Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/Opinions on "Six Feet Under" this season (thus far)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Being 1/3 of the way into Season 3 of "Six Feet Under", I just wanted to hear what everyone's overall thoughts were so far. For me, I love this show (unconditionally). I think it's one of the most original shows I've seen in quite some time. And one that feels like an eternity between seasons. But if I had to rate or compare it to the first two seasons, I'd have to say it's my least favorite. I'm not sure if it's because Brenda has only been on for literally a few minutes the last two weeks. And there have been some fantastic characters added this year. But there just seems to be something missing. Does anyone else feel this way? It's still my favorite show on TV at the moment. And I'm front and center every Sunday night. But it just hasn't felt as great as the first two seasons to me. I'm hoping things really pick up. I'd like to see them ditch Claire's art teacher and her "questionable" new boyfriend. I don't like either of those characters at all. And they are spending WAYYY too much time on both IMO. In addition to some much needed Brenda, I also want to see more of her mom again. Billy I could live without though. And oh yeah, one last thing (for the last time, promise), I really hate the new film they're using this season. Too dark and grainy.

And everyone else....your thoughts?
Old 04-11-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
I thought the season opener was the best hour on TV this year, I was completely stunned to see Nathan Fisher name in white, since then I've looked forward to each episode but have been a bit disapointed in the season, I still feel like Nathans 'death' was never resolved and I have a nagging sensation that I'm watching an extended dream sequence, like they want it to go beyond where anyone thinks it could to shock us again in episode 13 when he comes out of the comma or something.

Better than 99% of the shows out there but not as good as the other seasons.
Old 04-11-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, I'm really dissapointed. Things just seem to be meandering with no real point. I think the events that would have occured between the end of last season leading up to how things are now would have been much more interesting.

There's no real "action" going on. Just a lot of unhappy people moping around. I miss the Nate/Brenda fireworks of last season. Nate/Lisa just seems like filler.
Old 04-11-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jpcamb
I thought the season opener was the best hour on TV this year, I was completely stunned to see Nathan Fisher name in white, since then I've looked forward to each episode but have been a bit disapointed in the season, I still feel like Nathans 'death' was never resolved and I have a nagging sensation that I'm watching an extended dream sequence, like they want it to go beyond where anyone thinks it could to shock us again in episode 13 when he comes out of the comma or something.

Better than 99% of the shows out there but not as good as the other seasons.
Same feeling as you...I still think this is an extended dream sequence. The problem is with my train of thinking...if it doesn't turn out to be Nate still on the table I will be HIGHLY disappointed. Things just seem a bit too "off" this year for me. Things are too "happy" around the house.

I'm starting to think Brenda showing up might be Nate's need to come back to reality in his dream. That would explain her non-existance so far this year.

I also think this year has been the weakest so far, but that is because it seems so much different than the other 2 and I am still bothered how passed over Nate's surgery is. You don't have a powerful cliffhanger last year and then put that on the back burner.

The show is still very good, but I feel I may be setting myself up for a major disappointment.
Old 04-11-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although not "up" there with the other seasons, I'm still enjoying it. I just hope the Nate situation isn't strung out the rest of the season.

Besides, this guy cracks me up and makes the viewing fun:

Old 04-11-03, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without good times, you can't have bad times.

What this season is doing for me is giving a reference point. Next time Nate goes through something traumatic (divorce/death/etc.), you'll look back at things from this season, and it'll make his bad situation feel worse.

Besides, I think there's a lot of interesting little dramatic points right now, the type of things that 6FU does better than anything else on television. The development of Keith and David is great, and I'm really looking forward to more Freddy this week (the preview has him talking with his wife).

RS
Old 04-11-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm loving it like I loved the last two. I never liked Brenda and am glad she's not in it much.

My favorite characters have to be Nate and David.

I'm not into Clare or Nate's girlfriend.

I loved it when Nate beat the crap out of the snake and then went off.
Old 04-11-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This season has had it's highlights, but I think we'll find out that things aren't as they seem. I seem to remember reading that the season doesn't really start where we think it does. I keep waiting...

