Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How many Cd's would you sell back?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a large CD collection going back to the first disc I bought in 1988 ("Joshua Tree"). There are plenty of discs I don't really listen to anymore. I'm sure I could fill up a couple of boxes of discs to sell, but I'm not willing to waste time on Ebay to get a couple of bucks off each CD (less at a used CD store).

I was thinking though, if a magical music buying genie came and offered me a FULL refund on any CD's I want to sell back, how many would I offer to sell back ($8 for a used disc up to $15 or so for new discs)?

I honestly think I'd sell back 30%-40% of my music. Guess that means I buy impulsively or something. Hmmm, maybe I should get rid of excess on Ebay, even for chump change.
Old 03-27-03, 07:56 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Already did this, I sold all of em I literally had approximately 1500 cds and weighed the pros and cons of keeping or selling. I couldn't justify taking up all that space with a ton of cds I never really listened to all that often. Even the ones I did listen to on a consistant basis, I still couldn't do it. So I bought a 80 gig portable HD, and made high quality mp3s of them. Now, anytime I want to listen to an album I just burn it to a cd if I already haven't.
Old 03-27-03, 09:02 AM

For full price... I'd take back 90% of my CDs. Even for chump change I recently sold half of what I had.

One thing I did was take all the CDs that I had in my collection that had only one song on them that I liked (and there were a bunch of 'em), MP3'd the ones I liked, and burned a few CDs with only those songs.

I have become much more careful in my buying habits in my old age - but I used to buy a lot of CDs on impulse. I imagine that, from that time, about a third of what I bought I never listened to more than twice.

Pretty sad...

Bill Chance
The Daily Epiphany
Old 03-27-03, 10:48 AM

For your price range ($8 for used; $15 for new), I'd probably only get rid of 10-15% of my discs. (I have perhaps 350 in total, though I've probably owned at least twice that over the years.) Of course, I've been fairly good about weeding my collection (to pay for more CDs, which I then later weed again). So most of the stuff I have, I listen to, at least occasionally.

It would have been nice to have a CD burner to burn the 1-2 songs per disc I liked onto a few CDs so that I could occasionally take them out.

I'd try secondspin.com or uzed.com if you're looking to get rid of the discs. You can get $2 or more for a number of discs without the eBay hassle. The rest, just donate and take the tax deduction.
Old 03-27-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got over 700 cds and haven't sold one in years. Every time I used to trade 'em in, I'd regret it. Inevitably, I wouldn't listen to a disc for years then want to hear it about 3 days after I sold it to a used cd store for $3. I bought just about every cd I own for a reason, and I wouldn't trade nearly any of them.
Old 03-27-03, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I've got over 700 cds and haven't sold one in years. Every time I used to trade 'em in, I'd regret it. Inevitably, I wouldn't listen to a disc for years then want to hear it about 3 days after I sold it to a used cd store for $3. I bought just about every cd I own for a reason, and I wouldn't trade nearly any of them.
I'm with you, Gdrlv. There are maybe 20 out of the 800+ disks that I own that I would even think about selling. And I won't sell any of those, because I'm sure I would end up regretting it as soon as I did.

I am not a fan of the "throw it on a hard drive" school either. I have no objection to it, but it just isn't for me. I like the whole package. So my burden is to find a way to store them. Still trying.
Old 03-27-03, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I've got over 700 cds and haven't sold one in years. Every time I used to trade 'em in, I'd regret it. Inevitably, I wouldn't listen to a disc for years then want to hear it about 3 days after I sold it...
See, I don't think I could name many of the CDs I sold. I sometimes wonder whether or not I'll miss a CD if I sell it, but I never have so far. (I really liked the first Arrested Development CD... for about 6 months. And then I didn't play it for three years. Finally I got rid of it. Sure, maybe I might want to hear "Tennessee" occasionally, but not so much that I want the CD taking up space on my (somewhat limited) shelf space.)

Whenever I finally get a CD burner, I see myself being much harsher with my musical judgments, since I could then just burn "Tennessee" onto a CD ("Fall 2003 Songs from CDs I Got Rid Of")
Old 03-27-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it can be a great idea to whittle down a vast collection if you only like a song or two from each disc. I would probably do this myself except that I can't rely on CD-R's all the time (my car stereo is very picky with most brands). I don't think I'd really care as much if CDs were originally in slimline cases.
Old 03-27-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd love to get "the songs I like" off the large cd collection I have, but I don't have the energy to do it.

I doubt I'd sell them, even given that one song is why I bought a particular cd in the first place.
Old 03-27-03, 11:40 PM

None. I have around 1500, give or take, and they are like my children. I enjoy having a collection which runs the gamut from rock to pop, jazz to classical, and points in between. I fancy myself a poor man's Library of Congress.
Old 03-28-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have about 640 or so...i'd say a good 200 I would gladly get rid of.
Old 03-28-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Scorpio, out of 1500 you wouldn't sell back any? Wow. I've got over 2,000 and would easily dish off a bunch.
Old 03-28-03, 08:43 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Also, since I already sold all mine, I'm building one of these (actually 2 since I have all the files on my HD)

Old 03-28-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a collection that tops 5000 discs. Sure there might be a one-off disc here or there that I'd part with - and occasionally, when the mood strikes, I actually do - but overall, since I have so many complete discographies for so many classic musicians, I simply couldn't bear to break up my library just to recoup a few bucks.

Plus I never get tired of seeing the visual "punch" of my music library register on the faces of people who've never visited my apartment.

It's just so satisfying.
Old 03-28-03, 07:01 PM

I haven't counted my cd's except for my Depeche Mode (137) but they take up 2 walls. I have tons of vinyl also. I wouldn't part with a single one. I've collected almost exclusively techno and house tunes for about 13 years. As several have said before, I like having very few holes in my collection.
Jon
Old 03-28-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have lots of discs I've never even heard and would have hundreds I have heard and will probably never listen to again. My collection of cds probably totals around 7,000 and I have around 3,000 albums.
Old 03-29-03, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Scorpio, out of 1500 you wouldn't sell back any? Wow. I've got over 2,000 and would easily dish off a bunch.
There may be one, but I've had it so long I couldn't. When I picked up Sevendust's second album it became the only album I ever tried to return...unsuccessfully. Much like what Grunter said, I enjoy the impact of it all. And there have been some albums that I've re-discovered after years of not being played.
Old 03-29-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

since I have a cdrw...all of em
Old 03-29-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now, I would probably sell about 20 of them. I went through some phases in middle school and early high school that I don't really know why I like the music that I liked.