Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under - 4/13

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Six Feet Under - 4/13

Tonight's episode? Bull's eye. The thing that has been missing this season. The one thing that I just couldn't put my finger on that felt different than the first two seasons was (is) clearly Brenda. FINALLY we get an episode that she was on more than 3 minutes and it felt right . Does anyone else agree? I also thought all the other characters and storylines tonight were spot on. The gay brunch? Hilarious. Ruth and the intern getting closer. With her stalking him and serenading him? Also hilarious. Although somewhat creepy. O.K., a lot creepy. But it's entertaining. Lisa is freaking me out too. And continues to do so. Next week's preview? CUCKOO! Best episode this season tonight!!

BTW, did anyone notice the strange voiceover soundtrack with Claire and Russell in the art store? Clearly they redubbed the dialogue. But it sounded like they did it in a 4x4 wooden room. Also, tonight's episode was the darkest ever (cinematography wise). And it was the shortest episode ever (so far). Clocking in at 49 minutes. But what a great 49
Old 04-13-03, 09:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad Brenda got some more screen time in tonight's episode. I'm still waiting for Nate to completely blow his lid and leave Lisa.
Old 04-13-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually is was shorter than 49 minutes.

Take about 5-6 minutes of that 49 to show previews from past shows and the long credit sequence.

On my clock above the tv, the show actually started at 9:06 and ended at 9:49.
Old 04-13-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave sure has a big bladder.

Nate's story about Maya speed dialing his Neurologist was hysterical.
Old 04-13-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Short, short, short... but yeah, that was probably (perhaps the opener was) the best episode of the season so far.

Ruth's short "fantasy" about the intern was absolutely hilarious, but I was so hoping that it was real
Old 04-13-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree that this was probably the best episode so far this season. It was great seeing Billy back, and Brenda for more than one scene.
I figure Nate & Lisa will separate in probably 2 or 3 more episodes. (hopefully) I like Lili Taylor as an actress, but I would just like to strangle this character

That guys dog at the party was pretty scary.
Old 04-13-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Dave sure has a big bladder.

Second only to Austin Powers

And conscience, you're absolutely right about the running time correction. A small gripe of mine, and I'm being stingy, but when I wait for this show all week, it kind of ticks me off that it's less than 55 minutes. That was the average running time of each episode in the first two seasons. Without the opening and end credits of course. Just feel slightly, well, slighted. Because, folks...we only have 8 more episodes. Then we have a whole year until the NEXT season

What with Nate about to blow. And Lisa about to go Glenn Close on his ass. And Brenda's. I have a feeling it's going to be one helluva cliffhanger on the last episode.
Old 04-14-03, 12:36 AM
Registered

I also really liked the episode, but it was short. It's HBO so I'd expect an hour show to um be... an hour. Next week looks like a great one.
Old 04-14-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by conscience
The Ruth dream was frickin' hilarious.

Did you have fun stalking me today?

prob not in those exact words, but still funny as hell!

Good episode tonight.
When he told her to "go to the moon and mind your F***** moon business!!" I almost lost it!
Old 04-14-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Daytripper
And conscience, you're absolutely right about the running time correction. A small gripe of mine, and I'm being stingy, but when I wait for this show all week, it kind of ticks me off that it's less than 55 minutes. That was the average running time of each episode in the first two seasons. Without the opening and end credits of course. Just feel slightly, well, slighted. Because, folks...we only have 8 more episodes. Then we have a whole year until the NEXT season
I know! Every week my friends and I look at each other and say WTF?

Last week we had high hopes for the running time, because it went past the 9:50 mark. Time let us down this week. But that was the only thing that let us down this week.
Old 04-14-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Second best episode of the season and the first one that has me forgetting about the 'dream sequence/coma theory.'

My first thought though was damn, Brenda is in the hospital with Nate when I saw the close up with her and the flowers, I was ready to be upset then it was her dad.

Fantastic chemistry with Nate and Brenda. I liked lilly tylor better last year but now I want my Nate back. Its so sad to see her act like that so stressed and insecure in her relationship with Nate, she's sabotageing things big time.

