Chappelle's Show 4/9/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chappelle's Show 4/9/03

Old 04-09-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chappelle's Show 4/9/03

What a great episode!

Every sketch was funny, and seeing Blackstar reunited was great. This show is a blessing from the TV Gods!
Old 04-09-03, 10:00 PM

laughing throughout the whole show, not a moment of dullness. Loved it!!
Old 04-09-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the Trading Spouses skit. As always, I hated the rap "music" at the end.
Old 04-09-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya the Trading Spouses was awsome. "I finally got to taste some of that brown sugar." LOL, I know how he feels. And yes the rap music at the end sucked as usual.
Old 04-09-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think this show has gotten much better since its premier. Great episode. I wish they would just ditch the rap at the end. It's no good, and musical guests don't belong on a half-hour show.
Old 04-09-03, 10:24 PM

becoming one of my favs. Loved it!
Old 04-09-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I was definitely cracking up at the Trading Spouses skit. When watching the commercial I wasn't expecting much, but that skit was really funny.
Old 04-09-03, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
I liked the Trading Spouses skit. As always, I hated the rap "music" at the end.
I always hated when people make comments like that. Rap/Hip-hop is music. Just as much as Yanni, Elvis, Billy Bragg, Beethoven, and, even though I hate that I'm admitting this, Cher. That's like going "I always hated that cashier "job" at the store". It's music, the show is hosted by an african-american who happens to like to support some of his fellow bretheren by having them perform. Get over it. I hate the Dixie Chicks, but they do make music.

Anyways...as far as the show was concerned, this may be the best first season of a sketch comedy show I've seen. It's just killer funny...and having blackstar tonight just capped it. Mos Def and Talib are two of the best MC's out there.

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 04-10-03 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-09-03, 11:44 PM

Great post lordzeppelin, besides blackstar was great tonight, if you dont like the "music" just flip the channel. Not trying to start a fight or anything, but don't knock it just because you don't like it.
Old 04-10-03, 12:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought the saying an NBA players name in real life situations was hilarious. I almost fell out of my chair at the Paul Pierce one.

The trading spouses skit was good to.
Old 04-10-03, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by MrX
I thought the saying an NBA players name in real life situations was hilarious. I almost fell out of my chair at the Paul Pierce one.
I was waiting for the one where he was in the SUV with the woman and kid on the side of the road to hear "Gary Payton" but it was "any sports star!". Funny, but they should have nailed up Gary...
Old 04-10-03, 12:14 AM

yeah that sports stars one was hillarious, I just wish it would have been a bit longer
Old 04-10-03, 12:19 AM

If you didn't like the rap music, DON'T WATCH IT. IT'S NOT FOR YOU.

(Blackstar, as always, rocked the mic.)

RS
Old 04-10-03, 12:24 AM

RMSpuhler,
right on, it was nice to see them back together again, and they were right on point as always, really enjoyed it
Old 04-10-03, 07:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Mopower
Ya the Trading Spouses was awsome. "I finally got to taste some of that brown sugar." LOL, I know how he feels. And yes the rap music at the end sucked as usual.

Most of the TS skit was great. The rest of the show was pretty good too... well, except for the singing at the end. Hello, it's supposed to be comedy. I think that this show, like Boston Public, SNL, etc. needs to dump the singing!
Old 04-10-03, 08:18 AM
Banned

GREAT episode (minus the crap at the end, which I DID flip from).

Highlight for me was the "O'Dweeds" sketch at the start. F'ing hilarious. How great was it seeing Chappelle take a huge ass bong rip on national television.

"Shotgun, Little Guy!"

Old 04-10-03, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I always hated when people make comments like that. Rap/Hip-hop is music. Just as much as Yanni, Elvis, Billy Bragg, Beethoven, and, even though I hate that I'm admitting this, Cher. That's like going "I always hated that cashier "job" at the store". It's music, the show is hosted by an african-american who happens to like to support some of his fellow bretheren by having them perform. Get over it. I hate the Dixie Chicks, but they do make music.

Anyways...as far as the show was concerned, this may be the best first season of a sketch comedy show I've seen. It's just killer funny...and having blackstar tonight just capped it. Mos Def and Talib are two of the best MC's out there.
Your opinion, and you are entitled to it, as I am to mine. But from what I watched, it was 2 guys rhyming, while one guy scratched on a turntable. So, where was the melody? the harmony? the chord progressions? what key was it in? where can I get the sheet music for it?

That is why I called it "music". I also don't like the Dixie Chicks, but all their songs have melody, harmony, and are in some definite key. Those 2 guys may be some of the best MC's out there, but they certainly aren't musicians. (And I'm not biased against them for any racist reasons; I happen to love Jazz) Call it rap if you like, or call it sonic poetry; it simply does not meet the minimum requirements of music, in my book.
Old 04-10-03, 09:31 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Didn't know that in order for something to be music, it had to fall under the conventional standards
Old 04-10-03, 09:37 AM

I appreciate good rap music, but I usually shut the show off during it. I tune in for the comedy. The show gets me laughing and laughing, then I stop- rap music is on and it's usually more dramatic than funny, so I shut if off. I know many others are also. It's good, but this is comedy central and not MTV. I'm sure they are losing lead-ins to the daily show becasue of it. Hopefully comedy centrals numbers will speak to Dave and he'll cut it.
Old 04-10-03, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by dek
Didn't know that in order for something to be music, it had to fall under the conventional standards
Sorry, those are my standards for what I consider music. That is why I used words such as "opinion", and "in my book". I'm sorry for having my own opinion, and expressing it as such.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 04-10-03 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-10-03, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dek
I wouldn't call them "conventional". Just standards.

I love some crap. I have close to 100 CDs in my collection from the genre, but it would just be wrong to call 90% of them "musicians". Because they aren't. Nothing wrong with it, they just aren't musicians.

There are many notable exceptions, one example being Wycleff.
Old 04-10-03, 12:37 PM
Suspended

i love the show, but it seems that there are an unusual amount of commercial breaks for a half hour show.
Old 04-10-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "rap" at the end sucks. Plain and simple. You can't understand what the heck they are saying and I have never heard anything as sloppy as his guests. My opinion. Dave can have whatever he wants on the show so if he wants a bunch of guys that no one except hard core rap fans know, that's fine with me, but he just lost a viewer for those 5 min.
Old 04-10-03, 12:45 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
I forgot the funniest line of the show.

During the trading spouses spot when the white wife lifts the sheet up and Dave's character says something like "I've heard of trimming the bushes, but that's scorched earth"

And then he says"It smells like your lightsaber now" refering to the vibrator
Old 04-10-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Oooo...Titty Residue..."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.