Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playing GBA Games on GC System

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Playing GBA Games on GC System

I thought I read somewhere that Nintendo was making an accessory to play GBA games on the GC. Something like the accessory that was available for the SNES. Can someone verify this and when it's possibly coming out?

I don't mean playing games like Metroid Fusion with Metroid Prime with the link up. I mean just playing the GBA game on your TV.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-03, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe you are asking about this?

Try this link...
Old 04-14-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, it already has an average customer rating of 5 stars from 47 people who haven't seen it yet.

I will be getting this when it comes out.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the US Gameboy Player will only be released in Black. Does anybody have a link or remember this story?

Last edited by sdcrym; 04-14-03 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-14-03, 01:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It comes out in may and will cost $39.99 most places.

Planetgamecube did a review/impressions of the Japanese version a while back, and gave it very high marks.

I can't wait. Screw paying $90 to $100 for an SP when I can play on my TV for $40. I don't play my GBA outside the home very often anyway. But I will keep my old model simply to use the GC/GBA link.
Old 04-14-03, 01:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm with Josh. I'm picking this up instead of the SP (I already have a standard GBA).
Old 04-14-03, 01:45 PM
Retired

Here's the review I mentioned.

http://planetgamecube.com/reviews.cf...profile&id=324

Appearance: 8.5
Comfort: 8.5
Quality: 9.5
Construction: 10
Value: 10
Final: 9.0

Anyone who has played an original Game Boy Advance will tell you the system has one major problem: visibility. Nintendo has finally provided one solution, the Game Boy Advance SP, but replacing a working GBA with a new $100 model just isn’t money-smart for many. Fortunately, the GameCube’s Game Boy Player is the perfect solution.

The Game Boy Player is the spiritual successor to the Super Game Boy for the SNES, allowing GameCube consumers to play their handheld games on their televisions. A one-inch tall peripheral that attaches to the GameCube’s base via its Hi Speed Port, the GBP and GC were clearly made for each other. A strong grip holds the GBP in place, only dislodging slightly in the front when held from the GC handle, though Nintendo has gone the extra mile and included two attached screws for those wanting peace of mind. The two complement each other well, too—the uninformed bystander would probably think the GBP was an integral part of the GameCube, assuming the colors match.

The GBP is little more than a GBA motherboard with some altered I/O ports and a new casing. GBA, GBC or original GB carts slide into the front-mounted slot. This sometimes requires lifting the system slightly—a minor inconvenience, but nothing worth fussing over. Removing the game pack is as easy as sliding the eject lever found on the right side. The Player also has a standard GBA EXT port complete with GC-GBA cable latch holes on the front, offering all the multiplayer and linking capabilities of a normal Game Boy Advance.

Of course the real issue at hand isn’t how the Game Boy Player looks but how it performs. Loading the player is as simple as popping in the GameCube disc and a GBA game (if needed) and pushing power. That’s it! You can now play Castlevania: Circle of the Moon without squinting or surrendering your comfort for a light source! The game can be played on a GC Controller using the D-pad or analog stick or with a GBA, using a GC-GBA link cable. Pushing Z at any time on a GC controller brings a simple menu to the foreground while the game continues to run. In this menu players can “turn off” the Game Boy Player to swap game carts, make subtle adjustments to screen sharpness, choose screen size, toggle the button layout for GC controllers, set an alarm clock and choose among twenty borders to frame the GBA screen. The virtual GBA screen is originally to scale, providing a crisp and vibrant picture worthy of Metroid Fusion’s rich atmosphere, Golden Sun’s lush palette and Luigi’s tail pipe. However, the menu provides the option of a 2x zoom (full screen) for those willing to sacrifice a little clarity for a bigger screen. For those wondering, GB/GBC games are treated no differently than with standard GBA systems and can be (poorly) stretched to fit the entire virtual GBA screen. Those hoping for Super Game Boy borders are out of luck. On the bright side, though, high-end users will be happy to know that the Game Boy Player runs in progressive scan, ultimately providing an unsurpassed GBA display.

There are a few drawbacks to the Game Boy Player, some of which were unavoidable, but still worth keeping in mind. Firstly, those thinking of purchasing a Game Boy Player instead of one of its handheld brethren should be aware that they will not be able to take advantage of the various GC-GBA linking features unless they have access to TWO GameCube consoles. Secondly, although the Game Boy Camera and eReader work with the GBP, less conventional games such as Kirby’s Tilt ‘N Tumble will be tough to manage. There are also rumors that not all colors of the GBP will be available in the United States, meaning that those without imported or modified GameCubes may have to settle for an alternate color GBP or buy an import GBP as well as a copy of the U.S. boot disc from Nintendo’s store (assuming one will be available). Also, the extra inch the GBP adds to the system may pose a problem for those owning GC carrying cases or backpacks which may not accommodate the accessory. Since it requires a screwdriver to remove or install, the GBP clearly wasn’t designed to be taken on and off when traveling. On a more technical note, the GBP shares the same 8-bit audio output found in the handhelds, which is a minor disappointment. However, when looking at the big picture, all these complaints don’t amount to much, putting tiny dents into what is otherwise a fine product.

