Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Why are the prices of S1 sets of Friends and All In The Family still so high?!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently went to borders, and saw the Friends season 3 set on sale for $36.99 ( yes i know i can find them cheaper elsewhere) However I also saw Friends season 1 set selling for $58.99!!!

What i don't quite understand is, if they are lowering the prices of Friends season 3 sets and All In The Family season 2 i believe. Why are they not lowing season 1 sets( same for AITF S1, saw that for $37.99 at BB! and that with only 12 episodes!!)

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I feel real bad for newbies trying to kickstart these collections. Any thoughts?
Old 04-09-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Problem #1 - You only go to Borders for hard-to-find DVDs

Problem #2 - I think newbies should share the pain we've had to bear.

Actually, I thought the prices for Friends S1 & S2 were going to be coming down soon. Keep an eye out in the Bargains Forum.

Last edited by TomOpus; 04-09-03 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-09-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chances are that they've already marked it down at the register, just not on the shelf.

Case in point, at Circuit City where I work, our Friends Season 1 set is still sitting on the shelf priced at (I think) $59.99, yet, when you check it out, it comes up at (I think) $29.99.

I went ahead and printed out a new low price tag to put on it, however, I'd bet that 999/1000 Circuit City stores have not done that. When we sell that copy and get a new copy in, it'll have the lower price on it since the MSRP dropped. That's just how it works there. It's likely similar at Borders.

Then again, I just checked the price at DDD, and it's still $52.49, so maybe it's just a mistake in our system
Old 04-09-03, 11:10 PM

not only that, but the first season of all in the family is only half the size of season two... but still twice the price
Old 04-10-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Borders? NEVER go there for DVD's
Old 04-10-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edytwinky
Tell that to the people who bought The Decalogue for $27.99, Red Desert for $13.99, Playtime/M Hulot's Holiday/Mon Oncle CC, or countless other OOP discs. How about the 3 for $20 MGM title sale? Or the numerous 10% - 20% coupons Borders puts out?

Sure, I wouldn't buy Harry Potter there, but if you're looking for OOP discs or indie/foreign films, you could do a lot worse than Borders.

Edited to add:

Just after posting this, I head over to the DVD Bargains forum and what do I see?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=283730

Last edited by ehonauer; 04-10-03 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-10-03, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JonTurner
I went ahead and printed out a new low price tag to put on it, however, I'd bet that 999/1000 Circuit City stores have not done that. When we sell that copy and get a new copy in, it'll have the lower price on it since the MSRP dropped. That's just how it works there. It's likely similar at Borders.
I work at Borders PT and I have printed new stickers for our copies ($39.99). Like he says above though, there are probably plenty of stores out there that do not have employees as well informed about the price changes.
Old 04-10-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by edytwinky
for what reason..price? I shop at Borders at least twice a week...if not more. they have superb service, and really treat repeat customers with respect. funny, I've never recieved good service from anyone that I've bought dvds from, except them. and respect is something I dont mind paying for. true, I dont buy new releases from there unless I cant find it elsewhere. but my "catalog" buys always out-number my "new' buys each week....sometimes 6 to 1. this and of course is there really any other retail store that lets you order as many dvds as youd like from thier on-line database, without having to pay anything up front? then they hold all the dvds for you for 30 days, and for me...it's all a big plus. also, they have access to more obscure titles that many other stores know nothing about. and if the high price of dvds are such a strain on life....then we need to re-evaluate our finances and maybe find another hobby.

as for Friends.....oh, nevermind..
Old 04-13-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
for what reason..price? I shop at Borders at least twice a week...if not more. they have superb service, and really treat repeat customers with respect. funny, I've never recieved good service from anyone that I've bought dvds from, except them. and respect is something I dont mind paying for. true, I dont buy new releases from there unless I cant find it elsewhere. but my "catalog" buys always out-number my "new' buys each week....sometimes 6 to 1. this and of course is there really any other retail store that lets you order as many dvds as youd like from thier on-line database, without having to pay anything up front? then they hold all the dvds for you for 30 days, and for me...it's all a big plus. also, they have access to more obscure titles that many other stores know nothing about. and if the high price of dvds are such a strain on life....then we need to re-evaluate our finances and maybe find another hobby.

as for Friends.....oh, nevermind..
While I think service is something to pay extra for, I also don't mind shopping for lower prices either. A question that occurs though is, if you order from their database, how is that different from ordering online? Checking over amazon.com I can find many obscurities, and probably at prices matching or lower than borders in-store prices. Plus, you don't have to go pick them up - they are delivered right to your door (usually with free shipping). About the only time I use borders B&M is when trying to find OOP stuff (like most here), and for that they are a godsend. For nearly all other purchases it's .com all the way.
Old 04-15-03, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by stingo
A question that occurs though is, if you order from their database, how is that different from ordering online? Checking over amazon.com I can find many obscurities, and probably at prices matching or lower than borders in-store prices. Plus, you don't have to go pick them up - they are delivered right to your door (usually with free shipping).
The basic answer is that borders.com is run by amazon. They are basically running their website with Borders' name tacked on the page. That way Borders does not have to maintain an e-commerce website. If you go to bordersstores.com, then you will get the store prices (not including current sale prices unfortunately) and local store availability. You can also find out about local store events if you are so inclined.