Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/1/2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Carmen Rasmusen
32.20%
Clay Aiken
33.90%
Joshua Gracin
5.08%
Kimberly Caldwell
10.17%
Kimberly Locke
11.86%
Rickey Smith
3.39%
Ruben Studdard
32.20%
Trenyce
5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/1/2003

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Idol - 4/1/2003

Be sure to post who you voted for in the poll.
Old 04-01-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy cow! Carmen is smokin cute and hot tonite
Old 04-01-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This Disco night is falling flat and boring for me so far tonight (through three performers so far Kimberly C, Carmen, and Hercules).
Old 04-01-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was that a constructive critique from Paula? I am SHOCKED!
Old 04-01-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was amazed as well. That is the most negative that I have ever seen PA. The funny thing is that her boy, Corey Clarke, gave much worse performances than KC just gave, and Paula gushed.
Old 04-01-03, 07:35 PM

Clay was the best out of the 4, but it was Clay's worst performance so far, but still better than the other three.
not very "disco" though.

Trenyce sounded pretty good, went a little off on the screaming though.
Old 04-01-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Simon is really pushing for Carmen now. Like he said, she's the most commerialable (is that a word?) of the female contestants. Damn, she's so fine tonite
Old 04-01-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show so far has been much worse than last week's country rock show. With five people finished, I haven't enjoyed one performance yet (well I enjoyed watching Carmen's, but that is different )
Old 04-01-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a surprise. No one said anything bad about Ruben.

I am wondering about Simon's comment about Ruben. A couple of weeks ago he said that Clay was the one to beat, but I guess now he thinks that Ruben is the leader. I tend to agree that Ruben is in the lead thus far...
Old 04-01-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by zuffy
Was that a constructive critique from Paula? I am SHOCKED!

I was expecting her to say April's fools. I was shocked at well.
Old 04-01-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe I will say this, but Kim L. is the best so far tonite.
Old 04-01-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that the beginning of Kim L's It's Raining Men was the worst performance that I have heard in quite a while, but she definitely improved vastly by the end. Still not a good show though, with no one jumping out to me.
Old 04-01-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movieking
What a surprise. No one said anything bad about Ruben.

I am wondering about Simon's comment about Ruben. A couple of weeks ago he said that Clay was the one to beat, but I guess now he thinks that Ruben is the leader. I tend to agree that Ruben is in the lead thus far...
Simon is contradicting himself. One second, he says talent will win and then he goes back to the look thing. Which one is it Simon?

I bet those 205 jerseys will be selling very well
Old 04-01-03, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by zuffy
I can't believe I will say this, but Kim L. is the best so far tonite.
I just can't stand her anyway though.

I just think tonight's show is a terrible genre to be judging them on.

I hope someone that normally wouldn't get kicked out does not tonight just because of the genre.
Old 04-01-03, 07:53 PM

boy everybody giving Josh a negative review.
I thought he was better than 1/2 of tonight, but that still isn't saying much.
Hope he doesn't get the boot for that.
Old 04-01-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stand Kim L. too but I feel she gave the best performance tonite.
Old 04-01-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My one word review for tonight's show: Ugh!

I somehow doubt that Josh was actually sick tonight, but he can't really say that he wasn't, since Randy assumed that it was the reason why he performed so poorly.

Aside from America already having its favors (Ruben, Clay), I could really see anyone legitimately getting voted out for these performances. However, my predictions are the bottom three are Ricky, Kim L, and Trenyce, with Trenyce getting the boot (mostly because of her "scandal" coming out this week).

I just hope that they don't kick Carmen off!
Old 04-01-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, please keep Carmen for as long as possible! She's looking better each week
Old 04-01-03, 08:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...

Rickey - Not great. The high parts of the song sounded wrong, I can't put my finger on why.

Carmen - Cute cute cute. Her performance was nothing special, but it wasn't offensive either. She's tempered the vibrato thing a bit, which is in her favor.

Kim C - Okay, but she still seems to just have the one "belting the song out" note. She sounds better on verses than choruses for some reason.

Clay - I thought this was pretty good. He wasn't as animated as he should've been on stage, but it sounded great.

