Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Asian Horror film suggestions [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Asian Horror film suggestions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asian extreme/horror films?

I’ve now seen

The Eye
Audition
Ring
Ring 2
Ring 0
Kairo
Uzumaki
St. John’s Wort
Another Heaven
Bio-Zombie
Freeze Me
Dead Or Alive
Battle Royale

What next? Looking for scary and/or extreme stuff. Doesn't matter which region but english subtitles are mandatory.
Old 08-13-02, 10:32 AM

Hideo Nakata(director of Ring and Ring2) has a new flick coming out on August 15 called Dark Waters, i ordered that.

also if you wanted to put a couple of other features with your order i would reccomend

Inner Senses - some people have had problems with their discs, but mine works fine.

Nightmare - decent slasher flick from Korea

City of Lost Souls - kick ass Miike flick

Nameless - spanish thriller, but damn good, great DTS soundtrack available on HK disc, althoguh original spanish disc has a better video transfer, the HK disc is only 6 bucks though, so give it a try.

hope i was of assistance
Old 08-13-02, 11:32 AM

I'm waiting for this HK movie "Three" which will be coming to the big screen in my country.. Starring Leon Lai, I think.

http://www.threemovie.com
Old 08-13-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, The Untold Story would be amongst the most extreme HK movies, but if you're able to find the Taiseng DVD (which is the only DVD version available), let me know, because I sure can't find it.

Cageman, which is not on DVD, is an 'extreme' HK movie but not in the violent or horror sense, more on the shocking sense.

There are tons of HK horror movies out there, but none that I can really recommend as far as being a good movie is concerned.
Old 08-15-02, 06:43 AM

Is "Dark Water" any good and What about "Inugami"? Anyone seen?
Old 08-15-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mikko Rasinkangas
Is "Dark Water" any good and What about "Inugami"? Anyone seen?
Here's a review.......

DARK WATER

6/10

Honogurai Mizuno Sokokara : Japan 2002 : Hideo Nakata : 101 mins

From the director of the superb Ring comes another adaptation of a novel by ‘the Japanese Stephen King’, Koji Suzuki. And, once again, the story pivots on a youngish mother bringing up a small child on her own, plagued by visions of a ghostly presence of a drowned girl (face hidden by long black hair) which seem to strip away the reassuring surfaces of modern-day Japan to reveal an alternative world of fear and superstition. But while Ring’s horror involved a widening circle of connections spreading out through society, Dark Water’s geographical focus is tighter: the haunting is restricted to a single block of flats, into which the recently-divorced Yoshimi (Hitomi Kuroki) moves with her 6-year-old daughter Ikuku (Rio Kanno). Theirs isn’t the most welcoming of flats – there’s a nasty damp patch on the ceiling – and it isn’t long before the clammy atmosphere starts unsettling Yoshimi’s already fragile mental balance…

When we’re told, early on, that Yoshimi has previously suffered psychiatric problems after taking a job proofreading ‘extremely graphic and sadistic’ horror novels, we brace ourselves for a full-on Takeshi Miike-style onslaught of gut-wrenching visuals. These never arrive, and instead Nakata concentrates on building up an almost palpable sense of dread, coming up with the muddiest visuals seen on screen since Sokurov’s pea-souper Taurus. The first hour is a relentlessly rain-soaked asphalt-grey-blue exercise in grimy, doomy stylistics, as well as being quite a nimble satire on the state of the Japanese property market: even without the supernatural stuff, this would count as a real apartment-block from hell, that ceiling stain expanding all the while as Nakata ratchets up the stygian chills with a literal ‘drip drip’ effect. We’re never quite sure whether what we’re watching is going to be a horror film at all – perhaps it’s all in Yoshimi’s head. Perhaps she’s the malevolent presence – or perhaps her shadowy ex-husband is trying to ‘Diabolique’ her out of her mind so she can win custody of Ikuku.

