Community
Search

How many times can you watch a DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
How many times can you watch a DVD

I have one friend who has never bought a DVD because he remembers virtually every line of every movie he watches and has no desire to ever watch a movie a 2nd time. I have another friend who watches his DVDs until he can say the lines before the actors say them.

I myself have a memory kind of like a sieve and I can watch a DVD again a year later and it's practically like a new DVD to me. I have some DVDs which I have watched 7 times in a couple of years. Of course I remember certain scenes and I remember the overall "drift" of the DVD, but sometimes I am just as surprised at the ending as I was on the first watching.

How about you?
Old 04-15-03, 07:21 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some movie I have watched over 300 times is The Matrix, 150 times "Hackers" and I have a brain that retains memory as far back as 5 months after I was born 56 years ago.

I asked my mom did we ever have a soft blue in color rocker, I remember you singing me to sleep. My mother with her mouth agape was so startled then gained her composure and said that was the chair I nursed and sang you to sleep for the first 6 month of your life.

We sold the chair to your uncle who sold it to a friend of his, I can't believe you could remember that far back in early months after you were born! I was born in February of 1947 this incident happened 3 months ago in January of 2003. How many times will I watch the movies, as many times as I want I alive alone and am disabled.

I have been working with natural medicine since being taught starting in September of 1963, the last 10 years on how to prevent aging from natural nutrition which includes the brain. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by danol; 04-15-03 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I had a dollar for every time I watched some of my DVDs...id be pretty darn rich
Old 04-15-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on the movie. Some I can watch every day while others I can only watch when the mood for them hits.
Old 04-15-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've burned the glorious green herb for years and my memory is still just fine. if you read lots of books and exercise your mind...your brain will work wonders, even as you grow older. crackheads and methfreaks are out of luck however, since they'll be dead by 40 anyway. but to just answer the question...I'll watch a dvd/film as often as I want...because of the enjoyment and research factor.
Old 04-15-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. This topic went from DVD's to memory to weed...I'll bring it back down to earth.

I watch many of my DVD's over and over again (The One, The Rock, Snatch, Res. Dogs), and some are just for certain moods.
Old 04-15-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
depends on my mood, I'd say Risky Business and Ferris Buller both have been played more than any other DVDs
Old 04-15-03, 08:22 PM

I can watch any of my favorite movies countless times and never get tired of them, even if I have them memorized line for line. Whether I remember every part of them isn't important; what's important is that warm fuzzy feeling I get when I watch a good movie

This is why I always buy, never rent. And with 48 movies in my rapidly growing collection, I haven't gone wrong yet

Oh, and another thing. For some reason I can watch the Resident Evil dvd on an almost weekly basis and never get tired of it. Could have something to do with the exceptional production quality; It's one of the best looking and sounding dvds that I own. I also like movies that focus on elite forces and military infiltration teams. Or maybe I just like guns and explosions. Or gibbering zombies.

The fact that Milla Jovovich stars in it is also definitely a good reason

*shrug*

Last edited by Rehevkor; 04-15-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 08:27 PM

You might find this hard to believe but out of two years of buying DVDs, I have only watched one for a second time. That was last week.
Old 04-15-03, 09:31 PM

"Some movie I have watched over 300 times is The Matrix, 150 times "Hackers" and I have a brain that retains memory as far back as 5 months after I was born 56 years ago."
By Danol...

My goodness!
I would be smashing my head against a wall after the 10th time!
300 times???

How many frekles does Trinity have on her clevage?

I bet you can bend a spoon after all that training, and visual aid...

