Any news on Bowling for Columbine?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I'll have much success with this, as I haven't been able to find anything about a new release date, but I am hoping that someone knows if a new release date has been set for Bowling for Columbine.

THANKS!
Old 04-14-03, 02:36 PM

I haven't heard anything new... but I am posting so that if anybody else has I want to hear about it...
Old 04-14-03, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
No release date as of yet. Expect modified packaging with info about it being the Academy award winner for best documentary.
Old 04-14-03, 02:56 PM
Banned

Deleted yet another off-topic political post in the wrong place. Why do you think we have the Other and War forum? - Static
Old 04-14-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Imhotep
Deleted - SC

Thanks for your valued input on this issue.
Old 04-14-03, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Numanoid

Thanks for your valued input on this issue.
Blah blah blah deleted - SC
Old 04-14-03, 03:07 PM

Nuh uh - SC
yea... and isn't freedom of speech grand! even idiots are allowed to express their opinions.

However... there does seem to be quite a following for this man and his works... even as we speak his book "Stupid White Men" is #8 on Amazons best seller list.
Old 04-14-03, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Buying or not buying a DVD isn't really a matter of principles.

I judge films on pretty much a basic criterion: Is this a good film?

I don't care if Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and Saddam Hussein got together and co-produced this film. It's a brilliant and important film and a lot of people really should see it.

And please note that I do not lump Michael Moore into the same category of the above dictators. I was just using an extreme example - I happen to like Michael Moore and think he's a good filmmaker and a much-needed watchdog of corporate atrocity.

But I believe this thread was about the release of a DVD, not people's opinion of the filmmaker.

Crappers. :P

-- Jough
Old 04-14-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Well since this thread is about a new release date for this DVD I will say I check daily to see when this is coming up. Haven't heard a thing yet. As for certain people that like to thread crap about this movie, I think that belongs in the Movie Talk section. But then, there are people out there that don't use their heads much.
Old 04-14-03, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
MY GOD, that is the coolest emoticon EVER!
Old 04-14-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope - SC

In case you didn't notice, this thread is about the release date for the dvd... It's not a platform for you to promote your "principles"... Nice

I've heard no new news on a release date for this title...
Old 04-14-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jough
I don't care if Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and Saddam Hussein got together and co-produced this film. It's a brilliant and important film and a lot of people really should see it.
I don't think that I'd go this far. That's just ridiculous.
Old 04-14-03, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Dabaomb,

So you wouldn't buy a film by someone you found morally reprensible regardless of the quality of the film?
Old 04-14-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of those people win Oscars
Old 04-14-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
No - SC
Another person who has not bothered to watch the movie feels entitled to criticize it based on a complete misunderstanding of its content. How original.
Old 04-14-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying or not buying a DVD isn't really a matter of principles.
Actually, it is.

Art (movies, etc.) is a barometer of one's philosophy or ideas. Show me what a man values in movies, music, and literature and I will show you what he values in life.
Old 04-14-03, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by DavidH
Actually, it is.

Art (movies, etc.) is a barometer of one's philosophy or ideas. Show me what a man values in movies, music, and literature and I will show you what he values in life.
In that case... let me be the first to say... that I will be hononed to have "Bowling" up on my shelf! And for those who complain about the movie and have yet to actually see it... I guess ignorance is truly bliss.
Old 04-14-03, 04:59 PM
Banned

I thought this title was already announced? Was it cancelled? Why?
Old 04-14-03, 05:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

This is not the Other Forum.

Let's keep the discussion on topic... the release date for Bowling for Columbine. That's IT. Also, please don't quote threadcrappers... just report them. The more you quote, the more has to be edited. Thanks for making our jobs easier.
Old 04-14-03, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DavidH
It's only a barometer of one's philosophical ideas if you can judge a release by the ART, not the politics of its maker. Yes, of course the filmmaker's politics are going to enter the film (especially in Moore's case) but to not buy a film based not on the film itself but on comments made completely outside the film isn't a matter of principle about whether or not someone is going to make a DVD purchase - it's just a buying decision.

-- Jough
Old 04-14-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I thought this title was already announced? Was it cancelled? Why?
Rumor was that it was delayed to add more supplemental material. A good reason in my eyes.
Old 04-14-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jough,

My statement should be made more clear. My point was in the context of your comment "Buying or not buying a DVD isn't really a matter of principles." If buy something I like, then it's a reflection of what I believe or enjoy which stems from my ideas, which may be conscious or unconscious, explicit or implicit.

Of course, I could buy it just to analyze it - like the Hitler example. Many people who read his book certainly didn't agree with him, but were curious or wanted to analyze it. This would not mean they I share Hitler's values, of course. With that being said, I wouldn't buy anything that would let these guys make money if they were alive --- but this is all a different topic.

I agree the thread should stay on topic. I just wanted to clarify myself.
Old 04-14-03, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Okay, here's ME clarifying myself.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that Steven Spielberg is found to have the bodies of 40 little girls buried under his house. Let's hope this never comes true, I'm just making up some gruesome scenario.

The following week, "Shindler's List" comes out on DVD. Do I not buy the DVD because of the actions of the filmmaker? Of COURSE not. I would buy and watch the DVD because of its value as a FILM.

That was my point.

Oh, and as for being on topic, "Bowling for Columbine" is scheduled to open in 200 new theatres on 23 April 2003, so that may be a good reason to delay the early-April scheduled DVD, don't you think?

You can see where it's playing, or going to play, at:

http://bowlingforcolumbine.com

Look for the "Theatres" link.

-- Jough
Old 04-14-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the "new" release date was 5/13. I don't remember where I read that....
Old 04-14-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
This is a serious question: Could they include Moore's Oscar acceptance speech on the DVD as a supplement? Or would it be copyrighted by AMPAS, and unavailable for inclusion without their permission?

However one feels about the speech, it is now a part of the film's mythology.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.