Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Final Destination 2 --> July 22!

Old 04-11-03, 11:18 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

"Final Destination 2" will get the Infinifilm treatment on July 22nd!

Specs include:

-Three Documentaries:
"The Terror Guage"
"Cheating Death"
"Bits And Pieces"

-Deleted/Alternate Scenes

-DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound and DD EX 5.1 Surround Sound

-Filmmaker Commentary

-Exclusive Infinifilm fact track content with screen tests, behind the scenes footage, etc.

-DVD-ROM: Script-To-Screen, Wallpapers, Exclusive Online Content
Old 04-11-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definately going to pick this one up...missed it in theatres and have been wanting to see it badly
Old 04-11-03, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was gonna suck hard when I went to see it in theatres, but ended up REALLY ENJOYING it. Not for the acting or the story... but for the death scenes, baby!
Old 04-12-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is infinifilm™?
Infinifilm™ is a groundbreaking DVD brand designed for the moviegoer who wants the ultimate entertainment experience. Explore. Escape. Interact. Take your movie-watching experience to a whole new level and discover the fascinating facts and intriguing stories surrounding your favorite films!
That's from the official Infinifilm website. Wasn't the point of Infinfilm to have bonus content dealing with the actual "true" content within the film, take in point for example the first three Infinifilm DVDs:

Thirteen Days - The extras went behind the actual Cuban missle crisis.
15 Minutes - The extras went behind the news media.
Blow - The extras went behind the actual Jung story.

Then Rush Hour 2 came along and was an Infinifilm. No extras about true stories involving an Asian cop teamed up with African American cop.

Then you have John Q, going back to the true Infinifilm roots with extras involving hospitals and health insurance, blah blah blah. Nobody really counts that as John Q sucked. Anyway, going back on topic.

Then Goldmember came along with no extras involving other '60s international men of mystery who were able to go back into time.

Then Friday After Next with no extras involving....

Anyway, now Final Destination 2 comes along. Will there be extras with real people who had visions of car crashes or men with hooks?

I'd prefer a New Line Platinum Series release of Final Destination 2 (to have continuity with the first released), but I'll pick it up no matter what.
Old 04-12-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Then Goldmember came along with no extras involving other '60s international men of mystery who were able to go back into time.

I'll definitely be picking up Final Destination 2. Thanks for posting the specs!

Rob
Old 04-12-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bout time this got announced! I cant wait to see it again. Great film. The highway accident scene is worth the price of admission!
Old 04-12-03, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as another that thought it would suck and actually enjoyed it. Looks like it should be a pretty good disc.
Old 04-12-03, 10:20 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
thanks for the heads-up!
Old 04-12-03, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks. Definitely gonna pick this one up.
Old 04-12-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Missed this one in the theaters but am looking forward to buying the disc. Thanks for the specs, Mao.
Old 04-12-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, another "suck but was awesome" crowd Can't wait to pick this one up.......
Old 04-12-03, 01:48 PM

This is awesome! Great film!
Old 04-12-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent news! Thanks.
Old 04-12-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what would be great?

If NL would release a unrated version of the original with all the gore the director cut out to be 'respectable'. In other words "I want to be taken seriously as a director & not labeled a gory trash filmmaker!". This insecurity is what made plenty of should've been gruesome horror films suffer today including Jason X & Resident Evil.

Anyway while the original was pretty good. It did suffer from taking itself way to seriously that alot of the fun was pretty dormant. If they included much of the gore cut out(to leave it all up to the imagination basically as the director claims). It would make a serious film all the more fun. Since while it's taking itself to seriously. It would also deliver the shocks with the gruesome gore.

Basically stuff like the airplane sequence was much more graphic with severed limbs & blood flying all over. Again cut by the director for being 'to' graphic.

Also the bus sequence had the aftermath & much of the actual gore missing.

I would love to see this though.

