Search

Details on upcoming 'Silent Night, Deadly Night'/'Halloween' DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Details on upcoming 'Silent Night, Deadly Night'/'Halloween' DVDs

From http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=983 :

Anchor Bay has announced details on a few of their upcoming special-edition DVDs, and the company’s Michael Felsher revealed to Fango that Christmas will come early for killer-Santa fans this year: SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT and SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2 will be arriving as a double-feature disc package October 7. Special features have yet to be announced, but the Anchor Bay folks are doing their best to stuff the stocking for this release.
Felsher also confirmed that Anchor Bay has snagged the audio commentary from Criterion’s HALLOWEEN laserdisc to use on its two-disc 25th Anniversary Edition, streeting August 5, which will boast a new high-definition transfer. The second disc will feature an hour-long documentary (an expansion of AMC’s BACKSTORY program about the film) and other extras.
Old 04-14-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
outstanding! count me in for all.
Old 04-14-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks good..can't wait
Old 04-14-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
NAUGHTY!

BTW, does anyone know what year the Criterion commentary for Halloween was recorded?
Old 04-14-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

High-Def Halloween
Old 04-14-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT and SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2 will be arriving as a double-feature disc package October 7. Special features have yet to be announced, but the Anchor Bay folks are doing their best to stuff the stocking for this release.
Woohoo!! Thanks for the great news!

Rob
Old 04-14-03, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been holding off buying Halloween for years. Now is the time. Thanks Anchor Bay and Criterion, you've made me very happy!
Old 04-14-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Kick ass news on the Halloween disc. Looks like I'll have to double-dip on this one. I wish they would include the extended edition on the disc with seamless branching or something... or at least include the additional scenes in a deleted scene section.
Old 04-14-03, 08:53 PM

I dont know about this one, if they add more supplements and the different edition (tv), then I may have to "double dip".
Old 04-14-03, 09:18 PM

Great news. &nbsp This new Halloween: 25th Anniversary Edition sounds really nice.
Old 04-14-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Having just listened to Carpenter's commentary on the new Assault on Precinct 13 (also lifted from a laserdisc) I'm really pleased to see that the Criterion commentary for Halloween has been made available - great news!
Old 04-14-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool they are putting Silent Night, Deadly Night parts 1 and 2 together, I can't wait to have the SAME movie twice on the discs. Those who have seen part 2 know what I am talking about. But awesome news anyway.

Last edited by cerial442; 04-14-03 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 11:01 PM

Anchor Bay has announced details on a few of their upcoming special-edition DVDs, and the company’s Michael Felsher revealed to Fango that Christmas will come early for killer-Santa fans this year: SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT and SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2 will be arriving as a double-feature disc package October 7. Special features have yet to be announced, but the Anchor Bay folks are doing their best to stuff the stocking for this release.
Woohoo! I can't wait.

Garbage Day!
Old 04-14-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cerial442
Cool they are putting Silent Night, Deadly Night parts 1 and 2 together, I can't wait to have the SAME movie twice on the discs. Those who have seem part 2 know what I am talking about. But awesome news anyway.
Yeah really, they should just save themselves the effort and money and just release part 2. Still cool though, I'll be sure to pick both up.
Old 04-15-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I dont have Halloween yet, this will be perfect to buy!!!
Old 04-15-03, 06:04 AM

What the heck? I thought those "snobs" at Criterion never,EVER loaned their supplements to other companies. Is this a new trend? Did Anchor Bay make them an offer they couldn't refuse,or something?
Anyway,even though I have Anchor Bay's limited two disc set of Halloween (with the theatrical and TV version on it) I most likely will pick up the new version.
Old 04-15-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally posted by keith71
Is this a new trend?
No. CTHV's Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD also included the Criterion commentary, just to name one.

Anyway,even though I have Anchor Bay's limited two disc set of Halloween (with the theatrical and TV version on it) I most likely will pick up the new version.
Likewise, though the "TV version" wasn't the actual TV version -- it just had the shot-for-TV scenes inserted. None of the edits that were made for broadcast TV are present.

