Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Wilco EP: More Like the Moon

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gotten a copy of this yet? The thing that sucks is that it's only been released as an Austrailian import, packaged together with YHF. It was going to be released in the U.S., but I think they recently decided not to release it here. I know that it was delayed, at any rate.

The songs are really nice, though. "Handshake Drugs", "Magazine Called Sunset", and "More Like the Moon" are instant favorites. "More Like the Moon" is such a beautiful song. Lyrics show a sensitive side to a normally cold Jeff Tweedy.

Other thoughts?
Old 04-08-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a huge Wilco fan, but not enough of a completist to import the Australian YHF just for an EP that may or may not come out here.

I wonder what the deal is with the U.S. release--when first announced, I believe it was set for a February release. I'd bet we'll see it here at some point.

I've heard a few of the EP songs on the new DVD, but I guess I'll just have to resort to an. . . ulterior source to get the other ones, for now. . .

BTW: The first three Uncle Tupelo albums have been re-mastered and are set to be re-released either today (4/8) or next Tuesday (4/15). Not becoming a Wilco/Tweedy fan until '97, I was late to the Uncle Tupelo game, so I'm looking forward to picking these up. . .

Last edited by Matt; 04-08-03 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-08-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kamera EP songs are pretty good, but worth importing? Hard to say. 'More Like The Moon' is a very beautiful song. 'Handshake drugs' is very interesting mopey rocker interspersed with prickly guitar work. 'Magazine Called Sunset' is a different mix than the demo versions as is 'Kamera'. 'Bob Dylan...' is a somber ballad and 'woodgrain' is under a minute and half of electronic beeps and pensive introspection.

Last edited by lostatmidnight; 04-08-03 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody get the vinyl version of YHF? I was wondering how it was--haven't seen any reviews or discussion of it anywhere.
Old 04-08-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
Kamera EP songs are pretty good, but worth importing? Hard to say. 'More Like The Moon' is a very beautiful song. 'Handshake drugs' is very interesting mopey rocker interspersed with prickly guitar work. 'Magazine Called Sunset' is a different mix than the demo versions as is 'Kamera'. 'Bob Dylan...' is a somber ballad and 'woodgrain' is under a minute and half of electronic beeps and pensive introspection.
I think it's definitely worth it, IF the EP is never released here. I was surprised with the "Bob Dylan's Beard" mix on this cd. When I heard it at a concert before, it was much more of a rocker than this.
"More Like the Moon" is gorgeous. Check out the lyrics:

I see you in the morning
wearing
only one shoe
I say,
I see you've lost something
what're you gonna do?
You say, But no,
I've found one
There's another, out there
for you

I see us all as customers
holding
no purchase, so far
collapsing galaxies,
feathered with falling stars
I see us all as something,
but nothing
like we truly are
why don't you come to me now,
more like you are

I know we should be grateful
everything is falling apart
everything is breaking
and it lifts my heart
to see you as an angel
as some ghostly
work of art
why don't you come to me now,
know who you are
Old 04-09-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Virex
BTW: The first three Uncle Tupelo albums have been re-mastered and are set to be re-released either today (4/8) or next Tuesday (4/15). Not becoming a Wilco/Tweedy fan until '97, I was late to the Uncle Tupelo game, so I'm looking forward to picking these up. . .
Can anyone tell me who is doing the remastering of the albums? Who owns the rights to them? The first couple of albums came out on Homestead Records and I don't even know if they are still around anymore...

If anyone buys the remasters, please post your thoughts on them and whether or not they are an improvement over the old discs. thanks
Old 04-10-03, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

UT Remasters

As an old UT fan, who had the old albums, I was pumped to see and learn about the re-releases of them. While im a huge Wilco fan, I still feel the work that Farrar and Henneman did with that band is largely underrated.

The fact is that band spawned 3 tremendous bands following its demise, and you have to respect that. The UT release of Anodyne is put out with Rhino on the CD...im guessing the Same Rhino that produces the Get a Life and Trans. DVD sets.

To answer your question, i have all the original Tupelo albums, and ive bought the new ones and have been very pleased. First off, you get some pretty cool Coffee Creek tracks on the albums - Coffee Creek was a UT side project featuring Henneman (Bottle Rockets) Tweedy (Wilco) and Farrar (Son Volt) while they were all still with UT. Those songs are live and rare as hell, because as UT got more and more popular they routinely broke the Fire Code at Cicero's basement Bar in U. City St. Louis. Its a lot of classic country and old rock tunes as song by Henneman with the other two on insturments. I think Anodyne has 4 extra tracks, March 16-20 has 5, and No Depression has 4...im not sure about Still Feel Gone.

To answer your question simply, while i love having the old UT Cd's, and despite the fact that i have accumulated a majority of all the songs the band ever released, I enjoy the remastered versions and find them to be a worth purchase.

Hope that helps...sorry I got off-point there.

BRK