Community
Search

austin powers 2 commentary - not there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
austin powers 2 commentary - not there?

Hi,

I just tried to watch austin powers 2 with the commentary, but there is no commentary. I chose the commentary feature from the special features menu and it just played the movie like normal.

Is this supposed to be like this? The back of the cover also says there is a commentary, so this is weird. Is there a secret way of finding this?

Thanks
Old 04-13-03, 12:29 AM

If the way you try it didn't work, you could try hitting the audio button on your DVD remote. 9 out of 10 times that will cycle through the audio options. Hope that helps
Old 04-13-03, 01:27 AM

I just had a look at the file structure of the dvd and it only has 2 language tracks on it, english and french. Do other people have a commentary on their disc?

This is the Canadian version, could they have taken away the commentary and replaced it with the french track? If so, they shoould have changed the menu and cover art a bit, because this is false advertising.
Old 04-13-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this brought up in the past. What you're saying about the French track rings a bell. Try a search here or maybe alt.video.dvd.
Old 04-13-03, 04:04 PM

I have heard about this... They forgot to put the commentary track on the Canadian version. Oops.
Old 04-13-03, 05:25 PM

i checked the canadian version.

my friend's copy doesn't even have a french dub. i think only Goldmember had it out of the entire trilogy that was released in canada.
Old 04-13-03, 06:14 PM

I bought the 3 pack really cheap. The 1st and 3rd movie have the commentary, it is just the 2nd one theat doesn't. All three are distributed by Alliance Atantis, which I believe are the Canadian distributor of New Line.

I sent an email off to Alliance Atlantis asking them how to access the commentary. I told them that the cover and menu says their is one, so I wonder if they will admit their mistake.
Old 04-14-03, 01:22 AM

I also bought the three-pack really cheap down in Atlanta, GA. Mine is a USA version. I cannot find the words "Alliance Atlantis" (Canadian distributor) on the cover. Disc #2 ("The Spy Who Shagged Me") has the commentary on the third audio track.

Audio track 1: English (5.1 ch AC-3)
Audio track 2: English (2 ch. AC-3)
Audio track 3: English (2 ch. AC-3 w/commentary)

Other stats:

UPC on cover: 794043-489129
Catalog # on the spine: N4891 (New Line Home Entertainment)

Commentary notes: The commentary is extremely bland with little additional information being shared. I expected a lively and entertaining conversation in a room filled with Mike Myers, Director Jay Roach and co-writer Michael McCullers but instead, these folks actually have very little to say. BORING! They realize this as well as the commentary ends suddenly at 01:25:20 with almost 10 minutes of film time remaining. They just stop!

I like the commentaries where the film makers are SO excited to be there that they talk well into the credits sharing insights and memories. These are the ones that want to utilize every second available to tell you everything under the sun. The best commentaries are PACKED full of details all the way to the DVD credits.

This is NOT one of the good commentaries!
Old 04-14-03, 01:30 AM

curious? versions with no commentary, are they snappers or regular case?
Old 04-14-03, 01:51 AM

It is a regular case. It came as a 3 pack for about $53 Canadian.

The commentaries for the 1st and 3rd were very very boring, so I guess I'm not missing much with this one.
Old 04-14-03, 11:06 AM

I had this the same problem with my Canadian copy of "The Spy Who Shagged Me". In fact I started a similar post to this one a few months ago. Thanks to all of the helpful replies I recieved, I was able to contact Alliance Atlantis Home Video and they sent me a corrected copy. Try to email them.
Old 04-14-03, 01:34 PM

Update

I emailed alliance atlantis. they replied asking me to send in the dvd and they will send me a new one with the commentary on it. I'm guessing the one I bought must be some old stock or something and they reprinted the disc later with the commentary on it.

thanks for all the replies.