Reload this Page >

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie DVD release info

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anime fans have been waiting for this announcement for a while. On June 24th, Columbia TriStar will release the DVD of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie in the US for a MSRP of $27.95. The DVD will feature 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen video and Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes in both English and Japanese. Here are the special features:

The Making of Cowboy Bebop: 6 behind the scenes features.

"Ask DNA" music video.

"Gotta Knock a Little Harder" music video.

Concept art galleries.

Storyboard comparisons.

Character profiles.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/393/393509p1.html?fromint=1

Lookin' good. though I would have liked a different cover of it. Don't forget to watch it in a theater near you right now.
Old 04-14-03, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Far out! Can't wait for this one. I've been avoiding picking up an ebay import. The movie opens on the big screen here in Portland this weekend. I'll be in line to see that as well as chomping at the bit to buy this DVD.
Old 04-14-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info Jack.
Old 04-14-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No Jet, Ein, Ed, or Vincent on the cover?

While I have seen this movie already more times than I can count, I will still pick it up on dvd, but I just wish that it had a better cover.
Old 04-14-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, the covers for the show were slick. I also don't like how there are critic quotes especially the lame "The Hottest Kind of Cool." It would be cool if they had the soundtrack with the DVD like the Escaflowne release. Oh well, I'll be the first in line for the sucker.
Old 04-14-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll definitely be picking up this one. Just finished watching the Session #2 DVD tonight. I am really enjoying the series!
Old 04-14-03, 10:33 PM

i've been trying to watch this in the theater but haen't had the time. Is this a good blind purchase? I've never seen the series but have heard great things. The last two anime I saw (in the theater, no less) without any foreknowledge were Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which I loved and now own on dvd, and Metropolis, which I liked and was moved by but don't feel the need to own.... umm just to give some sense of comparison.

Last edited by minguy; 04-14-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 12:14 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Cowboy Bebop: The Movie DVD release info

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

I'll take it.

If they shall come up with a Superbit version of it, I'll take that too (DTS)!
Old 04-15-03, 12:34 AM

i'm all over this. and will probably shell the extra funding to get one of those metals cases with the extra space for the movie. just needa run across some money. maybe i'll mug someone.
Old 04-15-03, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by minguy
i've been trying to watch this in the theater but haen't had the time. Is this a good blind purchase? I've never seen the series but have heard great things. The last two anime I saw (in the theater, no less) without any foreknowledge were Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which I loved and now own on dvd, and Metropolis, which I liked and was moved by but don't feel the need to own.... umm just to give some sense of comparison.
Cowboy Bebop is pretty serialized, so I wouldn't recommend seeing the movie out of context, as it comes towards the end of the series in the storyline (although it was released after the series was completed).

However, the entire series is absolutely incredible, easily my favorite anime, so well written and animated. Incredible stuff.

The movie is not the best part of the series, when you compare it to the entire run, it is somewhere in the middle. It's definately cool (especially the dogfight sequence towards the end), and worth checking out, but I would recommend watching the entire series, I promise you won't regret it.
Old 04-15-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Really looking forward to this. I've seen all the episodes and love the voicework by the english cast. It was wishful thinking but I was hoping for a commentary by the actors. Behind the scenes would be cool but part of me doesn't want to know what they look like. Maybe it'll just feature the principal creators.

I wish I could've seen this in the theatres but like most films that interest me, there aren't any in my area that are showing it. Glad I don't have to wait until the Fall or something.
Old 04-15-03, 10:13 AM

Doesn't the movie have a subtitle, Knocking on Heaven's Door, I believe? Or was that taken off the American release? I saw it last week in Boston and noticed that it ws just called Cowboy Bebop.

And does anyone know why Columbia Tristar is releasing the DVD, as opposed to Bandai, who released the series? I was expecting a release similar to the Escaflowne LE.
Old 04-15-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anybody know if they are going to release the soundtrack? I don't really want to spend 30+ to import it.
Old 04-15-03, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by VamPirateXXX
And does anyone know why Columbia Tristar is releasing the DVD, as opposed to Bandai, who released the series? I was expecting a release similar to the Escaflowne LE.
I believe CB:KOHD was a Sony Pictures release so it's not too surprising that CTS got it.
Old 04-15-03, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by VamPirateXXX
Doesn't the movie have a subtitle, Knocking on Heaven's Door, I believe? Or was that taken off the American release? I saw it last week in Boston and noticed that it ws just called Cowboy Bebop.
it was taken out for copyright needs. was a title of a song or album of some sort.
Old 04-15-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Sony got the distribution rights for america on the movie where bandai just got the rights to release the series. the name was changed because as mentioned above, legal reasons to the song.
Old 04-15-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont own the sessions yet but watched all epi.on Adult Swim recently and cant wait for this disc to show up on shelves,I think I might pick up the sessions also since its my fav.anime series,great news and thanks 8)
Old 04-16-03, 08:01 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally posted by Surf Monkey
Far out! Can't wait for this one. I've been avoiding picking up an ebay import. The movie opens on the big screen here in Portland this weekend. I'll be in line to see that as well as chomping at the bit to buy this DVD.
I think you might be jumping the gun there, Monkey. My Cinema 21 calendar shows it coming May 2.

Unless it's showing somewhere else?
Old 04-16-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's currently being shown in many different locations. it opened up Apirl 4th in NY and L.A. and since then opened up a lot more places. Check your local listings.
Old 04-16-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This link should help you locate a theater near you that has it-
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf...&id=1808428290
Old 05-04-03, 02:19 PM
Cool New Member

Yes!

Oh, hell yes! I've been waiting to hear something about this DVD release for a while now. Thanks for the info, Jackskeleton. Christmas would be to long of a wait for me.

I'm especially excited about the widescreen format of this DVD.
Old 05-04-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought the "Perfect Sessions" box set and have been a Bebop fan ever since. I'll be picking up one of the first copies of this movie.
Old 05-05-03, 01:24 AM
Cool New Member

This is awesome...Bebop is a great anime...good to see this movie getting the treatment it deserves.

VTS
Old 05-09-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it playing anywhere subtitled? I'm not seeing it because it's not near me. I'd only want to see the original version.

The cover is discusting. Blah! but that's what custom covers are for. I'm annoyed that the titles will be changed to remove "Knocking on Heaven's Door" (I belive it wasn't written in english anyways) but it's a small price to pay.

Anyways, they'd have to screw this up worse then a disc made by Manga Entertainment for me not to buy it
Old 05-18-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When will some reviews be out (Maybe they are already, I don't know) I want to make sure it's not screwed up...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.