TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Public 3/31/03

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 08:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Boston Public 3/31/03

Bum fights, how original By my count this is the 3rd time that's been used this year on TV.

I thought it was funny Ronnie bashing Fear Factor, it's competition I believe on NBC, and Joe Millionaire in her summation.

The Harvey-Minime encounter was amusing.
Old 03-31-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Boston Public 3/31/03

Originally posted by MrX
Bum fights, how original By my count this is the 3rd time that's been used this year on TV.

I thought it was funny Ronnie bashing Fear Factor, it's competition I believe on NBC, and Joe Millionaire in her summation.

The Harvey-Minime encounter was amusing.
Yeah - the bumfights subplot was unnecessary - they could have found a better reason to get Ronnie back in court.

Ronnie's bashing was funny - she included just about everything that is/was on Monday nights.

The entire Verne Troyer subplot had me rolling - especially towards the end w/ Marla.
Old 03-31-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missed the first 38 minutes...drat.

While I can understand network execs should be held accountable for Reality Show ridiculousness, I find it even more ridiculous that those two idiots got a reduced charge..

Oh, and the thought of Marla & Mini-Me doing..'scuse me...
Old 03-31-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
The best part of the whole show was when they were playing "munchkin" music right before they caught Verne Troyer in the locker.
Old 03-31-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was some really funny moments in this episode. It made the preachy "reality TV is sooo evil" (hypocritical) crap a little more digestable. (Hello? FOX? The trashy TV capital of the universe! Duh!)

I was very glad that they wrapped up Ronnie's storyline in the end, with the parents thanking her in court, thus validating Ronnie's career. If it had turned out that she decided to become a teacher/lawyer, or some other really stupid, unbelieveable storyline, I would never watch again. Ever.

I'm not terribly interested in the Claire/Danny/Allison/Joannie storyline anymore. Whatever.
Old 03-31-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#%#%#%# hockey!!! It was pre-empted here because the Wild were playing...
Old 04-01-03, 05:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry...this is the episode where I think they officially jumped the shark. Didn't this show used to be about a high school?

Let's see...what did we have....

Mini-me in a locker
Guber as a rabbi
Fighting bums
Pony discussions

Almost sounds like the setup for a joke!
Old 04-01-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Boston Public 3/31/03

Originally posted by MrX

No kidding. First Boomtown, then Dragnet, now BP - and each subsequent portrayal of it got progressively worse.
Old 04-01-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode was so terrible. It's almost like DEK decided to use some leftover story ideas that didn't quite make the cut for The Practice or Ally McBeal.

Let's see, most of the hour was spent on a court case that would have been more at home on The Practice. They even got the DA to come in for a "crossover" that nobody cares about. Surprised Ronnie's lawyers friend wasn't Jimmy Berluti. And if that wasn't bad enough, the case was about a story that had already been done before on another show-- Boomtown-- and much better.

Then we have the B story about a little girl's birthday party and a jealous mother. Boring, and would be better suited on a family drama than a show about a high school.

And if the show hadn't already veered off the cliff, what else could we do? I know, how about a midget in a locker! And not just any midget, but Mini-Me! UGH. Isn't his 15 minutes over yet? Actually he should have only had about 5 minutes, prorated for his size.

This episode was pratically unwatchable. I hope they cancel this show soon.

Last edited by Jadzia; 04-01-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-01-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't Ronnie and her boy toy boyfriend actually go to the movies to see Austin Powers' Goldmember for their first date? One would think that she would recognize mini-me.

I actually turned to my wife when they found Mini-me in the locker and said one word: desperation.

My wife called David E. Kelley a "sperm donor". He makes great babies(shows), but then never sticks around to help them mature and grow up.

Last edited by sherm42; 04-01-03 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-01-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This idiotic episode had exactly one decent moment, Harper's expression when Hasidic Guber was tiptoeing through the halls. Other than that, utterly worthless. By the way, if Troyer's asking Marla out means he's sticking around, I won't be.

Honk!
Old 04-01-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode was almost enough to make us wish Hook Lady would come back.

It would have been even funnier if it was Lipschultz who caught Guber dressed as a Hasidic Jew.
Old 04-01-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

dek is after reality shows. he has this BP and then the practice with real network execs...i think that one is next week
Old 04-01-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The most annoying thing to me, is in what possible world could people be charged with murder for organizing a bum fight? Hell these kids were in high school, and not even 18 in all likelihood.
Old 04-01-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This episode reminded me why I stopped watching after the first season. Why was that now? Oh yeah, it's ****ING STUPID.