Let me be the first to say that this is the real world, you stop eating oatmeal all day, go have a steak for God's sake
Old 04-15-03, 09:41 PM

Re: How many times can you watch a DVD

Originally posted by danwiz
I myself have a memory kind of like a sieve and I can watch a DVD again a year later and it's practically like a new DVD to me.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who's like this.
Old 04-15-03, 09:59 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's only a few movies that I can watch again and again. I'd say probably 10 - 15 times average per year for one movie.
Old 04-15-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some films are worth many, many viewings. I think I've watched North By Northwest, 8 1/2, Moulin Rouge!, City Lights, Metropolis: restored, Help!, Who Framed Roger Rabbit: SE, Being There, and Snow White about 50 times each. I love those films.
Old 04-16-03, 12:55 AM

3 movies i have watched at least 20 times: bring it on, big daddy, and ocean's 11.
Old 04-16-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have seen Star Wars, Empire and Jedi at least 1000+ times for each movie in my life time and still dont get tired of it. Seen Goonies probably 50+ times. JC's The Thing 20+. and a few other personal favs about 10-20+ times if not more. I love watching movies over and over again. I can never go to bed without watching some DVD...
Old 04-16-03, 01:37 AM

Nice anectdote about your infant memoery....but this is of course impossible. Several studies have demonstrated that the hippocampus is not sufficiently developed prior to 24 months to support long term memories.

There numerous explanations for what you report...none of them involve an actual memory.
Old 04-16-03, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sometimes I'll watch a new DVD maybe 4 or 5 times before "retiring" out of the "newly purchased" section of my DVD shelf.

There are a few I've seen MANY times (Top Gun, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, South Park: BLAU, Star Wars Episodes 1 & 2, Hurlyburly, Boogie Nights, High Fidelity, The Matrix, 8 1/2, The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Rushmore, Citizen Kane, Se7en, Being John Malkovich, Three Kings, Goldfinger) but most I'll watch from time to time.

I've been getting a lot of new ones lately so I've been watching more of those - but I'm sure I'll revisit the old favourites again and again.

-- Jough
Old 04-16-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got plenty of discs that I'm sure I've seen well over a hundred times. I just don't like to think of all that time used up!
Old 04-16-03, 10:11 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jasonnaper
[B]"Some movie I have watched over 300 times is The Matrix, 150 times "Hackers" and I have a brain that retains memory as far back as 5 months after I was born 56 years ago."
By Danol...

Well! since you watched: The Matrix over 300 times, then maybe you can explain to me on what the hell was the plot of that movie.
I couldn't make heads or tails of it, and I watched it three times. or maybe, I just didn't like it. I can't imagine anyone to view a movie over 300 times for that matter.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 04-16-03 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:21 AM

I made a conscious decision when I made the jump from VHS and created a list from all the titles I had at that point. The only ones that made the list were those that I would watch at least twice a year.

Some of the titles in my collection get much heavier repeat play, even after I've had them for a while. Some get monthly viewings, like Casablance, Seven Samurai, Moulin Rouge, and The Maltese Falcon.

I find that the ones that get more frequent viewings than monthly are typically movies I've purchased recently, so the titles that get this heavy repeat viewing is constantly changing.
Old 04-16-03, 10:37 AM

before i was into dvd, i'd watch my beat up old copies of the big lebowski and fight club at least 2-3 times a week. but with dvd, i find myself watching PARTS of movies all the time, rather than the whole thing.

things i seem to watch often: the coke scam in boogie nights (great music!), the beginning and the hilarious ending of battle royale, various zombie smashing and people eating in zombie, the beginning of moulin rogue, not to mention random episodes of the simpsons and insomniac.
Old 04-16-03, 10:58 AM

Think it depends on the mood your in... but, .... I think all of us will latch onto one specific movie, and pretty much be able to watch it over and over... mine is Zoolander, I have probably watched it over 600 times... and still watch it at least 3 times a week.... It just makes me laugh..
Old 04-16-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I went from 21 inch TV to a 42 inch Plasma I went over a good deal of my collection as if I saw them for the first time. I went back to 'Lost in Space' which I have not seen in years. I usually get one brand new (never seen) movie a week but the rest that make up my weekly viewing are out of my collection. I try to get in 9 a week. If it's raining over the weekend I can do 4 in one day. I don't think I viewed anything over 10 times, intact. I may go to my favorite scene but not the entire movie. It takes about 3 viewings over 2 weeks till I retire a new movie for awhile and go on to something else.
Old 04-16-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have seen everything in my 600-800+ collection at least twice.

Star Wars OT films at least 1000+ like others here
Dawn of the Dead I watch religiously as well!
Old 04-16-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw 3 or 4 times for the ones I really like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.