Anyway i caught the sequel a few weeks back in a 2nd run theater. Had a blast. Thankfully it did not take itself to seriously. Was obviouslly intended as a dark comedy..& also made up for much of the originals lack of real gore by not copping out as much. The result a very fun film that the audience loved & had a blast with.
Old 04-13-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the cover art, courtesy of DVDFile:

Old 04-13-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If NL would release a unrated version of the original with all the gore the director cut out to be 'respectable'.
::sigh::

James Wong edited out some gore out of the first FD not because he didn't want to be "sensitive," it's because the MPAA would've slapped the film with an NC-17. Did you not listen to the audio commentaries or watch the extras on the first film's DVD? Out of all that is mentioned on the DVD, the only scenes edited in the final product were:

- The strangulation in the bathtub.
- The girl getting hit by the bus (in which the film had to be sped-up right when she was hit).
- The stabbing of the teacher.

Everything else with violence and gore was kept in tact.

I really didn't like the first film. The film's first half was pretty damn well done (especially the scenes leading up to the explosion and the actual explosion itself), but the second half was god awful as it slowly turned into an awful teen slasher film while turning too "X-Files-ey" with the two FBI agents (and yes, I know that Wong and Morgan were apart of The X-Files ).

And I think Wong (along with his partner Glen Morgan) kind've ruined the "I want to be taken seriously as a director" when they made The One... but that's just me...

But the second film is much better just for the fact that it never took itself too seriously (unlike the first film which took itself too seriously). The film was a fun ride with some of the best death scenes to ever be shown in a mainstream Hollywood horror film. The people I went to see it with opening night had a blast with it, even if they never saw the first film or disliked the first film (like myself).

I hope that New Line goes ahead and produces a Final Destination 3 and that David R. Ellis, J. Mackye Gruber, and Eric Bress come back to direct and write it (and hopefully, they'll make it more of a "dark comedy," especially after that ending).

I also look forward to The Butterfly Effect which is written and directed by Gruber and Bress.
Old 04-13-03, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
::sigh::

James Wong edited out some gore out of the first FD not because he didn't want to be "sensitive," it's because the MPAA would've slapped the film with an NC-17. Did you not listen to the audio commentaries or watch the extras on the first film's DVD? Out of all that is mentioned on the DVD, the only scenes edited in the final product were:

- The strangulation in the bathtub.
- The girl getting hit by the bus (in which the film had to be sped-up right when she was hit).
- The stabbing of the teacher.

Everything else with violence and gore was kept in tact.

Actually from what i recall before release . He said the print they showed to the MPAA had only a few seconds cut out to avoid a NC-17 & that it was'nt much,so there would be no unrated release.

Yet reading the coverage in Fangoria. They talked about some of the gore including the airplane sequence & how it was much gorier than what was left in the film.

Meanwhile on the commentary they mentions the teacher sequence originally was planned to be much more graphic. Yet NL told them to tone it down abit before filming..& the result was slightly less bloody,though still had to be cut by a few seconds to avoid a NC-17.

The bus sequence was filmed from various angles trying to find which would get the best impact. The one in the film is how they felt worked the best. I agree for the most part...yet the aftermath shot was cut out which made the scene seem tame & alittle confusing. A photo of the aftermath appeared in a Fango issue. Yet nowhere on the commentary did they mention it being cut because of the MPAA.

In fact again before release. They mentioned that only the strangulation & teacher sequences were cut because of the MPAA.

Meanwhile everything else was toned down since they felt they were going alittle 'to far' + it would without a doubt get a NC-17.

+ I listened to the commentary on Jason Goes To Hell finally. A very amusing commentary btw. Anyway they mention how NL saw how much violence was in the script & planned from the outset for a unrated home video release knowing the film would without a doubt get a NC-17 in uncut form which it did.

So i find it weird that NL didn't think of the possibility of releasing a unrated version of FD. They could include the R version as well since some people may prefer that over the really gory version. Yet still it would have been interesting to see the uncut footage at least as a extra if some of it was cut not because of the MPAA,but for other reasons mainly pre-MPAA submission trying to get a R on the first try if possible.

