TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed - 3/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-03, 08:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ed - Who will he choose? - 3/28

POST!

Last edited by Gizmo; 03-28-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-28-03, 08:56 PM
Suspended

Blah! Thoughts on this weeks episode? Who is happy, Who is dissapointed?
Old 03-28-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought it was a solid show. not as good as the lucid dreams show but pretty good. i really liked the eli subplot. i know that there are many who don't care for eli, but i like him. as for the whole ed/carol thing, i think that finally we will be treated to them together. i think that B&B realize that they are skating on thin ice with regards to the future of the show and that perhaps the only way to save it is to finally get them together.
Old 03-28-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by kevin75
i thought it was a solid show. not as good as the lucid dreams show but pretty good. i really liked the eli subplot. i know that there are many who don't care for eli, but i like him. as for the whole ed/carol thing, i think that finally we will be treated to them together. i think that B&B realize that they are skating on thin ice with regards to the future of the show and that perhaps the only way to save it is to finally get them together.
Half a season a go, I would have been all for the Ed/Carol thing, but the show can survive (artistically) by not falling into that will they/won't they inevitablity. Cause when they do, the show sucks.

So why not side step the whole thing and do what feels more natural now, have Ed go with Frankie and continue upon the merry way of Stuckeyville.

I know that getting Carol and Ed together might be the gimmick that saves the show from the scrap heap, but that would leave one pissed off Ed fan, me!
Old 03-28-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
It was a decent episode not nearly as great as the captain lucidity episode. I was upset that this episode did not have anything about Warren and Stella. I would love to see Carol's face if she ever finds out about it.
Old 03-28-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The lucidity episode was probably one of the top 3 of the series run, if we keep measuring every episode up to that one, we're going to be dissapointed every week.
Old 03-28-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe it was just me, but, DAMN! Carol looked great after she took off her knight's helmet! Whoa!

Frankie and Ed are now starting to annoy me.

Chris Isaak's appearance wasn't all that special.

Mike's foray into sexual self-help (err, should I rephrase that) was funny.

Helping Eli get back on his feet (at least metaphorically) was a good subplot.

It's actually kinda amazing how much they packed into one episode of Ed.

Last edited by Patman; 03-28-03 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-29-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I missed the show! Damn! Damn! DAMN!
Old 03-29-03, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I missed the show! Damn! Damn! DAMN!
you and me both, brother. i'd like to add DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! i can't believe i didn't rewind my tape before leaving. can someone post the most detailed plot synopsis ever? carol was in the suit, and eli got on his feet, and mike had some sex thing. c'mon people. hook up a sistah (us white people can not pull that off).
Old 03-29-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Maybe it was just me, but, DAMN! Carol looked great after she took off her knight's helmet! Whoa!
i totally agree. that is why this:
has been on my desktop for a couple of days.

Last edited by kevin75; 03-29-03 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-29-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by clemente
The lucidity episode was probably one of the top 3 of the series run, if we keep measuring every episode up to that one, we're going to be dissapointed every week.
Well said. I'm hearing that all the time. Everything compared to that one episode.

Not every Buffy can be as good/original/unique as Hush.

Still, this was a very, very good episode. I'm glad that I taped it because I want to watch it again and again.

It was also a very nice episode for those who might have just tuned in this Friday and hadn't watched before.

Mike was great, as usual. The line about having steak dinners all week and Nancy complaining about a Turkey sandwiches was hilarious.

Finally, a subplot that really worked and to top it off, an episode where you can really like and empathize with Eli.

I loved the tape that Carol made for Ed. I hope that he gets to see it one day. It was funny how she said it was American Idol. I also was drooling at the thought of there actually being 2 Carols in the world.

They also really messed around quite a bit during the episode to throw us off on who was gonna be in the suit. Carol mentions she has to do something "Ed-like" to let him know that she loved him makes the audience think it's gonna be Carol. Than you have Frankie saying she can be romantic too and leaving Ed all those cute little notes at the bowling alley. My favorite was the hotdog with the E by it. Frank-E.

Oh and lest we never forget Shirley. Ed asked her for 4 hotdogs and she says that will be $4.50. Than Ed tells her that he's the boss and that she doesn't need to charge him cause one way or another it's his money. And she responds with, "$4.25."