Another odd thing I noticed was the scene at the end with her dad had unusual lighting, you don't ususally get that with the "ghost scenes." Can't wait for the next one
Old 04-14-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb
Another odd thing I noticed was the scene at the end with her dad had unusual lighting, you don't ususally get that with the "ghost scenes."
I took that underwater lighting effect and the fact that the dad's ghost was drenched from head to toe to be a reference back to the conversation with Brenda where she was saying that seeing her father dying was like watching the tide come in and slowly pull him out to sea (or something like that). Clearly now (that he's dead) he's completely "out to sea". A bit of an artsy effect to illustrate the point.
Old 04-14-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
David with the humongous bladder display was something I could have done without.

Another episode where you wonder if Keith is really stereotypically gay (the pop culture quiz game at the party).
Old 04-14-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was funny how that girl kept asking Keith questions about Gretchen Mol and Keith was like "I don't know."

I mean, who WOULD know much about her? Wasn't she most famous for being touted as the next big thing that never happened?
Old 04-14-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And yet, I would have known about Gretchen Mol.
Old 04-14-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Waterworld! Waterworld!! WATERWORLD!!
Old 04-14-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.

That would have been a great episode . . . IF IT WERE AN EPISODE OF "MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE!!!!"

Excluding the interaction between Nate and Brenda, totally the wrong tone for the show. We've officially veered off into second season "Twin Peaks" land.
Old 04-14-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with grunter here. While everyone is saying that it was the best of the season, I thought it was the worst. That bit with Ruth peeking out from behind the tree had my wife and I both doing this: Way too over the top. Hell, the Rico and Vanessa storyline was the most intriguing and it was, what, three minutes long? This show is really losing its direction, but I'm still hoping that it's heading somewhere interesting (and I still enjoy it).
Old 04-14-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
I took that underwater lighting effect and the fact that the dad's ghost was drenched from head to toe to be a reference back to the conversation with Brenda where she was saying that seeing her father dying was like watching the tide come in and slowly pull him out to sea (or something like that). Clearly now (that he's dead) he's completely "out to sea". A bit of an artsy effect to illustrate the point.
Wait, that was Brenda's father!? It was so freakin' dark and grainy, I thought is was Nate's !

Kidding, I knew it was Brenda's. But it did take me a while to see who it was. Turn up the damn lights! Just a little, please???

And thanks for clearing the water thing up Numanoid. Makes sense now
Old 04-14-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree with grunter here. While everyone is saying that it was the best of the season, I thought it was the worst. That bit with Ruth peeking out from behind the tree had my wife and I both doing this: Way too over the top. Hell, the Rico and Vanessa storyline was the most intriguing and it was, what, three minutes long? This show is really losing its direction, but I'm still hoping that it's heading somewhere interesting (and I still enjoy it).
Sure, the Ruth stalking thing was over the top and borderline slapstick. Specifically her peaking from behind the tree. But it was only, what, 10 seconds? If they keep doing this, I'll have a problem with it. As is, I think it's o.k. Ruth's a nut.
Old 04-14-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Arthur talking into the tape recorder officially made him Dale Cooper.

Classic.
Old 04-14-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Arthur is the shiznit! Him and Ruth gotta be gettin' it on soon me thinks. I really enjoyed this ep, felt alot better then the previous ones. Several story lines going at once, which all helped contribute to the larger picture. Good ep.

9/10.
Old 04-14-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Ruth scene was great. And if you watch the previews for next week:

Spoiler:
their relationship looks to spark up.

Ruth is my favorite character on the show. Frances Conroy is great.
Old 04-15-03, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HotThang
When he told her to "go to the moon and mind your F***** moon business!!" I almost lost it!
Old 04-15-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gkleinman
I also really liked the episode, but it was short. It's HBO so I'd expect an hour show to um be... an hour. Next week looks like a great one.
There hasn't been one episode this season that has gone over 50 minutes.

This episode was really the best since the season opener. I still am in the group that says this is all an elongated dream sequence and Nate is still on the table or in a coma.

Yeah...it has gone pretty far this year, but there are still things that seem very "off" from what was built in the first two years. Anyone remember Dallas?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.