Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mame cabinet (X-box or PC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mame cabinet (X-box or PC)

I'm thinking of building a MAME cabinet on my Sundays in the summer. And from what I've seen some of the dvdtalk guys have some kick ass setups.

My question is should I run a PC or an X-box? My main concern is with the joystick and buttons, I want to build a true arcade setup (I can feel the sonic booms coming ) can this be done with an X-box? I know I can get one of those ugly x something game sticks for the x-box but I would like to build my own.

Also could you please post any helpful links for the building of a mame cabinet and or control panel. I've been using http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eseanhat/arcade/ for most of my info.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Not sure about the arcade panel with the Xbox. I mean, I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just don't know what that is.

I went with a PC for mine, just because I was more familiar with it. I used a keyboard interface called an Ipac (www.ultimarc.com) with connects to the PS/2 port on my computer. Very simple to wire. It literally worked the first time I fired of the computer.

Check out www.arcadecontrols.com and www.happcontrols.com for additional info.

Post pics when you are done! Good luck!
Old 04-09-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.arcadecontrols.com - the only site you'll ever need. great forum over there too...

IMO, go with the PC.. it's a lot harder to hack 2-4 XBOX controllers than it is to plus wires into an IPAC.. plus your pc is upgradable, and as versatile as the XBOX is, you can still do much more with your PC..

i am likely beginning my 4-player control panel this weekend, as all the parts are now in... let the games begin!
Old 04-09-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm thinking of buying the game plans (in order to make cutting the wood a bit easier). I found the site a while back, but I haven't been able to find it lately. They had all kinds of cabinet plans, and for ~$30, I thought it was worth it. Anyone know that link?
Old 04-09-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.mamefever.com
Old 04-09-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mkdevo
http://www.mamefever.com
Yeah, it was similar to that, but had many more plans. Kinda pisses me off as I went to the site, but never bookmarked it and now I can't find it
Old 04-09-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The mother of all mame DIY pages can be found at www.arcadecontrols.com

edit - Didn't see mkdevo's and draven's post.

Last edited by rabbit77; 04-09-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-09-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found it I just remember it being larger...

http://www.emdkay.net/mame_arcade_plans.htm

Oh well, I like the look of the Ultimate Arcade II

but after further searching, this seems just as good and he's offering it for free!

http://www.webpak.net/~jmcclain/mame/index.html Nice looking cabinet and controller setup
Old 04-09-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am in the process of doing a Mame Cabinet with the Xbox. Infact, I am having an interfacing unit that supports Xbox, Dreamcast, PS and PS2. All of this will be plug and play, meaning I wont have to splice a thing. The jamma harness will plug right into the unit, and all I have to do is use PS to Xbox or PS to DC converters whenever I wanna switch systems. I wanna be able to swap from my CPS2 jamma hardware to my consoles whenever I want I'll post pics when I am done!
Old 04-09-03, 08:07 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Lampei
Found it I just remember it being larger...

http://www.emdkay.net/mame_arcade_plans.htm

Oh well, I like the look of the Ultimate Arcade II

but after further searching, this seems just as good and he's offering it for free!

http://www.webpak.net/~jmcclain/mame/index.html Nice looking cabinet and controller setup
Looks like someone copied Mameroom.com

I bought the virtual jukebox plans, if someone gets UA2, lets trade

edit - also I have the Ultimate Arcade I plans if interested

Last edited by dek; 04-10-03 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-09-03, 08:08 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by jessecrx
I am in the process of doing a Mame Cabinet with the Xbox. Infact, I am having an interfacing unit that supports Xbox, Dreamcast, PS and PS2. All of this will be plug and play, meaning I wont have to splice a thing. The jamma harness will plug right into the unit, and all I have to do is use PS to Xbox or PS to DC converters whenever I wanna switch systems. I wanna be able to swap from my CPS2 jamma hardware to my consoles whenever I want I'll post pics when I am done!
If you do this, please post your plans and a detailed how to about the interface. Every site on the net usually lacks description on anything.
Old 04-10-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd go with the PC. Just easier to get the joystick/buttons/etc. working with. I probably won't be following this thread, but feel free to contact me via e-mail if you've got any questions. And perhaps you'll find my MAME site useful:

http://www.movielocity.com/mame/
Old 04-11-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the Ultimate Arcade II, anyone have any idea why there are 7 buttons on each player's button config? I figured there are player1-4 buttons, a player 1-4 coin insert, and the 6 buttons for each player. What would the seventh one be used for (just below the six buttons and between the joystick and the six buttons).

Last edited by Lampei; 04-11-03 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-11-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lamp - that's pretty much for the 'neo-geo' setup.. neo-geo arcade games used the 4-in-a-row layout, and that's why there are 4 on the bottom, 3 on top...
Old 04-11-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah.

So can you set the buttons for different keys for certain games?
I only ask this as buttons 1, 2, 3 and I guess button 4 would be the normal 4 buttons, but with this setup, it seems that button 7 = button 1, button 4 = button 2, button 5 = button 3, and button 6 = button 4. Is this correct or is there something else going on I'm completely missing
Old 04-11-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by Lampei
Ah.

So can you set the buttons for different keys for certain games?
I only ask this as buttons 1, 2, 3 and I guess button 4 would be the normal 4 buttons, but with this setup, it seems that button 7 = button 1, button 4 = button 2, button 5 = button 3, and button 6 = button 4. Is this correct or is there something else going on I'm completely missing
With the MAME software and an interface like the IPAC, yes, you can change the buttons either globally or game specific.

I have a 6 button SF II config on mine. I had to modify the button assignments to play MK II (I made both center buttons block, for example.) Works great (though don't pause the game before making changes. They don't input correctly if you pause first. Took me a month to figure that out )
Old 04-11-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I *really* want to build my own now. Must focus on fixing newly purchased house first though! It's difficult enough trying to convince the wife to let me build one...I know she'd kill me if I choose this over the house