Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My GameCube Broke :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 02:53 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My GameCube Broke :(

When it tries to read the disc the laser just clicks, as if it were trying to go to0 far and hitting the plastic edge. Two questions, is there a cheap fix and if not, where can I get a Cube on the very cheap side.
Old 04-15-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy a GC at the same place you bought your broken one and pull the bait and switch and return the broken one to the same place,or call Nintendo and have them fix it for free.
Old 04-15-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDHO
Buy a GC at the same place you bought your broken one and pull the bait and switch and return the broken one to the same place,or call Nintendo and have them fix it for free.

That works real well when they scan the Serial Number off the actual console when you buy it. Now if you switch the guts of the system....
Old 04-15-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah most places scan the serial number to ring it up... if not all... you would probably get caught.. you can get a refurbed one for 90 bucks at ebgames... or you can see if my deal falls through and buy mine with animal crossing and zelda
Old 04-15-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Is your Gamecube out of warranty? I haven't really heard the horror stories about Nintendo that I have about Sony, so I'm pretty sure customer support is helpful. Unless you dropped it off a table or something.
Old 04-15-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
Is your Gamecube out of warranty? I haven't really heard the horror stories about Nintendo that I have about Sony, so I'm pretty sure customer support is helpful. Unless you dropped it off a table or something.
As much as I hate Sony (and I do).. I'd like to hear the horror stories you are talking about. A friend of mine had his PS2 since release day and his TOTALLY died a few months ago. AFAIK they repaired it at no cost, way outside of warranty. With as much as I like pointing out that the PS1/PS2 probably has a good 1 year lifespan, I will give them credit for the great customer support they gave my friend.
Old 04-15-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
It does seem like Sony is perfectly willing to replace most people's defective Playstation 2s (Disk Read Error) for free, so I applaud them for that. And of course the minority who don't get the free replacement will be the most vocal.

But in general, Sony offers pitiful warranties on their electronics products. For instance, I order many Sony Vaio laptops for my company, and they've all had problems right when the warranty expired.

Also, I'm a little peeved by the fact that they still refuse to acknowledge the manufacturing errors inherent in both PS1 and PS2. At least the PS2 they are replacing (and mine is showing the signs of dying), but so many PS1s had to be played upside down or had skipping cinemas (including mine).

On the other hand, I've heard very few complaints about the quality of Nintendo products. So maybe it's not so much the customer service as it is the product itself.
Old 04-15-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That works real well when they scan the Serial Number off the actual console when you buy it. Now if you switch the guts of the system....
i pulled the bait and switch with wal-mart and borken xbox, no problems. they didnt scan the serial number on the back.

i would go for it.
Old 04-15-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There may be lots of people who do the switch thing with retailers, but you have to know that it's basically a form of fraud. So, open discussion about it is probably not encouraged on this site, much less actually advising people how to best do it.

In any event, I agree that I'd like Sony warranties to be longer, but I don't know that MS or Nintendo warranty's are any better in that regard. Also, I know we see lots of posts and complaints about PS2's breaking down in one way or another, but keep in mind there's 50 million of them out there. There may be more broken PS2's in absolute terms, but I have yet to see any credible source confirm that it has a much higher failure rate.
Old 04-15-03, 06:25 PM

Here is a link that may be helpful if you are within a year of ownership.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/index.jsp
Old 04-15-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by belboz
There may be lots of people who do the switch thing with retailers, but you have to know that it's basically a form of fraud. So, open discussion about it is probably not encouraged on this site, much less actually advising people how to best do it.

In any event, I agree that I'd like Sony warranties to be longer, but I don't know that MS or Nintendo warranty's are any better in that regard. Also, I know we see lots of posts and complaints about PS2's breaking down in one way or another, but keep in mind there's 50 million of them out there. There may be more broken PS2's in absolute terms, but I have yet to see any credible source confirm that it has a much higher failure rate.
Nintendo's warranty is a year. The others are 90 days, I believe. I realize MS & SONY are fixing consoles outside of that period, but the fact is that yes Nintendo's stated warranty is longer than the others.
Old 04-16-03, 01:37 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

naw, my gc is 16 months old. no chance of a warrenty repair. I'm gonna have to email them and see if i can fanagle something or even contact the local NOA rep and see if i could get her to do something.