Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help me with a title for this Melissa Etheridge (i think) song.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of the UConn-Tennessee game, they (ESPN) played a song I could have sworn was by Melissa Etheridge. She has quite a distinctive voice. But I don't remember hearing it before. And I've gone through about 30 of her songs and made no progress figuring it out.

It had a chorus of..."I...I Am A Giant..."

Is this someone else or was it off of a soundtrack or cd single? I really liked it, though, and would love to know the name of the song.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-03, 03:14 AM

Hmm not sure of any Melissa song like that, and as I have no idea aboout the program you talk about, a quick squiz at the 'net produced this - check the chorus. Any help?

The World's Greatest
SUNG BY - R. Kelly -

I am a mountain
I am a tall tree
Ohhh, I am a swift wind
Sweepin' the country
I am a river
Down in the valley
Ohhh, I am a vision
And I can see clearly
If anybody asks you who I am
Just stand up tall look 'em in the Face and say

[Chorus]
I'm that star up in the sky
I'm that mountain peak up high
yeah,I made it
I'm the worlds greatest
And I'm that little bit of hope
When my backs against the ropes
I can feel it mmm
I'm the worlds greatest

I am a giant
I am an eagle
I am a lion
Down in the jungle
I am a marchin' band
I am the people
I am a helpin' hand
And I am a hero
If anybody asks you who I am
Just stand up tall look 'em in the Face and say

[Chorus]
I'm that star up in the sky
I'm that mountain peak up high
yeah,I made it
I'm the worlds greatest
And I'm that little bit of hope
When my backs against the ropes
I can feel it
I'm the worlds greatest

[Choir sings with R Kelly]
Old 04-09-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by redhenry
[B]Hmm not sure of any Melissa song like that, and as I have no idea aboout the program you talk about, a quick squiz at the 'net produced this - check the chorus. Any help?
THANKS, but no. It was Melissa and I still can't find it. Maybe it is something she hasn't released yet. I may have to call ESPN cause it's drivin' me nuts.
Old 04-09-03, 01:42 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From a quick yahoo search for the term "Melissa Etheridge I Am a Giant" and using match #1

Press Release March 12, 2003
MELISSA ETHERIDGE’S “GIANT” USED IN ESPN’S WOMEN’S NCAA TOURNAMENT PROMOTION

Two-time Grammy Award winner and singer/songwriter Melissa Etheridge’s new song “Giant” will be used within ESPN’s Women’s NCAA Tournament on-air promotion. “Giant” is a song about overcoming adversity and repression and lifting oneself to their full potential. The promotional spot, which highlights several tournament athletes, will run on all ESPN Networks beginning March 16 through April 8.

“It is a privilege to have my new song ‘Giant’ be a part of ESPN’s Women’s NCAA Tournament,” states Etheridge. “These young, talented women are an inspiration to all young women across the country and I am honored that my song is going to be a part of this campaign,” elaborates Etheridge.

ALL 63 GAMES TELEVISED ON ESPN, ESPN2 AND ESPN FULL COURT

For the first time in NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament history, all 63 games will be televised (March 22-April 8). ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN FULL COURT will capture all the action as ESPN and ESPN2 will offer whiparound-style coverage in the first two rounds for most of the nation with regionalized/ protected coverage in the home markets of the competing teams. All games from the first two rounds will be available in their entirety though ESPN FULL COURT.

The last 15 games from the Tournament (regional semifinals on) will all have national telecasts windows on ESPN or ESPN2. From a schedule standpoint, each round has also been changed this year, culminating with the new Sunday/Tuesday Final Four (changed from Friday/Sunday) taking place in Atlanta April 6 and 8.

During her illustrious career, Etheridge has released 7 albums, received two Grammy Awards, 12 Grammy nominations and in 1996 bestowed the prestigious ASCAP “Songwriter of the Year” award. Her most recent ventures, the two-disc concert film DVD of her personal and successful 2001 “Live …and Alone” tour went platinum and her 2001 autobiography "The Truth Is …"spent numerous weeks on The New York Times best-selling list. Etheridge is currently recording her 8th studio album.
Check Melissa Etheridge Information Network

Its the 5th or 6th news item down, dated 3/13/03.

Hope that helps
Old 04-09-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the same song that was used in all the promos leading up to the tournament. (it sounded like it was a rock song but the lyrics were hard to understand)
Old 04-09-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vryce
From a quick yahoo search for the term "Melissa Etheridge I Am a Giant" and using match

Its the 5th or 6th news item down, dated 3/13/03.

Hope that helps
Thanks!

My head has finally stopped hurting now. I knew it had to be her and it was good.

Strangely enough, Yahoo is the first place that I searched and I found nothing.

Thanks again.