Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Beijing Bicycle

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious about Beijing Bicycle. Is it a good blind buy? How's the DVD?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the movie a lot, but it's not for everyone. I'd recommend a rental before you decide on whether to buy it or not. But which DVD?:

STARMAX (Region 0, Korean)

SEVILLE (Region 1, Canadian)

SONY PICTURES (Region 1, US)

I'd go with the Korean edition if you can get it, otherwise you should probably order the Canadian edition.
Here's a further comparison of the three DVD versions - http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare...gbicycle-3.htm
Old 04-12-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking of this one:

But I didn't know it was non-anamorphic. If I get it, I guess the Canadian version is the way to go.
Old 04-13-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Columbia version is ANAMORPHIC....as it is the case with most of their "CLASSICS" line....

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...653&format=DVD
Old 04-13-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. Yeah, I just found that out. The comparison at the above link lists the others as anamorphic. but not the Columbia one. Looks like they forgot to list it. I think I'll go ahead and pick it up. My Hollywood video has a previously viewed copy for 10 bucks
Old 04-15-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
The Columbia version is ANAMORPHIC....as it is the case with most of their "CLASSICS" line....[/url]
pro-bassoonist, can you confirm that? (Or anyone else with a copy of the Columbia release)

I reviewed the Seville release, which IS anamorphic, and I did some extensive web research into the other editions which strongly supported the contention that the Columbia release is NOT anamorphic.

My review is here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4936

with the relevant part being:

"It is worth noting that the DVD edition reviewed here, distributed by Seville Pictures, is not the same transfer as an earlier, non-anamorphic release through Columbia Tristar. The Seville release can be identified by the fact that the cover features the image of Jian riding the bicycle, in his white shirt and red tie, rather than a montage of images from the film including both characters."

I'd be interested to hear from any owners of the Columbia release.
Old 04-17-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ordway...I have emailed DVDPLANET and they have confirmed that the disc is indeed anamorphic. Furthermore....the "classiscs" line which I mentioned above is usually anamorphic....at least this has been the case with 100% of the titles I own. You could also look at the stats on the back of the release which clearly indicates that the disc is 16/9.
Old 04-17-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, I picked the disc up, and it does state that it is anamorphic on the case. I haven't watched it yet though.
Old 04-17-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
ordway...I have emailed DVDPLANET and they have confirmed that the disc is indeed anamorphic. Furthermore....the "classiscs" line which I mentioned above is usually anamorphic....at least this has been the case with 100% of the titles I own. You could also look at the stats on the back of the release which clearly indicates that the disc is 16/9.
If there's one thing I've learned as a reviewer, it's to NEVER trust what the case says. And no offense to DVDPlanet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just reading off the back of the case too.

I've seen non-anamorphic DVDs whose cases say they're anamorphic; anamorphic DVDs whose cases say they're NOT anamorphic; and one memorable documentary set whose case said it was anamorphic, but whose episodes were a mix of anamorphic and non-anamorphic.

It happens often enough that I never rely on the case for anything. Heck, not just for whether or not it's anamorphic; sometimes the soundtracks are different from what's described, or the subtitles; on several occasions I've found DVDs that were supposed to have audio commentary tracks, according to the case, but didn't.
Old 04-17-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think that DVDPLANET is actually one of the few etailers that tend to get their specs right...unlike dvdempire for example.
Furthermore, a perfect example is SLC PUNK which is also a Columbia Classics title and does not indicate on the back that the disc is 16/9 yet DVDPLANET has indicated that it is anamorphic...as it is the case with a number of other older Columbia titles. Anyway, I see your point though.

greatjedi....it's up to you now.....16/9 or not?

You have the disc...let us know!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-17-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-18-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checked it out. It is indeed anamophic!
Old 04-18-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by greatjedi
Just checked it out. It is indeed anamophic!
Thanks for the update!

I went back to my main source (DVD Beaver) and found that the non-anamorphic release was in fact the Sony edition, which is what I was thinking of. What an assortment of releases this film has had!