Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Led Zeppelin: Huge Dvd News !

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Led Zeppelin: Huge Dvd News !

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Led Zeppelin dvd compilation...

I couldn't find any posts on this doing a search...anyone else anxious?
From the bits yesterday:

Also Matt's sent word of new details on Warner's upcoming Led Zeppelin DVD (street date 5/27). This comes from a music industry source who was able to see some of the material on the set at a recent screening (thanks to that person for the info):

"The selected performances I saw were from Royal Albert Hall (1970), which consisted mostly of early blues-ier material, including a part of Dazed and Confused (rumor has it the full DVD version is around 25 min long); Madison Square Garden - 1973 (alternate and outtakes from the Song Remains the Same movie, including a SMOKING version of The Ocean (how this got left out of the movie is beyond me), and Misty Mountain Hop); Earl's Court - 1975 - superb version of Going to California with Jones on mandolin and Page on acoustic (no Bonham) as well as a great In My Time of Dying; and Knebworth 1979 (incl. Nobody's Fault but Mine and Kashmir). There was some other footage from venues I couldn't identify (incl. a bootleg video w/ prof. quality-audio Immigrant Song). Picture quality ranges from good on the older stuff to completely professionally shot on the stuff from MSG-forward, incorporates some bootleg footage and good still images to fill in space where footage was unavailable due to technical limitations of the time (it works to good effect - the editing on this is well-done); sound quality is excellent. I have no details on any extras, menus, sound options, packaging, etc. as they showed us a preview copy of just performances. The bottom line (and I'm not just shilling for my company's product here): There are going to be many Zeppelin fans who are going to be VERY happy come the end of May when this comes out. I walked out of that screening genuinely excited about getting a copy of this and watching it on my home system, and the people I spoke with agreed with me."
Old 04-17-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Led Zeppelin: Huge Dvd News!!!

LED ZEPPELIN - “Push The Old Door Open!”

03.04.15 11:34:10]

According to an article in Rolling Stone (www.rollingstone.com), last year LED ZEPPELIN guitar hero JIMMY PAGE purchased footage of Zeppelin’s 1970 concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall and has spent the last year working on the material for an upcoming DVD release.

Commenting on the 1970 show, singer ROBERT PLANT states, “It was just four guys flailing away. We had no expectations, but we knew we had something between us that was special."

The new DVD, due out on May 27th, is a five-and-a-half-hour two-disc collection that includes the 1970 London performance, three other classic live concerts and TV appearances from that decade. It's the first new footage of Zeppelin to be released in more than 25 years.

"Jimmy bit the bullet and decided it was time to push the old door open," says Plant.

Once he had the Royal Albert Hall video, Page searched Zeppelin’s London storage to find the matching audio reel. While looking he stumbled upon the tattered audio and video remains of a series of shows from London's Earl's Court in 1975 and outtakes from Zeppelin's concert film, The Song Remains The Same, shot at Madison Square Garden in 1973, as well as two performances at England's Knebworth Festival in 1979, only a year before the death of drummer John Bonham.

The DVD tracks have all been mixed in Surround Sound by Page. “We were a great band," says

Plant, "but there were times when it was a superlative performance."

On a tour of America that took place two years later, the band were at their peak. “We were so tight because we had been playing so much," says bassist John Paul Jones. "We had our chops."

Two 1972 performances in California, at the Los Angeles Forum and Long Beach Arena, are the basis of a 3CD live album, How The West Was Won, also due for release in May."On those nights the stars were aligned," says Jones.

The CD set features ‘Stairway To Heaven’, a 25 minute version of ‘Dazed And Confused’ and a 23 minute take on ‘Whole Lotta Love’. "It's Zeppelin at its best," Page says. "Every single member of the band is in tip-top form. It's the magic point where it takes on a fifth element. We were ****-hot."

The new DVD will premier in New York on May 27th with a two hour theatrical showing, to be attended by the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin. They were most excited with the rare footage of John Bonham. “"Getting to see him play was the biggest treat of all," says Jones. "I never had the chance to step back and view him from a fan's perspective. It's simply amazing."

Denying existing rumors of a future Zeppelin reunion, Plant comments, “There's a guy missing in the whole thing.”

All I have to say is this is awesome fricken' news!!!
Old 04-17-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where do I sign up? I need this. need need need.
Old 04-18-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait! But where were you a month ago when this was posted the first time? Maybe it was another forum hehe.
Old 04-18-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

brought to you by your friend, and mine ------>

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=zeppelin

Old 04-18-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also the dvd has a 20 min version of dazed and confused.
Old 04-25-03, 04:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
["Duplicate" thread re-opened]

Now that we are getting closer to the release date I think maybe Music Talk is the place where fans will want to express their anticipation of what looks to be a momentous release: I read a review in UK's Classic Rock yesterday and it sounds like something special on which much time, thought and energy has been lavished.

Last edited by benedict; 04-27-03 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-26-03, 12:45 PM
Banned

I really can't wait for this DVD, this is huge news.

