Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the draw to the Simpsons and Futurama DVDs?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all this thread isn't meant as a trollish point of view, but I for the life of me, throughout the what? 14 year run of the Simspons, and the couple years of Futurama, what the draw to these shows are.

I mean I can't stand to watch them live on TV let alone own them on DVD.

I've always thought these shows were simplistic, stupid and just plain flat out ridiculous. But what's ironic is that some of its most arduent fans are the well educated and afluent. For example, I used to work for my state's DOT and The Simpsons was a couple of the engineers' favorite show. They'd used to come in and talk about the show from the previous night the nect day in the field office before we went out to inspect the construction crews or conduct survey work.

So what makes these shows so popular and desirable on DVD?
Old 03-26-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always thought these shows were simplistic, stupid and just plain flat out ridiculous. But what's ironic is that some of its most arduent fans are the well educated and afluent. For example, I used to work for my state's DOT and The Simpsons was a couple of the engineers' favorite show. They'd used to come in and talk about the show from the previous night the nect day in the field office before we went out to inspect the construction crews or conduct survey work.
That's what makes these shows so great!

Why does it bug you so much?

I can't stand Friends, or Frasier but I don't call them "simplistic and stupid."
Old 03-26-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The shows are funny as hell and have some smart humor and as well as having some great parody's of classic movies. Watch the older episodes to get the classics.
Old 03-26-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What is the draw to the Simpsons and Futurama DVDs?

Originally posted by Imhotep

I can't stand to watch them live on TV
Cartoons are rarely broadcast live. It's a great strain on the animators' wrists.
Old 03-26-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that others can't. Hence the phrase "to each his own" commonly used on the board.
Old 03-26-03, 07:42 PM

I agree with above...I dont see the huge draw of FRIENDS and FRASIER as the top comedies...it is so un funny IMO...I never watched Seinfeld either.

But I love THE SIMPSONS...and FAMILY GUY. I dont really like FUTURAMA.

The Simpsons has excellent pop culture humor. It has many adult themes and its kind of like and insider thing. You watch it so you can "get it." Its hard to explain I guess, if you get it, you get it...if you dont, its hard to explain why you should.
Old 03-26-03, 07:50 PM

I've always thought these shows were simplistic, stupid and just plain flat out ridiculous.
Neutral Official: "Your neutralness, it's a beige alert."
Neutral Leader: "If I don't survive, tell my wife: Hello."

That's quality humor.
If you don't get it, it's because your puny brain is meek, and uninteresting.

Thanks to http://www.gotfuturama.com
Old 03-26-03, 08:02 PM
Banned

Re: Re: What is the draw to the Simpsons and Futurama DVDs?

Originally posted by Einsatz
Neutral Official: "Your neutralness, it's a beige alert."
Neutral Leader: "If I don't survive, tell my wife: Hello."

That's quality humor.
If you don't get it, it's because your puny brain is meek, and uninteresting.

Thanks to http://www.gotfuturama.com
No, that's humor on drugs.
Old 03-26-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
When a show (any show) can be on for as long as The Simpsons then there must be something right. It's hard to tell why they crack me up. I used to watch "The Tracey Ullman Show" just to see the animated short of them... okay, her show was pretty funny.... but that's beside the point

I know others may disagree but I'm amazed at the quality of the show after all these years. The shows are still funny and that's a testiment to great writers.
Old 03-26-03, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by jessecrx
I can't stand Friends, or Frasier but I don't call them "simplistic and stupid."
I'll call Friends simplistic and stupid.

But I enjoy Frasier, and I'll be getting the season sets along with Cheers when they're released.
Old 03-26-03, 08:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

You are talking about discussing the actual shows, not the DVDs. Moving to TV Talk.
Old 03-26-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I've always thought these shows were simplistic, stupid and just plain flat out ridiculous."

The thing is that they aren't, these show has built their reputations for their smart humor. Humor that is laced with pop culture references and subtle jokes. There are a lot jokes that people will miss because they knowledgable about the subjecto of the joke to begin with, so they don't catch the joke and miss out usually on something very funny. Hell one of the great things about watching the simpsons is that even after watching same episode 10, 20 times I'll find a joke that i didn't notice an it will be increadibly funny and I can laugh and laugh and laugh. Also these cartoons ironically end up dealing with more adult or risky themes than your garden variety Sitcom.

