Search

Bond dvd's to be fully restored and released in 2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bond dvd's to be fully restored and released in 2005

from thedvdforums.com

"I just found out that MGM will be re-releasing all of its James Bond titles from restored negatives and new 5.1 Dolby digital sound mixes in October 2005.
This gives us about two years to complete the restoration process. Except for "Dr. No," all of the music tracks for the 5.1 are being made from the original studio stereo recordings. Yesterday I got to go to the sound facility to hear the mix of "You Only Live Twice," the first film in the restoration process to be completed. You won't believe how great John Barry's music sounds in stereo surround!

Got this from the Yahoo John Barry discussion group anybody else heard about this?"
I sure hope this isn't true since I am still buying the releases currently.
Old 04-16-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough already....what will that be the third time?
Old 04-16-03, 07:04 PM

Why do studios give such silly dates? Talk about what you can do within the year. 2005 is a LONG time. I'll be into another hobby by then.

Last edited by babka; 04-16-03 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by babka
2005 is a LONG time. I'll be into another hobby by then.
it is a long time...but for me, my hobby will still be collecting films, regardless of the format. dvds will still be running strong in 2005 . all I want right now is the next 2 box sets which I missed out on last time. where the hell is #2 anyway?
Old 04-16-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

number 2 comes out in july when die another day comes out. No connery movies, just moore's, Dalton's first, and Brosnon's most recent 2.
Old 04-16-03, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
number 2 comes out in july when die another day comes out. No connery movies, just moore's, Dalton's first, and Brosnon's most recent 2.
Thanks man.....I needed that reminder.
Old 04-16-03, 07:39 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just a question:

The new boxed sets are mixed-up differently than the original boxed sets, aren't they?

Because the first boxed set that came out a couple of months ago (again) had two titles that were in the previous "Third Wave" boxed set release, which I already have.

Looks like I'll be picking these up piecemeal.

Still, it's nice that they're only $12.99 now, rather than $35 like they were when the SEs were first out.

You people that got into DVD after 1998 are just SPOILED, man.

I remember when the first 2DVD special edition came out and we were all like "Dang, TWO WHOLE DISCS?" and now people are dissapointed if something is ONLY 2 discs, and single disc releases just seem like a rip-off.

-- Jough
Old 04-16-03, 07:59 PM
Banned

Re: Bond dvd's to be fully restored and released in 2005

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
from thedvdforums.com

"I just found out that MGM will be re-releasing all of its James Bond titles from restored negatives and new 5.1 Dolby digital sound mixes in October 2005.
This gives us about two years to complete the restoration process. Except for "Dr. No," all of the music tracks for the 5.1 are being made from the original studio stereo recordings. Yesterday I got to go to the sound facility to hear the mix of "You Only Live Twice," the first film in the restoration process to be completed. You won't believe how great John Barry's music sounds in stereo surround!
Well this answers it for me. I'm holding off until then. Hell who knows by then that there may be Bond #21 by then.
Old 04-16-03, 08:35 PM
Rest in Peace

Except for Die Another Day which I have never seen, I have every one of the James Bond DVD with that sexy lady saying push to activate. That recorded lady just can't say *no* oh my sounds like Cherry of Cherry 2000 DVD *personal* robot.

I push the button and for some reason my finger prints have turned into James Bond's and I can view the Jamed Bond DVD. Series which I have grown up with since 1962 Dr. No Sean Connery, Ursula Undress. All time Bond Girl favorite Claudine Auger (awe jhay) as Domino Petuchi in Thunderball 1965.
Old 04-16-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm all for new transfers and sound mixes but I'm honestly happy enough with the DVD as is. If I was a huge Bond fan I'd be getting them but due to the number of films I won't upgrade these films again for a loooooooong time.
Old 04-16-03, 09:26 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

just a reminder that 2005 is two years away. no reason to not buy the current set of bond movies. that is unless you arn't that big of a fan anyways.
Old 04-17-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by babka
Why do studios give such silly dates? Talk about what you can do within the year. 2005 is a LONG time. I'll be into another hobby by then.
Hey, at least they'll be out before the next Star Wars DVD.