Trenyce - One of her better performances. I usually don't like the song, but she sounded very good. The outfit, I dunno. It's disco, yeah, but still.

Ruben - Perfect song for him. Great stuff, except his lack of mobility really sticks out on an upbeat style like disco.

Kim L - I hate her, but this was probably her best performace overall. The singing fit the song, and she actually moved around on stage. Still don't like her.

Josh - Ugh. Horrible. I know it's not his style, but I've heard better stuff at karaoke. Why did he pick "Celebration"? He should have went with "I Was Made For Loving You"...
Old 04-01-03, 08:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I just hope that they don't kick Carmen off!
!
1-866-IDOLS-02
!

Together, we can make a difference.
Old 04-01-03, 08:16 PM

Boring ......
Is it just my TV, or are the background vocals much louder then the performers? For Ricky's song, I couldn't even hear him except for 1 or 2 short verses.
Old 04-01-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DRG
!
1-866-IDOLS-02
!

Together, we can make a difference.
yes, we can make a difference + the millions of horny teenagers
Old 04-01-03, 08:24 PM

Simon is usually the lone voice of reason over the din of "hey mans" and Paula's inept attempts at politically correct criticisms and I almost always agree with him....

...except when it comes to Ruben.

I just don't get what all the hype is on that guy. He is an average singer and that is about it. Simon continually contradicts himself with the "purpose" of this show. This show is all about the marketability of the performer including the voice (in fact he even said it to Carmen tonight). I just don't see the marketability of a very obese, average singer, yet Simon has him the winner in his mind.

On the other hand if you put some time and effort into someone like Carmen then you have something. She has the potential to improve her voice and she is just too cute for her own good.

As far as Clay is concerned I just don't like him. I know he has staunch supporters but he is just way too high school drama class for me. I am always afraid he going to bust into Brigadoon or something and it frightens me.

The rest are pretty much toss aways now IMO...not really too much special going on there.

Just a rant on the show. I am sure someone else has ranted about this but my biggest problem with the show is the different themes each week. It seems the favorite criticism on the show is that it sounds too karaoke. Well having the different themes each week lends itself to that very thing. So when Kelly's album comes out should we expect Country, Rock, Disco, Torch, R&B, etc songs on the album? I don't think so. This "stars" should put themselves into the genre they feel they best fit in and then put their mark on the songs in said genre.
Old 04-01-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
Simon is usually the lone voice of reason over the din of "hey mans" and Paula's inept attempts at politically correct criticisms and I almost always agree with him....

...except when it comes to Ruben.

I just don't get what all the hype is on that guy. He is an average singer and that is about it. Simon continually contradicts himself with the "purpose" of this show. This show is all about the marketability of the performer including the voice (in fact he even said it to Carmen tonight). I just don't see the marketability of a very obese, average singer, yet Simon has him the winner in his mind.
That's why it is called an opinion. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean Reuben is an average singer. Obviously a lot of Americans disagree with you. I can't stand Barbara Streisand, but it doesn't mean she doesn't have talent and isn't a good singer. I just don't like her. IMO I think Reuben is the best singer in this years group. So what if he is fat? That would be narrow minded to decide his career on his weight. It doesn't prevent him from being a good singer. In fact there have been singers that became famous when they were heavy and then lost weight and could not sing the same way. I think we should be voting who we think can sing the best not who looks the best. That's why we ended up with Justin sticking around in the competition so long last season.
Old 04-01-03, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
So what if he is fat? That would be narrow minded to decide his career on his weight.
I totally agree. I would never judge someone in that way...ever. I am not a listener of mainstream music and I have never based my tastes on what someone looks like.

One of my closest friends and a former drummer in a band of mine is a big fat black guy with one of the most incredible voices you have ever heard...makes Ruben look bad but my friend definitely does not have what it takes to be an "American Idol".

I am mearly stating as what I percieve the basis of this show is and that is someone with a good voice that appeals to a broad auidence. I do however still think he is just an average singer and without the "other stuff" I just don't see him winning the competition. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

Last edited by palebluedot; 04-01-03 at 09:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.