TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killing Pablo on the History Channel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-03, 11:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Killing Pablo on the History Channel

Anyone else see this show, I will admit that it is the 1st show I have watched on the history channel, and it was pretty gruesome in the footage it showed.

Various pictures/film of the aftermath of car bombs etc. Is the channel usually like this?

the show was based on Mark Bowden's book of the same name, and he is the author of Black Hawk Down, pretty interesting stuff, Escobar was some freak...
Old 03-30-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The History channel actually has some very interesting and educational shows. The kind of shows they used to have on Discovery and TLC. (They still do, but have turned their focus to reality-style shows)
Old 03-31-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imo, the history channel is one of the best channels available on cable. i esp/ love watching the ww2 and mafia documentaries.

i did catch killing pablo and i thought it done very well. the last 15 minutes felt like filler/fluff but it was still awesome.

it's been running a lot this week, if anyone is looking to see it, i suggest trying tvguide.com to see when it's on next.
Old 03-31-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I miss having the History Channel. I will have to ask my sister to record this one for me on Tivo. I had no idea they were making a show on this topic.

For anyone interested and for fans of non-fiction. Bowden's book is an excellent read. I read it a few months ago. I liked it a lot. His writing style has a better story-telling approach than most historical writers - sort of like Ambrose. I recommend it - nice/quick read.
Old 03-31-03, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by qbert
imo, the history channel is one of the best channels available on cable. i esp/ love watching the ww2 and mafia documentaries.

i did catch killing pablo and i thought it done very well. the last 15 minutes felt like filler/fluff but it was still awesome.

it's been running a lot this week, if anyone is looking to see it, i suggest trying tvguide.com to see when it's on next.
it is interesting that that last fifteen minutes of material was not covered in the book, which is excellent btw and thus was something I was paying attnetion to. That said, it did feel like filler. Good documentary and a pretty good examble of what you can find on The History Channel on a regular basis.