I am one person who is totally in love with Carol/Julie so I was glad it was her. I think that this show can still be very good even if they get together now. But maybe a cliffhanger might get NBC to give them another year or make another network pick them up.

This show is too good to be cancelled. I love it.

It was strange watching it on a Friday at 8pm instead of Wednesday at 7pm, but I hope I'll be doing it for several more years.
Old 03-29-03, 01:05 AM

okay c'mon can someone at least point me to a place where i can get a synopsis?
Old 03-29-03, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mike (taking a leak next to some guy): "That's a beautiful shirt."

Has there ever been another $10 bet done on the honor code, because Ed wasn't there to see Mike do that?

Last edited by dolphinboy; 03-29-03 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-29-03, 04:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll synopse ya.

Subplot 1: Mike sends away for one of those sexual self-help tapes you see in the back of magazines because he feels like he's in some sort of sex rut with Nancy. He gets it, loves it, and uses some sort of unspecified technique on Nancy. Nancy loves the technique, and they start to get it on more often, but after a while, Mike stops doing the technique (he claims it's hard to do) and goes back to "regular sex" with Nancy, who is bummed that she no longer gets the technique. This subplot is played for laughs, and it works.

Subplot 2: The guy who bought Eli's fish-n-chips restaurant after Eli got into his accident and couldn't afford the place anymore comes to Eli asking for help because the restaurant is tanking. At first Eli resists, but then comes back and is shocked to find that the new guy added a "future"-theme to the restaurant... it looks horrible. Turns out the new guy also lost Eli's secret fish-n-chips recipe, so Eli gives it to him again. After hearing about the restaurant's decor changes, the Stuckeyville "gang" show up to restore the decor back to new. When Eli sees how they've pitched in to restore the restaurant, he's touched, but wheels out without saying much.

Ed catches up to him later at the bowling alley, sitting in the darkness by himself, and remarks that he's never seen Eli down before. Eli says something about how he usually isn't, and that he decided that after the accident, he'd have to live his new life as if it were status quo. He makes a remark about how he can't "live in yesterday," or something like that, which is carried into...

The Big Plot: Frankie asks Ed what is/was up with him and Carol. He says that they're friends, and glosses over the nutty stuff he's done for her. Later on, Frankie is hanging with the Stuckeygirls, and she tells Carol that she heard about how she and Ed were, and the gals go into great detail about Ed's nuttiness (including the suit of armor thing). Frankie gets upset at Ed for glossing over the details, and says that he and Carol can't have this close friendship anymore, and that it's messing them up, or something. Meanwhile, seeing Ed and Frankie together magically makes Carol realize that she loves Ed, winning her the Flake of the Year Award. She decides to "go for it," knowing full well that it's not exactly fair to Ed and Frankie, but that she has to do it anyways.

At first Carol makes a videotape in which she interviews herself, Charlie-Rose-style, and proclaims her love for Ed, and drops it off at his office, but returns to snatch it out of the VCR before Ed watches it. Later, Ed meets Carol and tells her about his lucid dream... not everything, just that he realized that his relationship with Carol was holding him and Frankie back, and that they needed to not be so close anymore. Carol has another (her third or so) opportunity to tell Ed how she feels, but she balks again and tearfully agrees.

Ed drops by Frankie's place after the convo and tells her what happened. Frankie apologizes for being selfish, but then Ed says that he's always had this fantasy relationship with Carol, but what Frankie and he have is real. For some reason (I just found out that TiVo didn't get this episode, and I'm a little peeved, so I can't tell you exactly why), Frankie is a little off-put by this, and comments that she can be romantic, too. Ed agrees, and then leaves for home, but Frankie is still off-put. Later, Ed is closing up shop at Stuckeybowl, and finds index cards taped at various places along his "close-up" sequence. Together, they make a rebus puzzle, with the symbols saying "I can be romantic too. Love, Frankie." Ed smiles after he figures it out, walks out the door, and locks it, when from around the corner comes someone in a suit of armor. Ed smiles again, thinking it's Frankie... the person lifts off her helmet revealing Carol the Flake. Meh. Fin.

