Community
Search

Trouble finding KiKi at BB??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble finding KiKi at BB??

Hi all! Did anyone else experience the KiKi's Delivery Service shortage at Best Buy? The one near me didn't get a single copy in today and from the phone calls, neither did any other area stores (MD/DC/VA)! It especially sucks since they had the deal where you buy KiKi/Castle In the Sky/Spirited Away and get Princess Mononoke free but only when they were all on the same receipt. THere were a LOT of people asking about it. I went next door to Barnes & Noble and they had 1 copy for $30! I think I will wait until BB gets them back for 19.99.

Sam
Old 04-15-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been reading about the Kiki no shows at BB on different forums. Fortunately, my local BB(Orange, Connecticut) had an abundance of all 3, plus quite a few of Princess Mononoke.
Old 04-15-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My BB had all three, but they were out of Princess Monoknoke. It looked like they had only had 5 in the section before they sold out.

I guess that's a good way to avoid giving out free discs.
Old 04-15-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My BB had it this morning, it is now sold out.
Old 04-15-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kiki's

I experienced this today. I showed up at Best Buy in Tallahassee, FL at 10:20 this morning, which is much earlier than I would usually go. They had about 8 copies of Princess Mononoke, 3 copies of Castle in the sky, No Kiki's, and from what I was told, 120 Spirited Aways. It turns out they had a purchase order for about 33 Kiki's, but they hadn't shown up yet. They gave me a rain check for Kiki's and told me to buy Princess, Castle and Spirited Away. When Kiki's came in they said to bring the others back with the receipt and they could then do the deal. At 1:30, I got a call saying Kiki's was now in. So I traisped back to Best Buy, and was able to get the deal. It was a lot more trouble than I wanted to deal with, but it worked out. By the way, when I went back they had received more Mononokes and Castles as well
Old 04-15-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I got Kiki and Castle in the Sky last week - which is a good thing because BB sold out of both copies they had of each title within minutes of opening today.

More surprising was that they also sold out of the Family Guy set within one hour.
Old 04-15-03, 06:03 PM

Kiki may be in short supply in many areas for a week or two. Disney had some production problems and shipments of this title are running late.
Old 04-15-03, 07:03 PM

No trouble here. BB had at least 30 each of all four titles back on the shelves and another 10 each on a table up front.
Old 04-15-03, 07:11 PM

Howdy,
I picked up all three at the Best Buy in Rockville, MD this afternoon (around 2:00). They seemed to have plenty of them -- but only a few Mononokes left.
Old 04-15-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Howdy,
I picked up all three at the Best Buy in Rockville, MD this afternoon (around 2:00). They seemed to have plenty of them -- but only a few Mononokes left.
Thanks for the heads up Bandit! If it weren't for their chaotic parking lot I would go there right now! I'll check tomorrow.

Sam
Old 04-15-03, 08:02 PM

In Denver, CO there was plenty, but the checker said they were selling so many that they thought they were going to sell out.
Old 04-15-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by Sweet Baby James
I've been reading about the Kiki no shows at BB on different forums. Fortunately, my local BB(Orange, Connecticut) had an abundance of all 3, plus quite a few of Princess Mononoke.
SWEET!

Old 04-15-03, 10:26 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy in bowie had about 20-30 copies of Spirited Away. They only had 1 copy of Castle in the Sky and 2 of Kiki's Delivery Service.

But this was also at about 8pm so i dont know how many they got total.

Viper22
Old 04-15-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Kiki's

Originally posted by jrsl76
They gave me a rain check for Kiki's and told me to buy Princess, Castle and Spirited Away. When Kiki's came in they said to bring the others back with the receipt and they could then do the deal.
Same thing here. First Best Buy I went to didn't get any of them in. Second BB had all but Kiki's. Hopefully they will get some in tomorrow.
Old 04-15-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to 2 Best Buys, Circuit City and 2 Targets without finding KIKI before finally finding it at FYE. It sucked pretty bad
Old 04-15-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best Buy in Frederick, MD had plenty of all three, but NO Mononoke Hime!!! Got a rain check for a free Mononoke Hime.
Old 04-16-03, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted over in the Bargains forum, but here's the summary:

Went to Wal-marts, both of which had all three at $19.99, but none with the "$4 off when you buy any 2 of these 3" stickers.

Best Buy had SA and CITS, but neither had the $4 coupon, and they had NO copies of KDS. SA was $19.99, CITS was $22.99.

Circuit City had only SA, and they didn't have coupons. $19.99.

Target had SA and CITS with the coupons, but no KDS.

So, I bought SA and CITS at $17.99 at Target (using the $4 off coupon), then opened up the disc to get the $2 off coupon, and got KDS for $17.99 at Wal-Mart.
Old 04-16-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Note: Amazon has also delayed shipment of some of these discs. My 3 disc set isn't shipping out until next week.

Oh, that's fine Amazon...I've only been waiting FIVE FREAKING YEARS!

What's another week going to do...
Old 04-16-03, 10:52 AM

The Kiki's at my BB was hidden with the Disney DVDs.. bottom shelf. The other DVDs were in the anime or new release sections.
Old 04-16-03, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Thanh
The Kiki's at my BB was hidden with the Disney DVDs.. bottom shelf. The other DVDs were in the anime or new release sections.
At my BB, SA was in the "new releases" section. CITS and Mononoke were in the anime section. I checked both Anime and Disney section for KDS, but couldn't find it. I'm surprised they dropped the ball on this one, seeing as how even Wal-Mart had a nice big cardboard display.
Old 04-16-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my Kiki from DVDPlanet yesterday, but just got back from Best BUy and they didn't have any Kiki's left, but there were still quite a few Spirited Away's. They probably ordered twenty times as many copies though.
Old 04-16-03, 01:30 PM

I hit my Best Buy at about 10:20 Tuesday, on my way to work. They had plenty of copies of Spirited Away in the new release section, but had the other discs buried away in the Anime section. They had 10 or so copies of Castle in the Sky, but only two copies each of Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke (the second of which was misplaced on the shelf), which were purchased by myself an a lady who was also buying the bundle. I feel sorry for anyone who went there looking for the complete bundle.
Old 04-16-03, 04:23 PM

If anyone has trouble buying the complete bundle at BB, ask an associate to give you a raincheck. Buy the ones they do have, keep the receipt, the raincheck, the sunday flyer (just in case) and wait until they recieve the one your missing. They should be able to honor the special price when it does come in.

I did this back when they had the Road to Perdition/American Beauty special. I was waiting for American Beauty for about three weeks and had no problems.
Old 04-17-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For Denver area DVDTalkers:

The Best Buy at Mississippi & I-225 has Spirited Away, Kiki, Castle in the Sky, but no Mononoke.

The store at Colorado Blvd. & I-25 has dozens of all four titles.
Old 04-17-03, 02:56 AM

BB in Burbank, CA had Spirited Away and Kiki but no Castle or Princess. I made some clerk give me a rain check after i "joked" about them hiding the Mononoke DVD so that they wouldn't have to give them away.
He also said that management had no idea that many people would come in to buy Kiki and Castle In The Sky....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.