Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is KiKi worth getting ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is KiKi worth getting ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is KiKi worth getting ?

I absolutely love Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky. I ordered both movies as it'll propably take another 12 years for them to be released in Europe.

The question I have is how KiKi compares to both these movies ? I have read the synopsis, and although the trailer looks great I am a bit unconvinced about the story line. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 04-16-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
This movie is so worth getting, its painful. Beautiful animation, touching storyline, wonderfully childlike but never childish. It's sheer delight, and one of Miyazaki's best and most accessible works.

Better than fruit cup!
Old 04-16-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved Kiki's delivery service more then Castle in the sky. The film is great and I enjoyed it a great deal. I would rate it right up their next to Spirited away.

the storyline.. a young witch is on her own in a normal city making it on her own. it's a great film and I would highly recommend it.
Old 04-16-03, 05:13 PM

Yes. If you like the genre and Miyazaki's style, then Kiki's should be part of your next purchase.

I had previously seen only parts of Kiki's on the Disney channel but it really impressed me. Mononoke, Spirited, and Castle were blind buys for me so I can't comment on how they compare.
Old 04-16-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes
Old 04-16-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Watched it first on Cartoon Network. Its a very good animated film and I liked it even more than Princess Mononoke which is one of my favorite Anime films. I'm looking forward to watching it with the Japanese subtitles.
Old 04-16-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen it before, watched a few times on the Disney channel, and it was actually one of the first movies I did a search for shortly after getting my DVD player. I wanted this on DVD way more than the other two, so my answer would be YES!!!
Old 04-16-03, 08:53 PM

I'll be honest (and I know this is an unpopular opinion) but I thought that MONONOKE and SPIRITED were both overlong and not as great as many here believe. I'm not much of a TOTORO fan either.

But KIKI was absolutely wonderful. I'd say it is right up there with the best of Disney. Even though the storyline may seem like it is just for kids, don't let it scare you away. I loved it.

It is the only one of the set I would think about getting.
Old 04-16-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
This is an informative thread for me. I've always had the impression (strictly from previews) that Kiki was more geared towards kids but now I realize I was wrong.
Old 04-16-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to threadcrap or anything but doesnt it seem like all of the Blindbuy threads that were so harrassed have now just changed their Titles from Is _____ a good Blind Buy? to Is ______ worth getting?
Old 04-16-03, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Everything is worth getting.

Don't stop until you've bought EVERY DVD.
Old 04-17-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not a fan of anima. Every clip or piece I've seen of anything makes me cringe and brings back memories of those awful, so-barely-animated, that-they-shouldn't- be-called-animated, Saturday morning cartoons. If you grew up (like I did) on Loony Tunes, you know how disappointing those toons were to watch.

However...for some unknown reason, I started watching and caught a good part of Kiki's Delivery Service on satellite last year. I missed some of it, along with the ending, but I found it to be throughly enjoyable and recommend it. Just a fascinating story. I'll be picking it up, as soon as I find it used for a good price. Based on my reaction to Kiki, I'll probably get Miyazaki's other films also. The only reason I'm not getting it new is because a lot of other DVDs I really want have just been released.
Old 04-17-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thank you guys for the info. I also thought this was a more minor work compared to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (largely due to the less-than enticing R1 cover art), but it looks like my prejudice was ill-founded.
Old 04-17-03, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you're just wondering about the movie, I'm moving this to Movie Talk.
Old 04-17-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes it is.
Old 04-17-03, 07:25 AM
Banned

Look! Just buy five or six copies of each Miyazaki disc just to insure that they’ll release Nausicaa and Porco Russo!

Everyone!

Seriously, though. This guy’s work is priceless. If you check it out, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Sure, some of his works are geared for children, but never sacrifice intelligence and quality to achieve that goal (kinda like The Iron Giant managed to be).
Old 04-17-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another vote for yes. I paid $50 for the reg. 2 version of this a while ago. It's one of my favorite movies.
Old 04-17-03, 12:59 PM

Ok guys, you all twisted my arm. Looks like I'm gonna have to order this one too.
Old 04-17-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mayazaki makes wonderful movies that kids happen to like. All of his movies are for kids, and all of his movies are for adults.

Kiki is wonderful. Totoro is wonderful. They are all wonderful.
Old 04-17-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Seeker
Mayazaki makes wonderful movies that kids happen to like. All of his movies are for kids, and all of his movies are for adults.

Kiki is wonderful. Totoro is wonderful. They are all wonderful.
(but the fox totoro release is full frame and dubbed only - a pain in the butt, and hurts a great movie.)
Old 04-17-03, 01:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
minor flaw, the English dub is okay, but Kristen Dunst' voice gets kind of whiney after awhile, listen to the Japanese language track to really appreciate the film.
Old 04-17-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
minor flaw, the English dub is okay, but Kristen Dunst' voice gets kind of whiney after awhile, listen to the Japanese language track to really appreciate the film.
That's what is great about these dvds - you can CHOOSE. At least these 3 dvds and mononoke were done right.
Old 04-17-03, 01:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
That's what is great about these dvds - you can CHOOSE. At least these 3 dvds and mononoke were done right.
oh and I completey agree, when I purchased "Porco Rosso" awhile back I listened to the French language dub, since I had read in a Miyazaki book that he thought the French dub was superior to the Japanese language track. (FYI: Jean Reno provides the voice for the film's title character)
Old 04-19-03, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Giles
Wow! It can’t be worse than Claire Danes’ “valley girl” interpretation of Mononoke Hime, though.

“Like, fer sure!” …

I am so glad to have discs with the real acting on them. It makes all the difference in the world.

(Happy note: these are selling like hotcakes here and I’m hoping that the next release will be a three shot as well! Disney is definitely not the wholesome company that they present themselves to be, but I won’t begrudge them a little more world domination if I can see the next three Ghiblis.)
Old 04-19-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I say yes...

My wife says, you must be stupid not to get it....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.