I'm a huge Led Zeppelin freak.
Old 04-26-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CD and DVD look to be winners . I am so glad they come out a week before my birthday.
Old 05-13-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You might want to check by your radios. About an hour ago, they played the live version of "the ocean" from the cd. It sounded great. But the only thing that is of minor concern is that Plant's voice isn't the very best as is on the albums. (well actually, the bbc cd set, he sounds amazing). On the vh1 show, Legends, I have seen what seemed to be black and white footage from the late 70's and his voice wasn't all that.
Old 05-13-03, 06:29 PM

What station Rypro?
Old 05-13-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by borisdisco
What station Rypro?
98rock
Old 05-22-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Just finished watching a 3-song advance disc, containing "What Is And What Should Never Be", "In My Time Of Dying", and "Rock and Roll". Let me tell you something, the 5.1 audio is MIND-BLOWING! I can't believe how awesome it sounds! (And I'm a live sound engineer for a living, so I'm picky about my quality...)

Can't wait to hear the whole thing next week!

Alan
Old 05-23-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Click here
http://www.led-zeppelin.com/news/
to see a 4 min sample of Kashmire from the 79 show.

Anybody know if Stairway is gonna be an accoustic version only?
Old 05-23-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I just now got the dvd - but I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

At least I know what I'll be doing this (long) weekend...

Led Zeppelin in DTS - I can't F'n wait to blast this!!!
Old 05-23-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And unlike many of their later performances, from what I have seen, they are at the top of their game.
Old 05-23-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I just now got the dvd - but I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

Led Zeppelin in DTS
Huh? I'm a little dazed and here.
I thought it's DD 5.1 sound. Warner has released a few concert DVDs in DTS (Paul Simon, Neil Young, Madonna), but I didn't think this was one of them. Are you sure about that?
Old 05-23-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Decker
Huh? I'm a little dazed and here.
I thought it's DD 5.1 sound. Warner has released a few concert DVDs in DTS (Paul Simon, Neil Young, Madonna), but I didn't think this was one of them. Are you sure about that?

See the dts logo at the bottom.
Old 05-23-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Wish I could find a store that breaks street date with this. It would be the perfect thing to watch this long weekend.

I can't wait. Led Zep in DTS.
Old 05-23-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Sweet, it is DTS!
It's also Playstation 2 Compatible!

Very nice. Yet another purchase for me. Any reviews of the dvd or cd sets yet????
Old 05-24-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay -

this thing really is as great as you hope it is.

I've only listened to the DTS and considering that this was definitly not their intention when it was first recorded - it sounds AMAZING. The guitar is punchy and travels throughout all the speaker channels. Plant's voice sounds great and it's front and center. JPJ is the anchor and is a constant prsence that surrounds everything. Bonzo's freaking wrecking ball routine is in full force and sounds as if the room is going to collapse all around you.

The performances themselve are a revelation. Miles better than Song Remains The Same - even the Madison Square Garden stuff, which is from the same show, sounds better than that did. The Albert Hall stuff is amazing with great focus on the band. Earl's Court shows them much further along and so freaking tight (though still "sloppy" in their own way). Knebworth (not the best material) is just the cherry on top - tasty and effective. Seeing all this at once, I thought it was intersting to see how much the band phisically aged in such a short time - '70-'79 they all looked like they aged 20 years, easy. Rock & Roll, baby.

The dvd itself is exquisite. The package opens up to two discs and two booklets - one for each disc that has good background info on the performances on the discs. Once you put in a disc, it goes straight to the show - no FBI warning, no WB logo, no menu - just the show. You can switch audio on the fly and if you want to tool around a menu, it's still there, so you can. BTW, the menus are straight forward and classy as hell - they each have really obscure Zeppelin material playing through them, so they're worth checking out.

This is hands-down my favorite music dvd. I may burn a hole in the discs from playing them too much. Even though I just listened to it, I'm still salavating about hearing it again.

My favorite thing about Zeppelin has always been that their music had major balls - nowhere are these balls more evident than on this dvd.
Old 05-24-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alright questions for ya, how long are dazed and confused and whole lot of love, is stairway all accoustics, and how does Page do the violin bow thing on Dazed and Confused.

Looks like a kick ass set, and what is good also is that you just put the disc in, and it starts. And what is good is that they still sounded great on the 79 footage since I heard they were really bad late in the game.
Old 05-24-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanted to add that there are obvious moments where they didn't have the video elements necessary for a complete take. But these moments are actually pretty cool because whoever edited this does some cool things like slow motion and just different creative tricks to compensate for and cover up the missing footage.
Old 05-24-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Alright questions for ya, how long are dazed and confused and whole lot of love, is stairway all accoustics, and how does Page do the violin bow thing on Dazed and Confused.

Looks like a kick ass set, and what is good also is that you just put the disc in, and it starts. And what is good is that they still sounded great on the 79 footage since I heard they were really bad late in the game.
D&C: approx. 16 minutes (WITH bow)

WLL('70): approx. 8 minutes
WLL('79): ditto

Stariway: NOT acoustic

Yes, the '79 concert is great, but (I think) it is the weakest of the set.