This season is certainly not as good as the first two, but I'll keep watching.
Old 04-11-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
Originally posted by steelcurtain
This season has had it's highlights, but I think we'll find out that things aren't as they seem. I seem to remember reading that the season doesn't really start where we think it does. I keep waiting...

This season is certainly not as good as the first two, but I'll keep watching.
That was a quote from the HBO Buzz by Brenda after the season premier. That thought is lodged in my head as well, that and the dad's statement that you always end up in a world where you exist in the first episode. I'm gona be upset if this is one long arse dream sequence and I think that may be the case.

I do love Arthur and Betina but agree Nate is too repressed or something (although he did liven things up last episode with the snake and outdoor agressive sex with Lisa....)

We'll see...
Old 04-11-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've only seen the first three so far, not the last two.

But I think things are exactly as they seem.
Old 04-11-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
This season's not bad at all - the only real difference is that other seasons' episodes made you hungry for the next one in an almost cliffhanger sort of way (what's Kroener up to? what's going to happen w/ Brenda/Nate etc.) - there was a real urgency to the situations.

This season's flow is very VERY different and each episode has been much more self-contained than those before - there is more closure to each episode of season 3 than there were to the others. It's still as good, I think, it's just missing the "excitement" of previous seasons, which I never found too interesting anyways.
Old 04-11-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AgtFox
Same feeling as you...I still think this is an extended dream sequence. The problem is with my train of thinking...if it doesn't turn out to be Nate still on the table I will be HIGHLY disappointed. Things just seem a bit too "off" this year for me. Things are too "happy" around the house.
I doubt we'll ultimately be disappointed. I think that
Spoiler:
Nate is OUT of the operation but in a coma. All we're seeing is what he is compiling in his head from what people who visit him are saying (you know how they tell you to talk to people in comas?). I mean so much is OFF! Claire's relationship are odd. David and Keith are odd. AND so little Brenda.

I think once Brenda returns it'll all get back on track. At least get rid of Lisa!
Old 04-11-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like that Rico seems more of an ass this season. I liked him better the previous two seasons. He just seems pissed off all the time and mean.

Lili Taylor is one of my favorite actresses and I couldn't wait for this season to start just to see her. Her talents have been wasted playing Lisa.

If this turns out to be a coma induced dream, 6FTU will have jumped the shark.
Old 04-12-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't buy the coma bit or the extended dream sequence or anything one bit. I feel that the comment of the season not starting where we thought it did was just referring to the first 15 or 20 minutes of the first episode, where we thought that Nate had died.

Personally, I was a little bit disappointed that SFU didn't go through with that plot. I mean, talk about an absolutely shocking way to begin the season!! Although I'm really glad that they didn't because Nate's too good of a character to lose.

I'm also of the camp though that this season hasn't been near as good as the last two, though I still watch this (and 24, Letterman, and South Park) much more religiously than any other shows on TV.
Old 04-12-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm quite enjoying the season so far, it's less 'dramatic' than S2 was but it really captures Nate's personality and the conflicts he's going through well. I feel like I'm watching a real PERSON rather than some writers' construct going through the motions, and that takes talent. It doesn't all have to be huge moments -- this show does the "little moments" better than any other on TV IMHO.

I have to admit, I'm in the camp that thinks those who still believe this season is some wacked-out dream sequence are on crack. Of course, watch for me to be proven wrong with the final ep June 1.
Old 04-13-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Although not "up" there with the other seasons, I'm still enjoying it. I just hope the Nate situation isn't strung out the rest of the season.

Besides, this guy cracks me up and makes the viewing fun:

Hard to believe the character he plays in House of 1000 Corpses is normal.

I've really enjoyed this season so far. My only gripes would have to be so little of Brenda and Billy.
Definitely think something is off though. I believe there will be some kind of "earth shattering" event happen in the second ~third~ of the season. (hopefully)