I also agree that everything until after the plane sequence was excellent. It was intense,atmospheric & really grabbed ahold of you. Then the rest of the film was pretty bland & boring since it suffered from taking itself to seriously & turning itself into a soap opera rather than generating any suspense or thrills/scares. Also i found the girl who played Clear distracting in how her eyes are rapidly blinking & going all over the place durring the whole film. Also i loved the 'tacked' on ending. It had me rolling with laughter it was so awsome. Again i think they were right to include this since the original ending was again boring & suffered from being overly dramatic & soap operaish. Meanwhile the 'tacked' on ending ends the film on a high note. To bad the whole film could'nt have done the same!

+ The only reason i have the first on dvd is because i won it in a contest online as a 2nd place prize(was trying to to win The Beyond LE SE). Otherwise i would have not bothered getting the film on dvd at all.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 04-13-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-13-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So i find it weird that NL didn't think of the possibility of releasing a unrated version of FD.
Why release an unrated version when an "unrated" release would probably only be a few seconds longer? Now we all see the need to release an "unrated" release of a Jason movie (as all the films with the exception of the last one have been butchered to pieces due to the R rating), but would more violence make FD better? Sure it'd be interesting to see, but isn't the explosion scene just effective as it is?

Remember, gore does not equal better.

Did Fangoria include any pictures of the explosion scene being more violent? They might've scrapped the extra gore footage right after making a rough cut of the film.

Luckilly, Final Destination 2 had most (if not all) of it's gore kept in tact for the R rating.
Old 04-13-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THis was alot better than I thought it would be, it was really good. I really liked all the gore they kept in, it made the movie alot better
Old 04-13-03, 05:05 PM

Mathew...only a few seconds were cut from the print they submitted to the MPAA after cutting stuff they thought would give it a NC-17 in the first place. Yet the print they submitted still got a NC-17,thus only a few minor seconds were cut from that.

Yet it would be interesting to see all the gore originally intended to be in the film before toneing it down abit for fear of ratings issues.

No gore does not always equal better. Yet it would make the film at least abit more entertaining since it takes itself way to seriously. The extra gore would take you by surprise & cause you to react with "holy ****!" & so on. Which in turn would up the fun factor of the film. Yet the otherwise serious tone of the film would still be intact.

Basically it's the kind of film where more gore does help since it was intended to be pretty gruesome.

Now had part 2 been made gorless & took itself to seriously. The film would be extremely unbearable. Yet thankfully they decided to have fun with the material & knew they were not making high art. So the gore did help part 2.

As for the Fangoria issues. The one i have does not have any photos of teh plane crash sequence. Yet does discuss all the FX work & mentions worries about the MPAA since the film is definately NC-17 material

Their is a workprint out there somewhere which includes the extra gore & more deleted scenes. If i can find a copy i will check it out & see if their's much of a difference gorewise.

Anyway the bus sequence was cut down mostly since the body looked fake if you got a good glimpse of it. Yet a pretty gruesome & realisitc aftermath photo did show up in Fango with her body splattered on the sidewalk. Even if they only showed the shot for a brief few seconds. It would have still been very effective rather than seeming fake if they showed the shot for far to long.

Even Scary Movie which was not that good humorwise since it was to forced. It was much more disgusting & outrageous that what made it into the R version. Plenty of material was cut out to avoid a NC-17 & a few photos showed up in Fango which were nowhere in site in the final print. Mostly it was just rude crude vulgar language which made people think it was to much for a R rating. Yet there was plenty of explicit grossout gags cut from the film since it would get a NC-17. Of course being a Dimension/Miramax release. We'll never see the uncensored version because of that dumb policy they have.

Maybe a workprint is out there though? If so i would like to see it for curiosity alone. Since it's interesting finding out just what has to be cut for ratings reasons sometimes.

Now as for Jason X. A unrated version would be pointless since only a minimal 5 seconds of not so gory footage was cut down. Yet much of it's left onscreen with only a few frames missing. Hence not much of a difference in impact to the scenes. Yet the other F13th films would benifit greatly from unrated releases since they were heavily censored to get R ratings. Many of the cuts did hurt the impact of various sequences since of course,they were made to be gory,not 'artfully left to the imagination'.