Granted though the last 4-5 seasons of the simpsons have been soso and they easily described simplistic, stupid and just plain flat out ridiculous." But a prime simpsons episode is something special.

Also Caiman that post was perfect! LOL
Old 03-26-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed, like in the episode when Homer buys lisa a pony, the begining has a spoof of 2001 done perfectly and I would never have laughed my ass off if I haden't seen the movie. There is also another one in the sherry bobbins episode where an Itchy and Scratchy episode was directed by Quinten Tarrentino.
Old 03-26-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
If you're an idiot savant, these shows are absolutely hillarious. That said, They are simplistic on the surface, it all depends on how and if you read into 'em.

I just enjoy the hell out of them, they make me grinn and relax. Oh and they're highly, highly rewatchable.

I guess I just like humor like that, I don't really like Friends, I never liked Sienfeld, and I don't love Raymond. I tend to stick with the tried and true shows like Six Feet Under (which makes me laugh insane amounts), Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Simpsons, Great Teacher Onizuka, Futurama, and Family Guy.

And just to note, I'm an Electrical and Computer Engineering major

Last edited by RichC2; 03-26-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-26-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. Of all the arrogance of some people, I can't believe somebody thought it would be wise to ask such an asinine question. What draws anybody to anything for that matter? And just because you don't like something, you act as if something is wrong with the people around you. I sugges you ask what is wrong with yourself first of all for being so insecure that you have to question others' tastes in TV shows.

For all the crap I don't like on TV, I would NEVER think about starting a thread questioning how people could like it in such an asinine way. I may be curious to know why people like Jackass and other shows I don't like, but I would never think about acting like my opinion is so better than those people's. I mean, really, the arrogance of some people is amazing.
Old 03-26-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I suggest you tell everyone your favorite show so we know what quality television is and everyone can stop watching The Simpsons and Futurama. Or they may just decide to tell you how stupid it is.
Old 03-26-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally posted by caiman
Cartoons are rarely broadcast live. It's a great strain on the animators' wrists.

so true.. so true..
Old 03-26-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always thought these shows were simplistic, stupid and just plain flat out ridiculous. But what's ironic is that some of its most arduent fans are the well educated and afluent.
Hands up for how many people he just insulted.

[raises hand]
Old 03-26-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all this thread isn't meant as a trollish point of view, but I for the life of me, throughout the what? 14 year run of the Simspons, and the couple years of Futurama, what the draw to these shows are.

So what makes these shows so popular and desirable on DVD?

I see you have Babylon 5 on dvd, I can't stand to watch it on tv why would anyone want to own it on dvd? different strokes for different folk my man
Old 03-27-03, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by caiman

Using a line from the Simpsons to respond to a Simpsons diss...
Old 03-27-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Possibly the greatest cartoon of all time.
Old 03-27-03, 12:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's seems the thread starter (one of the greatest intellectual minds of the 21st) century, has abandoned his own thread! Why ask a question if you don't want to know the answer? Unless of course you live under a bridge and enjoy eating billy goats.
Old 03-27-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's the subtle and satirical humor that makes these shows great. I don't find it surprising that educated people seem to enjoy The Simpsons and Futurama since they are smart shows. Also, some people are unable to understand or enjoy certain TV comedies because there is no laugh track to let them know what's supposed to funny.
Old 03-27-03, 01:40 AM

To paraphrase Gene Siskel (or maybe it was Roger Ebert):

"The two things you can't debate in movies are comedy and erotica. If it doesn't make you laugh and it doesn't turn you on, there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise."
Old 03-27-03, 01:54 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in college around the time Simpsons reruns started airing and there were TVs in our dining halls. Every night I would eat when Simpsons was on and I could never get over the fact that I was laughing at completely different jokes than everybody else. I hate to sound too arogant, but it seemed like I was laughing at the smart jokes and everybody else was laughing at the dumb jokes. I particularly remember the 2001 parody when everybody around me had no idea what was going on. I'm used to having different tastes from the norm, so I've had things like this happen to me all the time. But, I'm actually surprised even more people don't like the Simpsons considering they have such a range of comedy. It seems like they have appeal for everybody.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.