Other Stuff: Yes, Chris Isaak also guest-stars as a studly new teacher, and he takes Carol out on a date and kisses her, but he's mainly there so that Ed & Carol have an awkward moment when they see each other out with different people. They do have a second date scheduled for the future, though. There's also a scene in which Molly comes over to Carol's and Carol goes off about how much she loves Ed, and Molly agrees that Carol has to go for it. (I might be crazy, but I swear that in the promos, Carol says, "I love him, Molls," but in the show, she says "I love him, Molly.")

All week I thought Frankie was in the suit, but after the rebus, I knew it was Carol... I knew that they were trying to get us thinking one way with Frankie trying to be romantic, and so for the yummy plot twist, they'd go the other way and put Carol in the suit.

Also, if anyone wants to e-mail me a tape of this episode, drop me an e-mail... I'll pay all associated fees (within reason ).
Old 03-29-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AS I said in the other post, I loved this episode. Mike's sex thing was funny, and I even liked the Eli story where he tells Ed how hard it is for him to try to function in his new life. I agree that Carol looked amazing after she took off the helmet.
Old 03-29-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Anyone know the ratings for last night? The $10 bet was one of the funniest and my favorite.
Old 03-29-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
(I might be crazy, but I swear that in the promos, Carol says, "I love him, Molls," but in the show, she says "I love him, Molly.")
that wasn't the only thing. IIRC, in the preview there was also a shot of nancy and carol walking past christ isaak's classroom and half staring that was not shown as well as a line from carol, "you're a great guy."
Old 03-29-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh yeah, i think that one of the best things they could do to build ratings for this show is to release it on dvd. while it might not increase them as much as 24 has, it certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 03-29-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sandy, the new owner of Eli's Fish and Chips was played the guy who is Bobbie on The Sopranos.
Old 03-29-03, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Woo Hoo! NBC ruled last night! Check out the ratings...

NBC led the charge on Friday night with the premiere of a new reality show and the moving of "Ed" from Wednesdays, winning each hour of primetime and taking an 8.3 rating/14 share in households for the night. CBS came in second with a 5.5/9, just ahead of ABC's 5.4/9. FOX rounded out the Big Four networks with a 3.4/6.

NBC also carried the 18 to 49 demographic, with a 4.0 rating, well ahead of CBS' 2.8. ABC was third with a 2.6, followed by FOX's 2.3.

At 8 p.m., NBC won the hour with the premiere of "Search for the Most Talented Kid in America," which earned a 7.6/13. ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" took a 6.2/11 for second, ahead of CBS' NCAA coverage of the Maryland vs. Michigan State game in third, 5.4/9. FOX's "Fastlane" was fourth with a 3.3/6 for the hour.

NBC was on top at 9 p.m. as well, with "Ed" making its move to a new home for the last three episodes of its season, 6.8/11. CBS moved up to second with basketball taking a 6.0/10 for the hour. ABC aired "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter," 5.0/8, at a special time to serve as a lead-in for the new Daniel Stern comedy, "Regular Joe," 4.2/7. FOX finished its night with "John Doe," 3.7/6.

NBC had the most watched and highest rated show of the night at 10 p.m. with "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," 10.5/19. ABC rose to second again with "20/20," 5.5/10, while CBS finished the night in third, 5.0/9.
Old 03-29-03, 12:39 PM

thanks for the synopsis static. you can synopsis me anytime

great to hear about the ratings. only question is was it only because the lead in from the annoying new reality show (aka the numbers don't tell the full truth)?

questions about the episode:
can anyone answer static's break? why was frankie mad when ed called their relationship real and one with carol to be a fantasy?

and after carol show up in the suit is that it? meaning an open ended episode for both her or frankie to sweep ed away?
Old 03-29-03, 01:13 PM

just saw static's request for an episode. i'd love one as well. i'd be glad to pay all shipping.
Old 03-29-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen an Ed episode in months because of the time slot. I watched last night and although it wasn't bad, it wasn't special. Mike's sexcapades were cute as was the double Carol footage. Some things are still missing.
Old 03-29-03, 01:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I thought it was a great episode. Lots of stuff packed into this indeed. At the end when Carol took off the helmet, I got up and yelled at the screen for some reason. Hadn't done that since an episode of 24 from last season. However, I knew it'd be Carol, it was just great to actually see.
Old 03-29-03, 01:59 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I've been serving you steak sandwiches all week and you complain about the turkey club.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.