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Yeah really, they should just save themselves the effort and money and just release part 2.
That was the original plan. But hey, some of us want to see those...three minutes or whatever that are exclusive to the original!
Old 04-15-03, 07:51 AM
Suspended

I'm very excited to here the news about Anchor Bay's new release of Halloween. A new high-def transfer is very welcome and finally snagging the rights to the Criterion audio commentary from their laserdisc is quite an achievement. I've never heard the commentary(I believe it is with John Carpenter,Jamie Lee Curtis, and Debra Hill?) but most who have say that it is a good one. I remenber reading that Anchor Bay tried to get the rights to this for their 2 Disc LE DVD version a number of years ago but Criterion would not give it up. Many at the time regretted the fact that this audio commentary would never be heard again since there was little chance that Criterion would ever get the rights to Halloween again and were not, at the time, willing to part with it. Also, I understand Carpenter,etc. were not interested in recording a new audio commentary leaving the Anchor Bay 2 Disc LE without a commentary. An hour long expanded version of AMC's Backstory(which I thought was very good) is icing on the cake. As a fan of the film, this is definately worth a double dip. Can't wait until August 5th
Old 04-15-03, 07:58 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Can't wait to pick up Halloween.
Old 04-15-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I currently own the 2000 edition Halloween the picutre quality is pretty good but a new transfer and commentary is worth the upgrade for sure

ps I've never seen Silent Night, Deadly Night are they any good??

Thanks
Old 04-15-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shanester
I currently own the 2000 edition Halloween the picutre quality is pretty good but a new transfer and commentary is worth the upgrade for sure

ps I've never seen Silent Night, Deadly Night are they any good??

Thanks
Part I is pretty frickin cool. PUNISH!!!
Part II has a 40-minute flashback of the first, so there isn't a whole lot of new material. I did get a laugh out of it though, because it is just horrible when
Spoiler:
he goes on his killing spree laughing maniacally.

I never felt the urge to watch 3-5.
Old 04-15-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
You're welcome everyone.

Yes, I'm one of the ones that bought Halloween Criterion and BladeRunner Criterion on LaserDisc. First the BR DVD was announced to probably have the theatrical cut, now this commentary news.

I wonder why this hasn't worked for the original editions of the Star Wars trilogy....?
Old 04-15-03, 11:53 PM

Ugh, another double dip.

All I can say is that this better be the LAST Halloween release.

Can't help but wonder that should they not include their usual token DTS tracks that AB will save that for another release down the road
Old 04-16-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by keith71
What the heck? I thought those "snobs" at Criterion never,EVER loaned their supplements to other companies. Is this a new trend? Did Anchor Bay make them an offer they couldn't refuse,or something?
This is terrific news! Thanks for posting it!

Keith,

Anchor Bay and Criterion are said to have extremely good business relationships with each other. I would assume this simply b/c they are two of the biggest non-studio release companies.

If Anchor Bay get the Halloween comm, I'm sure they will repay the favor somehow.
Old 04-16-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think SND 2 & Hills Have Eyes 2 are two of the worst films i thankfully don't remember(saw them as kids..never again since!) that use a overuse of flashbacks!

Of course their is one difference. Part 1 is easily available uncensored on video. I'm not sure if the R version was ever released on video,since the BlockBuster near my house carries the uncut release(& this store blows chucks by only getting rated versions!). Anyway part 2 has only been released in R rated form & uses the R rated footage from part 1. So your missing some gore basically.

Yet maybe SND 2 will have some camp value if i dare to see it again?

I do like the original though. Thats a really well made low budget slasher that is part psychological drama & part camp slasher. Lets hope the dvd is the uncut version!

btw...how much are the Halloween & Army LE's going for on ebay? If they're still going for a fair amount. I may auction them off together..i need the $$$...+ can just buy the latest releases later on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.