This peripheral does exactly what it promises and does it well. The Game Boy Player provides the best picture possible for Game Boy Advance games (even better than the GBA SP) and is perfect for current GBA owners. It’s also recommended to gamers uninterested in handheld gaming, yet enticed by the GBA library itself. Simply put, unless you're specifically looking for portability, the Game Boy Player will not disappoint.

Pros:

Bright, crisp graphics
Game Boy on your TV!
Compatible with all Game Boy games
Built-in memory saves preferences.
Low price point

Cons:

GC-GBA linking with the GBP requires two GameCubes.
Adds height to the GameCube
Color selection for the U.S. is questionable.
Games with a tilt pack, rumble pack, etc. may not play well.
No custom button mapping
Incompatible with the Panasonic Q
Old 04-14-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
what's a panasonic Q?
Old 04-14-03, 04:26 PM

EB has it listed as a June release in their new catalog. I also heard that is allows you to "network" cubes together by way of a cable ie; 2 cubes, 2 GBA players and 2 TV's connected. FPS's and Mario Kart would be really nice with none of that split screen garbage. Is this true? It would require a pretty long cable. The Q was a Japanese cube with DVD playing capabilities. It also had a small LCD display.
Old 04-14-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It comes out in may and will cost $39.99 most places.
It comes out in the states on June 23rd and will run $49.99.
Old 04-14-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
what's a panasonic Q?
I think it's a GC that can play DVDs. It was released in Japan.
Old 04-14-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jediwicz
EB has it listed as a June release in their new catalog. I also heard that is allows you to "network" cubes together by way of a cable ie; 2 cubes, 2 GBA players and 2 TV's connected. FPS's and Mario Kart would be really nice with none of that split screen garbage. Is this true? It would require a pretty long cable. The Q was a Japanese cube with DVD playing capabilities. It also had a small LCD display.
I'm pretty sure that if you connect a couple of Gamecubes this way, the only FPS's and Mario Kart you'll be able to play will be GBA games.
Old 04-14-03, 08:40 PM

Tanman,

The Panasonic Q is a GC that also plays DVD's. It's the most beautiful thing I have seen. It's grey with silver components and blue lights that light up around the controller sockets and a blue LED readout. Most of the import sites are out of stock, but if you can find it it's about 450 american but.. and the big BUG, it plays Japanese and American GC games and Region 1-6 DVD's. Granted it's modified, but almost everysite has them modified. Well worth it in my eyes.
Old 04-14-03, 10:12 PM
Retired

I was going by an older EB ad that had it listed as available in May and $39.99, so I guess it got delayed and the MSRP bumped up.

At any rate, if the MSRP is $49.99, I imagine the "loss leader" stores (i.e. Best Buy and Circuit City) will have it for $39.99 at least for the first week.
Old 04-14-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
thats right, I totally forgot about that thing. (the Q)
Old 04-15-03, 07:26 AM

Ok, after reading all this information I am little confused about multiplayer. If I get a GameBoy Player, can I play multiplayer games on my GameCube without any GBAs? I would love to play Chu Chu Rocket or MarioKart Advance on the cube with other people, using the GC controllers.
Old 04-15-03, 07:58 AM

I preordered mine from ebgames.com back in January when they listed the price as $39.99. When I look up the order in my account, it shows the $39.99 price. Hopefully they'll let me have it at that price.
Old 04-15-03, 07:58 AM

I'm pretty sure the multiplayer connectivity will be for Gamecube games. GCN Mario Kart playing on two TV's linked together=no split screen. Same goes for GCN FPS. It could just be the GBA games though. It will all come out at E3.
Old 04-15-03, 09:23 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I've got a black GC so that's not a problem... I thought I'd get this for my birthday, but it looks like the launch day has been bumped back a month... oh well. Now I'll get Wario World (GC) and a GBA/GC Player a month after my b-day...
Old 04-15-03, 11:38 AM
Retired

The GBA Player will not allow you to play GC games multiplayer on more than one TV that I'm aware of. I believe that is just for GBA games, as you can link the GBA player's together just like GBA's (assuming you have a seperate TV, GC, GBA player, and game for each player).
Old 04-15-03, 04:15 PM

Hopefully BB counts this as an accessory for GC so we can use the $5 coupons on it.