Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rupert Murdoch buys DirecTV

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rupert Murdoch buys DirecTV

I guess this could go in "Other", but feel it affects TV viewers more.

Wednesday, April 09, 2003

NEW YORK — News Corp. Ltd. (NWS) Chairman Rupert Murdoch on Wednesday announced his company had become the majority owner of Hughes Electronics Corp. and its DirecTV service, the nation's largest satellite television provider.

The proposed deal would give News Corp. access to DirectTV's more than 11 million subscribers and end a three-year effort by Murdoch to gain a U.S. outlet for his satellite services.

"News Corporation, General Motors (GM) and Hughes Electronics (GMH) reached a definitive agreement in which News Corp. would acquire GM's 19.9% stake in Hughes and a further 14.1% of Hughes from public shareholders and GM's pension and other benefit plans," News Corp. said in a statement.

News Corp. is the parent company of the Fox News Channel, which operates FOXNews.com.

News Corp. will acquire 34 percent of DirecTV parent Hughes Electronics, a subsidiary of GM, by purchasing 19.9 percent of Hughes shares owned by GM. News Corp. also will offer to buy 14.1 percent of Hughes shares owned by the public. News Corp. will pay about $14 per share, making the deal worth about $6.6 billion.

Murdoch, whose News Corp. owns the Fox Network, the Los Angeles Dodgers and other media entities, said the deal will increase competition in the cable markets and provide better services to U.S. viewers.

"With Fox taking a significant interest in Hughes, we are forging what we believe will be the premier diversified entertainment company in America today, with leading assets in film, television broadcasting and production, cable programming, and now pay-TV distribution," Murdoch said.

The deal is subject to regulatory approval.

News of the deal came one day after telecommunications provider SBC Communications (SBC ) broke off talks with DirecTV parent Hughes Electronics Corp.

That left News Corp., which already has interests in Fox film and TV properties in the United States, British Sky Broadcasting in Britain and various Sky-branded and TV operations in Asia and Europe, the apparent lone bidder for DirecTV.

Hughes is a wholly owned subsidiary of automaker General Motors, but trades as a tracking stock that is 20 percent controlled by GM.

DirecTV was put back on the sales block earlier this year when rival satellite TV service EchoStar Communications Corp. (DISH) ended a more-than-year-long effort to acquire the company after running into U.S. regulatory problems.

DirecTV, with just over 11.2 million subscribers at the end of 2002, has been one of Hughes' primary growth engines. In the fourth quarter of 2002, DirecTV saw its revenues climb over 19 percent from the previous year to $1.8 billion.

Quarterly earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, EBITDA, more than tripled to $191 million. EBITDA is a common financial measure for media companies.
Link

I'm not sure how this will affect DirecTV viewers directly, but hope he leaves the operations up to the experts instead of putting his mark on it.
Old 04-10-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sit near this guy at lunch at least a couple of times a week.

It's weird to look at him - old grandfatherly looking dude - and think, "This guy could buy and sell most of the planet. He could have people killed. He could have me killed."

He always has Evian and fresh veggies waiting at his table. He always gives me the "guy nod" and says, hi ya doing.

Me and Roopy... just hangin'

Last edited by BoatDrinks; 04-10-03 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-10-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok so what does this mean for DTV and their HD content.

1) will they cary FOX in DH
2) Movies?
3) What about ESPN etc?

If anyone has any info please speak up
Old 04-10-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man that is a huge deal. That is just a mind-boggling amount of money.
Old 04-10-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope Rupert Murdoch doesn't screw it up like he screwed up the Dodgers...
Old 04-10-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Bye Bye CNN!
Old 04-10-03, 01:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I have DishNetwork, for which I am even more thankful now...
Old 04-10-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeeeeeeeesh.

This can't be good.
Old 04-10-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
Yeeeeeeeesh.

This can't be good.
Pessimist

It may be a very good thing. GM only started Directv so they could sell it someday, and now someday has finally arrived.

Directv is a TV delivery system. Now instead of being run by a car company they will be run by a media-savvy multibillionaire with successful TV operations all over the world. Add in the fact he has a score to settle with Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergan and we have the makings of an all-out price/service war to win the hearts and minds of America's millions of cable and satellite subscribers.

It's a good time to have or get Directv IMHO
Old 04-10-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
I sit near this guy at lunch at least a couple of times a week.

It's weird to look at him - old grandfatherly looking dude - and think, "This guy could buy and sell most of the planet. He could have people killed. He could have me killed."

He always has Evian and fresh veggies waiting at his table. He always gives me the "guy nod" and says, hi ya doing.

Me and Roopy... just hangin'
Really? Where at?
Old 04-10-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by NC-36
Pessimist

It may be a very good thing. GM only started Directv so they could sell it someday, and now someday has finally arrived.

Directv is a TV delivery system. Now instead of being run by a car company they will be run by a media-savvy multibillionaire with successful TV operations all over the world. Add in the fact he has a score to settle with Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergan and we have the makings of an all-out price/service war to win the hearts and minds of America's millions of cable and satellite subscribers.

I hope you are right, because I have been looking at satellite for a while now.
Old 04-10-03, 10:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by NC-36
Pessimist

Unfortunately Fox has a horrible track record on HD content, they best they've come up with is a crappy 480p faux-HD (well it's not even faux-HD it's just non-HD).

This is bad news indeed.
Old 04-10-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What've ever happen to the DISH and DirectTV merger? Did the SEC disapprove it?
Old 04-11-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
The government didn't approve it. I think they were concerned over the "monopoly" it would create.

Not like Cable didn't have that for years and years
Old 04-11-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
They didn't approve it and then about 1 or 2 weeks later they approved the AT&T Broadband/Comcast merger. Someone wish to explain to me how those 2 merging is not a monopoly...OTHER than the fact that Time Warner is still in the cable business, making a viable 2nd option? DTV and Dish combining would virtually eliminate competition in the satellite department. However I believe AT&T/Comcast together have more subscribers than DTV and Dish together...I could be wrong though.
Old 04-11-03, 09:40 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
It seems like he got a good deal as when he tried to outbid dish it was 20 something billion I think...

I am all for it, as I like english programming, and would love to see more coverage from Sky Sports broadcast on Fox Sports over ehre
Old 04-11-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Doesn't cable still have a monopoly?

Granted, most people can get cable... but if you don't have a south facing apartment or a clear view of the sky, then you're out of luck.

There are a couple of places with more than one cable company, but the majority of areas have just one. Which is why the greater Los Angeles area still has (bankrupt) Adelphia servicing it.
Old 04-11-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Unfortunately Fox has a horrible track record on HD content, they best they've come up with is a crappy 480p faux-HD (well it's not even faux-HD it's just non-HD).

This is bad news indeed.
As I understand it, Murdoch has nothing against HD. What he doesn't like is the fact that upgrading local OTA TV stations to HD is expensive up-front and has no financial return for the investment. Losing money = bad.

Satellite TV is entirely different, and if a $ can be made in the HD business, Murdoch won't hestitate to add all the HD channels he can make money on.