As long as it maintains this ambiguity, Dark Water is an absorbing, rewarding kind of chiller, exploring the primal bereavement/abandonment fears of Yoshimi and Ikuku – young Kanno earns her fee and then some, bearing up remarkably well to what looks like a series of harsh drenchings. But when push comes to shove, the tension dries up – Nakata’s attempt at a Ring_-style thunderous crescendo of horror (as Yoshimi investigates a rooftop watertank), is disappointingly short on genuine shocks and scares. The last 20 minutes are, in fact, much the weakest part of the picture, especially a baffling ’10 years later’ dream-like coda showing Ikuku as a schoolgirl (Asami Mizukawa) experiencing what may or may not be yet another haunting. Ring ended on an inspired note of endlessly spiralling horror – with Dark Water, it’s more a case of ever-decreasing circles.
Old 08-15-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My review of Inugami

Originally posted by jtfoo
I'm waiting for this HK movie "Three" which will be coming to the big screen in my country.. Starring Leon Lai, I think. http://www.threemovie.com
This website scared the poop outta me. Damn u.
Old 08-15-02, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
well, The Untold Story would be amongst the most extreme HK movies, but if you're able to find the Taiseng DVD (which is the only DVD version available), let me know, because I sure can't find it.
I did a search on dvdpricesearch.com for "untold" and it popped up for like 10 stores. (okay, only 6)

Amazon has it here.

Is it pretty good?

cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 08-15-02 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gabegarwick

I did a search on dvdpricesearch.com for "untold" and it popped up for like 10 stores. (okay, only 6)

Amazon has it here.

Is it pretty good?

cheers,
Gabe
The movie is a classic. However, I think the Taiseng DVD has been OOP for a while. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 08-15-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tell Me Something from Korea was pretty good, it is a serial killer film al a Silence of the Lambs, that is if I would compare to something. I think you like this one.

Another coming to mind would be Tetsuo, but this is more a sci-fi with some interesting scenes.

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 08-15-02 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeez. I had two of these my buddy wanted to get rid of. And no one wanted it a few months ago.... Heck, I didn't even keep one for myself.
Old 08-16-02, 02:17 PM

Japan Shock has released a bunch of icky Asian movies that probably qualify as extreme: Men Behind The Sun 1, 2 and 3, Naked Blood, Evil Dead Trap 1 and 2, Guts Of A Beauty and Guts Of A Virgin, Beautiful Girl Hunter. Ebola Syndrome is sort of funny in a gross way. I still drool thinking about those "African Buns"! All of these have English subtitles. Oh, and Synapse has released Organ (and has more releases on the way). That should keep you grossed out for awhile.
Old 08-16-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts
I liked Inugami (wood theme) and The Isle (water theme) quite a bit. The later has wonderful cinematography and a couple of rather graphic scenes. If you like slow-paced films that have a "haunting" quality, you might like those. I prefered these to Uzumaki, Kakachi, and St Johns Wort.
Old 08-17-02, 10:09 PM

There are 4 merchants selling Uncut Story DVD on Half.com for $26-36.
Old 12-20-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=151021
Old 12-20-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While not horror, the most extreme violence I have seen in an Asian movie is of course, the classic, "Story of Ricky".
Old 12-20-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
While not horror, the most extreme violence I have seen in an Asian movie is of course, the classic, "Story of Ricky".

You beat me to it! Absolutely the most extreme one I can think of ... you won't be disappointed!
Old 04-01-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Asian Horror film suggestions

Hello Everyone,

I recently watched Ringu and got hooked like a big dog. I have already ordered "Dark Water" & Izumaki not too mention the rest of the Ring series including Rasen.

Do you guys & gals have any other suggestions for Horror along the lines of Ringu?

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 04-01-03, 04:35 PM

Definately watch The Eye. I enjoyed it more so then Ringu. Also I don't know if it's on DVD yet, but from what I hear Ju-On is supposed to be scarier as hell too. I know that HKL is releasing it, but I'm not sure if any other studio is.
Old 04-01-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is also Tomie, not the best movie (others here will probably tell you one of the worst ), but I enjoyed it.
Old 04-01-03, 06:00 PM

R3 Korean Phone(dts)
Old 04-02-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive heard alot of good things about The Phone. THE EYE is a great horror/suspense film. ST JOHNS WORT (ignore the ttile) is a great horror film in the vein of a computer RPG film, imagine the mansion elements in a Resident Evil game as a movie. SUICIDE CIRCLE is a disturbing film and the granddaddy of them all now is KAIRO (Pulse), the first film after Ring optioned for a film that was to star Kirsten Dunst and be directed by Wes Craven but was sidetracked for script rewrites. This movie has a great premise and some creepy ass moments.
Old 04-02-03, 08:05 AM

Thanks for these recommendations!

Please keep em' coming!
Old 04-02-03, 03:38 PM

Inner Senses
Old 04-02-03, 03:52 PM

I just ordered Kairo and Kikashi (sp?)

Thanks for the info guys/gals.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.