BTW, in the case of Tomorrow Never Dies, it will be the fifth release if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-17-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl
BTW, in the case of Tomorrow Never Dies, it will be the fifth release if I'm not mistaken.
There was:
1) the original movie-only disc
2) the silver-packaged SE
3) the reissued SE, same disc in different packaging.

I was under the impression that the disc recently issued was a re-release of #3. No?
Old 04-17-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
I was under the impression that the disc recently issued was a re-release of #3. No?
Correct. All of the 2002 Bond wave (and, presumably, the 2 waves this year) are identical to the last release -- same disc, transfer, extras, packaging, UPC code, etc.
Old 04-17-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll buy the current re-releases. If the 2005 editions are much better, then I'll just sell the current sets and buy those.
Old 04-17-03, 11:21 AM
Banned

1. I broke this story more than a year ago.

2. If there are more suplements on these new releases I don't care, I've got all the suplements I could ever watch on the current ones, I don't want to know more about Bond.

3. The only title I would buy again is OHMSS, but only if they fix the missing bits of footage.

4. For the early films (you know, the good ones) these 5.1's will just make the music sound better.

5. They better include original mono, because I'm an OSM (original sound mix) man.

6. I'd only buy the first 3 if the picture is significantly improved. All the others look good enough for me.
Old 04-17-03, 11:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Copenhagen
Enough already....what will that be the third time?

Mono audio turned into 5.1 tracks .. you bet

DTS audio (used for some of the later Bond movie releases but not given to us on the DVD) provided when they could have done it the first time ... no brainer ..

"Restored" (whatever that means to the marketing people) from negatives - improving video image .. a natural

Do it once again when some new audio or video technique - such as an Enhanced DVD format ... count on it

That that will end it and ya'll be happy campers? ... please ...

If they bet on this in Las Vegas. The bet being what would come first you're death (sorry for the morbid thought) or the end of all re-releases of the Connery Bond films - what do you think the odds would be?
Old 04-17-03, 03:29 PM

Well just in case the 5.1's do sound inferior & artificial. They better include the original soundtracks as well!

I don't have any of the films yet. Though whenever i can afford it. I may start buying some.

Though one question. Are the commentaries on some of the films new or previously recorded?

Just curious since i hear Criterion released about 3 Bond films on LD years ago. Yet the commentaries got them into some legal trouble since they were unPC or something..& thus have never been released since. What was so bad about the Criterion commentaries?
Old 04-17-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would hope we'd be into High Def DVD by then..........
Old 04-17-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is good news to me.

I have the Goldfinger SE, which is nice, but the picture quality is kind of so-so. It looks wonderful in most spots, but has plenty of bad parts as well.
Old 04-17-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this is true then MGM has plenty of time to do this without screwups this time around.

1. Actor's Commentary is a must to me as a Bond Fanatic!
2. Region 1 Box Set with a free space or two. Don't go el cheapo on us b/c we will be buying 20 dvds.
3. Original Cover Art! Most of the current ones don't bother me but the cover to For Your Eyes Only was butchered.
Old 04-17-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Yes, that's what I mean when I say the 2005 edition will be the fifth release (counting the reissues as releases). Of course, we may just get another reissue then.

BTW, will we really get all of them at once? I think they may want to spread them out, so we may be looking at 2006 for some of them.
Old 04-17-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....and in 2029 they will have DTS.

as it was said above...ENOUGH! Dig up the catalog titles!
Old 04-17-03, 11:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Only way I would rebuy these if they:

Kept original sound mix.
Remixed to a Great (i.e. not total screw up) 5.1 soundtrack.
Put DTS tracks onto the films that had a DTS track.
Remastered the video to look better than it does now.
Toss all the extras onto a second disc to utilize the first disc's space totally to the movie.

Sure it would end up with a 40 disc set, but that'd be the only way I'm rebuying these babies. I'd also welcome a re-issue of the Criterion's LDs just for the commentaries.
Old 04-18-03, 12:23 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll can wait for the new sets, no surprise that these films are being re-released. In fact I beleive that all movies will eventually be re-released, regardless of how many times they've been released before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.