly unforgiveable atrocities that exposes how pathetically narrow-minded the nomination committee can be. Thankfully, they've at least started requiring the voters to actually watch the shows they're voting on. Shocking concept ... who would have ever thought that was a good idea?

Oh well ... that's why you can't take those award programs too seriously. There's no illusion that they're actually trying to honor the highest quality.

To the original point, smokedragon, I think you'll find most everyone who has seen 'The Body' to be in total agreement with you: absolutely in****ingcredible.

das
Old 04-18-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No, he nelver has.
Old 04-18-03, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember being absolutely floored when The Body didn't get nominated for anything. Partly because it was just so. damned. good., and partly because it was the least Buffy-ish an episode of Buffy can get. If any episode had a shot, it was the mostly supernatural free episode. I think you could have taken almost the entire episode, replaced the vampire scene with a cameo from the regular cast, and slapped it into Six Feet Under or something similar, and it would have been a lock for a win.

But what really killed me is that Sarah Michelle Gellar didn't get nominated for best actress in a drama for season 5. While I'm a pretty vocal critic of the S5 story, I do think that most of it floats along on the strength of the cast. Buffy, as presented in S5, ran through a gamut of very real emotions. While I didn't always buy the reasons behind Buffy feeling or acting the way she did, SMG played the character in a very believable way.
Old 04-18-03, 08:17 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Emmy nominations 2 years ago were so ridiculous. Season 5 of Buffy is my favorite season and that was the only year Buffy didn't get any nominations. It usually gets makeup or hair or something. What's even more crazy is that not a single WB show received a nomination that year. Channels like Animal Planet, A&E, and MTV were getting noms, but the WB was totally ignored. My 3 favorite shows that season were Buffy, Gilmore Girls, and Roswell. I didn't expect Roswell to get anything, but Buffy and Gilmore Girls are of such high quality you have to blind, deaf, and dumb not to recognize their greatness.
Old 04-18-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by nny
The Emmy nominations 2 years ago were so ridiculous. Season 5 of Buffy is my favorite season and that was the only year Buffy didn't get any nominations. It usually gets makeup or hair or something. What's even more crazy is that not a single WB show received a nomination that year. Channels like Animal Planet, A&E, and MTV were getting noms, but the WB was totally ignored. My 3 favorite shows that season were Buffy, Gilmore Girls, and Roswell. I didn't expect Roswell to get anything, but Buffy and Gilmore Girls are of such high quality you have to blind, deaf, and dumb not to recognize their greatness.
Some of those Emmy voters are pretty old and reaching senility.
Old 04-19-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whedon? Jesus, my powers of observation at work.

Anyway, I have just realized that we only have 3 episodes to go!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We watched another 2 tonight. Man, season 5 is dark(and I ain't talkin' about the lighting folks).

Season 6 will be released May 14th according to EzyDVD.

Guess I'll have to wait.

Have Angel season one to help with the withdrawal.

I am still quite shocked that WHEDON didn't get any award for "The Body."

I mean, that was really an emotional episode. Very, very well written.

Shame, really. Bloody shame.

I only can imagine just how good Firefly would be right about now. I think it was beginning to hit it's stride.

But, what do I know? Fastlane, and John Doe must be better shows. They have to be...,

They're still on
Old 04-21-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, we just finished season five.

****in hell, that was some ending!

Now I'm VERY intrigued about season six.

My wife wants season six NOW, this minute.

She doesn't want to wait until May.

Neither do I.
Old 04-21-03, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by smokedragon
Damn, we just finished season five.

****in hell, that was some ending!

Now I'm VERY intrigued about season six.

My wife wants season six NOW, this minute.

She doesn't want to wait until May.

Neither do I.
You're lucky it is coming so soon (3 weeks?). I started watching Buffy at the end of last year and watched the first 5 seasons on DVD. I wanted to get caught up to the current episodes so I watched VCDs of season 6 up to 7x10, and some of those season 6 VCDs are pretty bad.

And I know what you mean about the end of season 5. I think I spent a Saturday watching the last 4 episodes of season 5 in a row, then I had to see the season 6 opening. I was really looking forward to Once More With Feeling so I watched all the way up to 6x07. I can barely sit through a movie but 11 episodes of Buffy is nothing.
Old 04-21-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The really sad thing is that Joss Weldon will probably not get an Emmy for his work on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer until years from now when he gets a honorary Lifetime Achievement award for that work. This is because the show is just too off the mainstream for Emmy voters to consider.