Reload this Page >

Penn and Teller: Bull $#!+

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-05-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody watch this show on showtime called Penn and Teller: Bull S#!T? It's a really cool show that features the famous duo as they expose popular scams and misinformation, and they don't pull any punches. In fact they have to call these scams Bull S#!T to avoid possible slander law suits. I really like this show and it is really entertaining, as a matter of fact it's the main reason that I have showtime.

Some of the topics they have done shows on include:

Chiropracters (SP?)

Magnet Theropy

Penile Enlargement drugs

Bottled Water

After Life Speakers (IE John Edwards, they event Called him the biggest Douche in the Universe too)
Nostradomus

Doomsday Prophecies

Fung Shui

Walking on hot coals

Self Help Semmenors

Spoon Bending

How Second Hand smoke wasn't harmful

And tonight they talked about Gentic Engineering of food and weight loss products. They Ripped Green Peace pretty bad tonight it was funny. Also they tested the Hollywood diet. If anybody wants any info on P&T's stance on any of the topics mention and what they did in that show and I'll try to post a synopsis of the topic.

What do you think of the show, and if you haven't seen it you should watch it.
Old 04-05-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is your friend.

Great episode tonight. I love how Penn gets so pissed off over some of these issues. "So unless your children are starving, SHUT ... THE **** ... UP!!" I like how they went after the diet scams, but I wish they had done a more comprehensive job. Some diets like Weight Watchers are nothing more than a simplified tracking system for a typical balanced diet. It wasn't accurate for that one lady to lump it in with ephedra-based drugs and Atkins and the like (yeah, I know ... to Atkins or not to Atkins ... that is the question in a string of Otter threads)

The thing with the anti-war protestors pro-world hunger protestors was pretty good too. Pardon the stereotype, but that one group living in daddy's beach house preaching "living off the Earth" was great. Hypocrites ... they make the world go round.

das
Old 04-05-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this was easily one of their best shows yet. I think it involved a trick: get people to watch a show ostensibly about diets but switch fairly early on to the very serious subject of exposing GreenPeace and some of the other environmentalists concerning their obsession with genetically engineered food and the way they do whatever they can to keep people all over the world starving with their pseudoscientific bull ****. I also liked the tribute they paid to Norman Borlaug, someone I have been reading about for a long time. See:

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97...ug/borlaug.htm

I think the diet part of the show was treated superficially because it was not the message they really wanted to get across, except to show us Americans that our problems of losing weight are miniscule compared to those who don't get enough to eat every day and thus set us up for the real message of the show.

Great show, P&T. It makes me even more impatient to see the upcoming show on Environmental Hysteria on April 18.
Old 04-05-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
This was definitely one of better ones. The piece on organic foods was probably their 2nd strongest so far - next to 2nd hand smoke. Never heard of Norman Borlaug before - a shame too since it sounds like he was a remarkable human being.

I loved the part where the guy outside the supermarket challenged the environmental nuts position.
Old 04-05-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
movielib, great point about the reason for the diet lead in.
Old 04-05-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Thanks for the article. We talked about the Green Revolution in my Population Geography class, but I don't recall Borlaug's name coming up at all.

I definitely subscribe to "Development is the best contraceptive." So true.
Old 04-05-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where and when is this on?
Old 04-05-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by edytwinky
Where and when is this on?
Penn & Teller Schedule

Edit: I see they have no new shows listed after the Environmental Hysteria show on April 18. That looks like it will be the end of the season which makes sense since it is the 13th episode.

Let's hope this program gets renewed.

Last edited by movielib; 04-05-03 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-05-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I hope they replay the 1st season soon. The first one I saw was the 2nd hand smoke one. I know that could not have been the 1st one.

edited: I guess I missed...
Alien Abductions
Alternative Medicine
Talking to the Dead

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-05-03 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-05-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite would have to be the Fung Shi one, where they totally exposed the Bull **** of that "Science". I about died when that one idiot forgot he was on camera and said the living room looked like ****. LOL

The bottled water episode was Freakin Hilarious to with that one guy filling up all of the fake bottled waters with the hose out back. God People can be stupid.

I hope this show gets renewed for next year.
Old 04-06-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
I hope they replay the 1st season soon. The first one I saw was the 2nd hand smoke one. I know that could not have been the 1st one.

edited: I guess I missed...
Alien Abductions
Alternative Medicine
Talking to the Dead
You also missed the End of the World. The Secondhand Smoke show was the 5th.
Old 04-06-03, 11:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

is this cable only thing?
Old 04-06-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's on Showtime, so yes, it's a cable (or satellite) only thing.

BTW, excellent show this week!
Old 04-06-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by movielib
You also missed the End of the World. The Secondhand Smoke show was the 5th.

No - I actually caught the repeat of that one shortly after the 2nd hand smoke one. I remember because they had the guy on who had the underground compound with the connected buses; plus they also talked about Nostradamus.
Old 04-06-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed everything until the episode that aired on March 14. (was staying in a hotel that got Showtime, saw it, ordered Showtime when I got back home that Monday). So I really hope they replay everything.
Old 04-06-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm finally watching the diet foods episode from Friday.

This is great. But those raw foods people scare me. Big-time.
Old 04-07-03, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good episode this week and loved Penn's closing line!
Old 04-07-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
Good episode this week and loved Penn's closing line!
Agreed. If it wouldn't have made me feel so stupid to be applauding my TV I would've been applauding that closing line.
Old 04-07-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I saw this for the first time yesterday on a free preview weekend on DirecTV. It was really good, but not good enough for me to pay $11 per month to get Showtime.
Old 04-07-03, 12:00 PM

As a non-Showtime subscriber, I hope this get a second life somewhere else (DVD or Comedy Central).
Old 04-07-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt it would ever get a second run on basic cable just because of the language. The best bet would be DVD or maybe even CBC (Canadian network) because they don't censor language late at night.
Old 04-07-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by sherm42
I saw this for the first time yesterday on a free preview weekend on DirecTV. It was really good, but not good enough for me to pay $11 per month to get Showtime.
I got Showtime only for P&T. To me it's well worth it.

If the season is indeed over on April 18, I will cancel my Showtime until the show returns with new episodes.
Old 04-07-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Roto
I doubt it would ever get a second run on basic cable just because of the language. The best bet would be DVD or maybe even CBC (Canadian network) because they don't censor language late at night.

Don't forget the Sex episode that had more nudity in it than family Business does.
Old 04-13-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

opinions on the last episode?

I enjoyed the hell out of it the Ouija board expose was pretty good, but the NDE stuff was interesting as hell. I had never heard anything about scientists being able to duplicate similar experiences in a centerfuge. That was cool as hell. I might do some more research on it just for shits and giggles.
Old 04-13-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I don't get Showtime.

How did they debunk Ouija boards? (I've heard of this being done by blindfolding the users.)

I have read about the centrifuge experiments to simulate NDEs, but from what I've heard, it isn't exactly conclusive or able to completely replicate the effect.

Interesting thing about NDEs is how many of them come from people who weren't revived, ie, "brought back." I remeber, quite a while ago, hearing about some guy who had a "hellish" NDE, and the guy had never even "died." He was just in a hospital bed in pain. And I'm like, dude, it was a freaking hallucination. If you're going to see what lies beyond the realms of death, you'd actually have to die first.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.