Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under 3/30

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-03, 09:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Six Feet Under 3/30

Great episode tonight! The new apprentice is a riot - what an obscure guy. Some great 'Nate' moments in this show as well. Not sure how much more of the married life he'll be able to take.
Old 03-30-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missed the first 30 minutes but happened to see "the return"--quite uneventful (i thought there would be more explanation) oh well, i guess that'll come soon enough.

next week looks rather *interesting*
Old 03-30-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought she would come back with a child (boy), thus making one of Nate's "futures" in episode 1 a possibility. And Nate is definetly cracking under married life, needing "permission" to do anything.
Spoiler:
It was hilarious when Lisa came out for "credit approval".

This new apprentice should be very interesting to watch..I think him and Ruth may get chummy. Also, what is going on with Claire and her prof???
Old 03-30-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Man....this was the first episode I've seen this year and I was starting to wonder if I missed a whole season somewhere.....color me thoroughly confused. I've read through the old threads and am assuming they've just picked up with Nate married with child with no real explanation?

And the new guy is absolutely great....what a perfect character addition...the play between he and Ruth was priceless.

"well, they are full of germs and therefore deserve to be killed"
Old 03-31-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
brizz, you're pretty much right. The season picks up about 9 mo after surgery with Nate married and seemingly content. That first ep was very confusing with Nate "dying" on the OR table and then they bring him back. Weird stuff.

I though tonight's ep was not very good. OK, and far more reminicent of the previous two seasons with a slow deliberate pace. It wasn't bad, but a huge come-down from the dizzying fun of that last episode (Death of the Party), which was easily my favorite. I have a feeling that the show is really going to lose some steam once both Kathy Bates and Lili Taylor are gone.
Old 03-31-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really have no idea what to make of this episode and how it fits into this season. There's this "sleepwalking" angle to overall tone of the show nowadays.

Nate is about to crack under the pressure of being a family man. Lisa is so totally not what Nate needs in his life. Had to love how they integrated the funeral of the "young" father who died in an auto accident over 25 years ago, leaving a huge hole of uncertainty in the lives of his young bride and son for all these years, with how Nate feels about his life now.

Keith is about to crack under the stress of his employment situation and his relationship with David.

David's impulsive past comes back to nibble on his backside just a little bit (with, of all people, the guy who also plays one of those Time Travelling dudes on Enterprise).

Rico's trying to make some management changes by bringing in an intern who turns out to be slightly creepy or sheltered.

Claire is now her art prof's personal gopher/driver/etc, and she painted Russell with the dreaded "Just Friends" label.

Ruth's fondness for Bettina shows up as Bettina leaves to go help out her daughter. Ruth's strange meal schedule with the new intern is just bizarre thinking. Marking time is now Ruth's new pasttime as she waits until she can enter her own kitchen for meals based on the schedule. There are cracks in this plan as she warms up to him.

Brenda's reappearance was so subdued and empty. It was like she was on prozac or something to mellow her out.

If this season is truly "real" I am not sure how I'll feel about these character developments because they are just really really bizarre.
Old 03-31-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I thought it was a great episode. I am glad they didn't go to a predictable angle with Brenda (like her having a kid by Nate). It was so subdued that it just seemed like reality.

The one thing I love about this show is that the characters & situations all seem so "real." They act and talk like real (quirky) people in real situations instead of so many other dramas. Hope that makes sense.

The new intern was great. His delivery seems straight out of a David Lynch movie.

As far as someone saying that the show will lose some steam with Kathy Bates & Lily Taylor leave...well, the show was great before both of them. Bates wasn't even in the first 2 seasons and Lisa was in them very sparingly. I do love Betina and think she makes a great addition to the show. As far as Lisa is concerned, Nate really needs someone who is more like him but not as psycho as Brenda. I think Lisa actually bogs down the show a little bit (even though that is what she is supposed to do).

Next episode looks quite interesting.
Old 03-31-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Well, I was referring to the Lisa of last week's show. Shy, eager to please and only a little controlling. Not this week's jelous card nazi. I hate when a character undergoes such a radical shift just to be easier to write off later. I know they can't keep Lisa around forever, but when you snag two actresses as good as Bates and Taylor for extended guest stints, you can't help but wish they could stick around.
You know it's funny, I always felt that Joe Pantoliano's celebrity took away from the Sopranos, that he was the one famous actor in an otherwise perfect, complete family. I never got that feeling with Taylor or Bates.
Old 03-31-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Of course Claire has to keep Russell as a friend. She wants a dysfuntional psychotic criminal for a boyfriend.
Old 03-31-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lisa needs to listen very intently to .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely".
Old 03-31-03, 12:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
I loved Nate's dream at the end of just driving off.
That was hilarious! I gotta find the name of that song that was playing.
Old 03-31-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
I laughed my but off at the new apprentice. Ruth should marry the guy.

