Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cher - The Farewell Tour

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cher - The Farewell Tour

Airs on NBC, Tuesday night, April 8th 9PM/8PM.

Last edited by big whoppa; 04-04-03 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
How much do you want to bet that this is not her last concert? She's too much of an attention whore.
Old 04-04-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I'm confused. Is this the same farewell tour that was on HBO like two years ago?

And what's with so many bands and singers doing this? Didn't KISS have a their farewell tour a few years ago as well? And now I read their co-touring with another fairly big classic rock band this summer (and I can't remember who at this time).
Old 04-04-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. That was just a concert although it was a "comeback" concert, I guess, if you want to label it after the success of "Believe."
Old 04-04-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by big whoppa
No. That was just a concert although it was a "comeback" concert, I guess, if you want to label it after the success of "Believe."
So in other words...welcome back...now goodbye!

BTW, are those pics from Madame Tussauds? Kidding, she does look good. I'll give her that.
Old 04-04-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daytripper

Yeah, ain't it a trip! And surgery and rib-removed or not, Cher's got one kickin' bod.
Old 04-04-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by big whoppa
Originally posted by Daytripper

Yeah, ain't it a trip! And surgery and rib-removed or not, Cher's got one kickin' bod.
You ain't kidding. According to IMDB, this woman is 57. I just keep thinking what my mom looked like at that age. Cher is one of those people I just knew would be thin and look pretty good her whole life.
Old 04-04-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
You ain't kidding. According to IMDB, this woman is 57. I just keep thinking what my mom looked like at that age. Cher is one of those people I just knew would be thin and look pretty good her whole life.
Too bad her self-image of what's sexy stopped at 30...

She would have been a lot better off with her real face, letting it grow old gracefully... She would have been a stunning and classy middle-aged woman... Now she's got a deathmask... She looks like a cross between the real Cher and a horse...
Old 04-04-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Farewell concert? Is she finally going back to her home planet?

I've never seen one of her concerts, how many stagehands does it take to get her back into her sarcophagus?

Honk!
Old 04-04-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cruel.
Old 04-06-03, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Farewell concert? Is she finally going back to her home planet?

I've never seen one of her concerts, how many stagehands does it take to get her back into her sarcophagus?
Old 04-07-03, 11:18 PM
Rest in Peace

Yesterday once more

I still see and sing along with Cher and Sonny singing their "I Got You Babe" on the Hullaballoo show, disc that I own. To see them together this was the first time I had *seen* Sony and Cher sing anything. I never did watch their show for the marriage was falling apart.

I know the words by heart if I am food shopping the place I go has all the oldies plus a few newbies Like "Can't Fight the Moonlight" by Lee-Ann Rymes who sang for character Violet Sanford of Coyote Ugly. Once in a while I hear a Cher song, she sure was a beautiful woman when singing that "I Got You Babe" in those bell bottomed pants we all wore and and us having flowers in our hair along
with the song San Francisco sung by Scott Mckenzie but written by John Phillps of the Mammas and Papas on that same old Hulabaloo disc that Sonny and Cher is on.
Old 04-08-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Time to TIVO the show.
Old 04-08-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Charlie Goose •<HR SIZE=1>Farewell concert? Is she finally going back to her home planet?

<HR SIZE=1>

das
Old 04-09-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

O.K. No comments about the show? I was flipping the channels (honest) and saw her in some get up where she had some kind of glitter and diamonds crap pasted all around her eyes and over her eyebrows. What the hell was THAT? It made her embalmed face look even creepier than it already is. Scary scary. Can anyone do a close-up screen shot? Words cannot possibly describe.
Old 04-09-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For effects... I've seen it before. You can see it if you look closely at the photo in the middle of the second row at the top.

The concert was OK. Of course, it would be better to see it live.
Old 04-09-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did she have this get up on during the entire show? She looked terrible with it on (IMO). Crosseyed too.
Old 04-09-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the time I think she did.

