Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Legendary Nights on HBO

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Legendary Nights on HBO

Has anybody been watching the Legendary Nights documentaries on HBO?

I'm not a real big boxing fan but these stories have been really captivating. Last night's story on the Julio Cesar Chavez - Meldrick Taylor fight was a perfect example of that. I remember in the early nineties Meldrick Taylor was a pretty popular fighter but then he just seemed to vanish from the face of the earth. While watching the show I was wondering why they were not interviewing him and toward the end of the show it became obvious when they showed a brief clip of him trying to speak. It further astonished me when they said he was still boxing to this day.
Old 04-17-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. Actually, I just put a similar post as this one in the sports forum. I guess I'll leave it there since I am not sure where it should go.

I thought Taylor must have been dead or something until they showed him. Very very sad stuff.
Old 04-17-03, 04:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This is a great show. Watched the Mike Tyson/Buster Douglas episode the other night.
Old 04-17-03, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this show. I've seen every episode so far and all of them were great.
Old 04-17-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope they put these on dvd and has the actuall fight uncut as an extra feature.
Old 04-17-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night's pissed me off, especailly after seeing the state Meldrick Taylor is in.

He fought his heart out and the fight would have been his if the ref let the round continue. Although I think his manager gave some bad advice becasue he didn't need to win that last round. Look what two seconds did to this guy.

Anyway I've been enjoying the shows and taped everyone so far in case they aren't released on DVD.
Old 04-18-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Samuel
Last night's pissed me off, especailly after seeing the state Meldrick Taylor is in.

He fought his heart out and the fight would have been his if the ref let the round continue. Although I think his manager gave some bad advice becasue he didn't need to win that last round. Look what two seconds did to this guy.

Anyway I've been enjoying the shows and taped everyone so far in case they aren't released on DVD.
I agree that he should have been given the extra 2 seconds and won the fight, but I also think that his career was done no matter what.

They said that he was in the hospital 4 days, and that he was urinating almost pure blood. He also took some vicious shots to the head, and some really hard straight shots in the last few rounds. Even those they talked to said that he was never going to be the same from the injuries he had.

I don't think that he would have fared much better later on, as I think that fight ruined him, but I do think that he probably deserved to go to a decision in this fight.
Old 04-24-03, 09:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone catch last night's episode of Holyfield/Bowe?

I totally forgot about the "Fan Man" incident!
Old 04-24-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Last night's episode was pretty good, even though I didn't really like the idea of cramming three matches into one 30 minute episode.

It's funny how many times people thought Holyfield was washed up, especially after the third Holyfield/Bowe fight. Then a year later he destroyed Mike Tyson.
Old 04-24-03, 10:44 PM
Banned

Last night's episode was good. F**k Fan Man, I would have punched him too!