Good episode but I was expeecting more from Brenda than making ammends. The awkwardness of the intial talk was great acting and seemed real life but other than that I can't see why she needed more than a minute before his errands to make ammends. I was expecting a baby or something along the lines of "I have AIDS and you need to get checked"

As for Betina I get the impression Ruth is in for a let down, the way she was hanging on to her, Betina seemed a bit put off. I still get the more than friends vibe of Ruth towards her.

I will now offically be very upset if this turns into a dream sequence as its gone on way too long. I'd still like to know what they were going for in the first episode. Anyone know when that one reairs? I forgot to keep a copy.
Old 03-31-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I loved last night's episode. Especially after last week's. Which I *hated*. And welcome back Brenda (YAY!!!) Man, is there chemistry between her and Nate or what? It just feels electric to me when they are together. Hard to explain. Anyway, a few reflections on last night (and in general). I can't stand the character (or actor) that plays Claire's friend at school. The one who is "not gay". That actor is creepy enough as it is. But the greasy Little Lord Fauntleroy 'do makes him even creepier (IMO). I'm still on board with the opinion that the writers and producers want us to think Ruth has a deeper affection for Bettina. Again, it's probably only platonic. But I certainly feel the producers want us to think otherwise. A small personal gripe, but I'm tired of the chorus thing. Is David going to see on EVERY episode from here on out? I also think Keith is going to crack. Soon. And last, I'm still not used to the new film they are using on this show. At times it was SO dark, it was distracting. Does anyone else feel this way? If you don't notice the difference, just put on one of the DVD's from Season One. If you have those that is. It's like night and day. Literally.
Old 03-31-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
That was hilarious! I gotta find the name of that song that was playing.
I believe that was "Not Dead Yet" by The Bad Examples.
Old 03-31-03, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
I believe that was "Not Dead Yet" by The Bad Examples.
Yes it was.

There is also a version out there done by Dennis de Young of "STYX" on one of their last albums.
Old 03-31-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Daytripper
Man, is there chemistry between her and Nate or what? It just feels electric to me when they are together. Hard to explain.
I know exactly what you are trying to say.

Originally posted by Daytripper
And last, I'm still not used to the new film they are using on this show. At times it was SO dark, it was distracting. Does anyone else feel this way? If you don't notice the difference, just put on one of the DVD's from Season One. If you have those that is. It's like night and day. Literally.
I also agree here. I had to squint a few times to see what was going on. And I am not talkin' about the scene with Keith and that other dude in the rich person's house.

For example the scene with Brenda and Nate in the restaurant. Completely obsure to me.
Old 03-31-03, 04:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Well, Brenda will be back obviously. Lisa (Nates wife) will either die, be killed, or leave Nate all together (We see this happening at the start of the season wehre Nate and Brenda are walking up the stairs with Maya). Eventually....
Old 03-31-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Nate and Brenda can make some serious mad monkey love, but Nate and Lisa would be standard missionary, and then they'd roll over and fall asleep, no cigarette, no post coital mind-fcuking afterwards.
Old 04-01-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Geez Patman, *I* need a cigarette after reading your last post!!
Old 04-01-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
Great episode. I loved Nate's dream at the end of just driving off.
Wasn't one of his last moments last season him tearing around on his chopper? This whole "just like dad" thing is KILLING me (though more real life than anyone would want to admit). I can't believe Nate sold his bike....

Originally posted by jpcamb
Good episode but I was expeecting more from Brenda than making ammends. The awkwardness of the intial talk was great acting and seemed real life but other than that I can't see why she needed more than a minute before his errands to make ammends. I was expecting a baby or something along the lines of "I have AIDS and you need to get checked"
Ugh! The "awkardness" you mention IS this show. What you were "expecting" - THAT is total network, soap opera, David E. Kelley-ish drama crap that you have been conditioned to impose on this terrificly written show. Please rejoin us in watching the show that thinks "outside the box" while putting people in them.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-01-03 at 10:59 AM.