Cher did bridge the gap with her audience which surprised me. There were kids, teens, 20-40 year olds and seniors at the concert.
Old 04-09-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by big whoppa
There were kids, teens, 20-40 year olds and seniors at the concert.
Huh. I thought there would be more 40 year-olds than that.
Old 04-10-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was a pretty good concert. Hopefully they put it out on dvd.
Old 04-10-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wormwood
I thought it was a pretty good concert. Hopefully they put it out on dvd.
I'm sure they will with songs that were cut for TV and more backstage stuff.
Old 05-02-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know this spectacle was on weeks ago, but just found this hilarious (and scathing) Tom Shales review in the Washington Post. Enjoy!

Cher's 'Farewell': Good Riddance!

By Tom Shales
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 8, 2003; Page C01

On learning the special is called "Cher: The Farewell Tour," a doubting Thomas might ask, "Can we get that in writing? Please?" Just because somebody calls it a "farewell" doesn't guarantee that they'll really shut up and go away.

Then again, the screaming, shrieking, stomping, squealing mob that gathered last year in Miami to see the Cher show in question ("the Cher-iest show on earth," Cher says) obviously would prefer that she never left. They applaud every gyration, every wig, every outfit, every lame quip and every loud, wan song.

Whether a national TV audience will feel the same way remains to be seen -- tonight, actually, when the concert airs as a grueling two-hour NBC special (at 9 on Channel 4). It's surely a show that's sheer Cher, which means it's all about outlandish outfits and having no shame.

It can't really be recommended as respite from war because the extravaganza is a nonstop bombardment itself, the bunker-buster of music specials. The pyrotechnics are pulverizing, the lighting effects are blinding, Cher's songs all sound the same and, yes, the bleat goes on.

Not for nothing does "Cher" rhyme with "hair." She goes through at least a dozen colors and styles within the first few minutes. Lowered from the ceiling inside a giant chandelier, Cher is a peacock in a gilded cage. That's only the beginning. One moment she's wearing what could be one of Liberace's old bathrobes and the next she sports an Arabian nightie. But whatever she wears, it has to glitter and sparkle and dribble with gems.

In comments to the crowd, Cher explains that she goes through dozens of costume changes in a single night so as to placate all the "drag queens" who worship at her high-heeled feet. So that's how it works. The clothing also serves to take a viewer's one's mind off the monotony of her songs and the emotionless way she sings them.

Director David Mallet shoots the show from every conceivable angle and with a vast armada of cameras. There are two-way split-screens and three-way split-screens and four-way split screens, and with Cher and her dancers in such tight togs, you'd think there would also be several split seams.

The stage becomes so crowded with glitz and kitsch that you might think Frederick's of Hollywood just blew up. When Cher's sultry troupe of dancers first takes the stage, it's hard to tell which, and how many, sexes are represented. Then you see a biceps and a beard on the same person and you think, "Ah, that one's a dude."

Cher gets to make several entrances, one of them on the back of a giant elephant puppet. Now her outfit suggests Indira Gandhi as dressed by Donatella Versace, and the dancers for some reason are a Mongol horde -- though one more interested in plundering Rodeo Drive than the steppes of central Asia.

One segment of the concert includes videotaped footage from the old "Sonny and Cher Show," co-starring, of course, the late Sonny Bono. With Sonny, Cher sings "Baby, Don't Go" and, in a brief moment from the team's famous reunion on David Letterman's NBC show, "I Got You, Babe."

Then Cher sashays on through the years, with glimpses of her various movies (of which only one, "Moonstruck," was truly great), snippets from duets with famous guest stars (Lucille Ball, Elton John, the Jackson Five) and a cute sequence of Cher playing all the parts, albeit poorly, in an abbreviated production of "West Side Story."

The show is exhausting and dizzying, and in one strobe-light segment literally nauseating, but in no way is it truly entertaining. When, near the finale, Cher sings her hit "If I Could Turn Back Time," some viewers may wish they could turn it back too -- at least back to 9 o'clock so they can escape to another channel before it's too late.
Old 05-02-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, this show was a ratings winner for NBC. Repeats air on VH1.