Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One/Only ZELDA - Wind Waker thread (plus rate it)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Rate Zelda: Wind Waker after playing minimum 5 hours.
50.00%
24.22%
10.16%
2.34%
2.34%
0%
0.78%
0%
0.78%
9.38%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

The One/Only ZELDA - Wind Waker thread (plus rate it)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 03:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'll drink to that. "I thought I bought Zelda...why am I playing Splinter Cell?"

Isn't the stealth more like Metal Gear Solid though? I mean at least with the barrel walking, I think they got that from MGS and the box walking. I don't mind stealth, the AI is pretty dumb though. "OH gee that barrel has moved 10 feet in 20 seconds, there isn't a problem is there?"
Old 03-26-03, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I guess that's my only gripe: the camera. I don't like it. The camera doesn't swing when you want it to, when I walk into a room I want to see the room not see Link seeing the room.

I probably harp on this too much, but if the free camera was more like SC I'd be in heaven.
I thought you could move the camera around (in a circle & up & down) a bit using the yellow controller. Or were you meaning that you'd want more than that (and I haven't played SC, so I have no point of reference for what you're suggesting).
Old 03-26-03, 03:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Isn't the stealth more like Metal Gear Solid though?
Actually, you insufferable twit*, I don't know. All of those "Sneak around the entire game because your character is a wuss that gets killed if a bad guy even looks at him" games blend together for me.

*http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=281430
Old 03-26-03, 03:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Groucho
Actually, you insufferable twit*, I don't know. All of those "Sneak around the entire game because your character is a wuss that gets killed if a bad guy even looks at him" games blend together for me.

*http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=281430
I couldn't find the joke in that thread so you are suspended.*

Spoiler:
*joking...

Spoiler:
... maybe ?

Spoiler:
... say brother can you spare a dime?

Spoiler:
I'm not sure what that last part means but it sounds funny
Old 03-26-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
So far I'm very disappointed. I kept an open mind about the graphics, and they are ok. Not "AMAZING!". Game play, and the game in general seems like a big rehash of past games. I am keeping an open mind, and I'll give it more time before trully I judge it.
Old 03-26-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine arrived today and so far I'm enjoying it.

Hopefully, this game will have the legs that Nintendo's other big games haven't had for me so far.
Old 03-26-03, 04:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

That goof kid with the snot reminds me of Ralph Wiggum (the character not the member of DVDTalk).
Old 03-26-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted 10. It's been some time since a game has made me want to rush home from work and play.

I just finished getting the 2nd pearl so I've now finshed 3 dungeons. I've done some sailing and some wind wakering. So far I'm very impressed by the size of the world and dungeons, the new moves, the huge amount of (new) items, and the sheer diversity of it all.
Old 03-26-03, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by parrotheads4
So far I'm very disappointed. I kept an open mind about the graphics, and they are ok. Not "AMAZING!". Game play, and the game in general seems like a big rehash of past games. I am keeping an open mind, and I'll give it more time before trully I judge it.
I feel the same way about the graphics so far. Just thinking about my little sister bobbing her head back and forth at the very beginning of the game gives me the creeps. Those eyes, those crazy eyes....

I am also not a big fan of the blur effect they used for buildings that are semi far away. I am not sure if this was for a camera like effect or to compensate for draw distance. It definately is distracting though.

That said I am still giving this a chance as well. It is OK so far, unlike the horrible Mario Sunshine. (Yes, I know I am in the minority on that one.)
Old 03-27-03, 07:51 AM
Banned

"I'll drink to that. "I thought I bought Zelda...why am I playing Splinter Cell?"

Isn't the stealth more like Metal Gear Solid though? I mean at least with the barrel walking, I think they got that from MGS and the box walking. I don't mind stealth, the AI is pretty dumb though. "OH gee that barrel has moved 10 feet in 20 seconds, there isn't a problem is there?"
The barrel walking is DIRECTLY from Sly Cooper..you do exactly the same thing in there...I made that comment somewhere else too...I have no idea where now

FS
Old 03-27-03, 07:59 AM

I forgot to add on the poll:

1 = xb*x fanboy
Old 03-27-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Maryang Palad
I forgot to add on the poll:

1 = xb*x fanboy
Or 1 = Final Fantasy Fanboy
Old 03-27-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's a fanboy? you mean someone who bashes a game when talking about something else?

for example, let's say we're talking about a great game like zelda, and then you bash final fantasy.
Old 03-27-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by FlashStash
The barrel walking is DIRECTLY from Sly Cooper..you do exactly the same thing in there...I made that comment somewhere else too...I have no idea where now

FS
To be fair though you might have to say that "the barrel walking is DIRECTLY from Scooby-Doo". Its not quite a new idea.

I've got mine but haven't played it yet. I have to finish Metroid first. I rate the box a 8 though.
Old 03-27-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like how the entire disc is gold..
Old 03-27-03, 11:53 AM
Banned

It would have been awesome if i knew what to do. How are u supposed to figure out how to kill the boss! You need the book! Just like the one for 64.
Old 03-27-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jack_Savage
It would have been awesome if i knew what to do. How are u supposed to figure out how to kill the boss! You need the book! Just like the one for 64.
Uhhh....it's called problem solving skills. I didn't have a book when I played Super Mario 2 and didn't know how to kill Wart, I just tried things until they worked....and now I am a better man for that.
Old 03-27-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jack_Savage
Ah the spoils of the Playstation Generation*

I beat Ocarina of Time AND the Master Quest (MQ was a pisser I tell you) without a book, and I will beat Wind Waker without a book as well. It's a trial and error process my friend. You have a limited number of items, try using them all, and if you got an item in that dungeon it's a sure fre bet that it can be or will need to be used to defeat said boss. The bosses all have specific patterns, watch them and look for openings. Using a book totally ruins a game like this, where the fun and challenge lies in solving puzzles and figuring things out. It's highly satisfying when you figure it out on your own, trust me. I usually resever guide books for games that kick serious ass (like Zelda) and use after I've beaten the games once or twice, and only to look up undiscovered items or secrets. To each thier own, but it is quite rewarding when you can do it on your own, kinda like having the training wheels taken off your bicycle. Now that was a rush. I would at least say reserve looking something up until you've done everything you can think of.. just don't run into and blindly bradish your sword all over the place and give up. Also figuring out the early puzzles will help you prepare for ones later in the game!!

* Referring to the generation of gamers from 1995 and beyond whose common traits include preferring flashy graphics, movie interludes, and ridiculous story-lines over actual gameplay, substance, or game mechanics; need strategy books to play even the simplest titles; and do not understand the concept of "high score" (what you mean there's no ending to this game? this is ghey!)..
Old 03-27-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

* Referring to the generation of gamers from 1995 and beyond whose common traits include preferring flashy graphics, movie interludes, and ridiculous story-lines over actual gameplay, substance, or game mechanics; need strategy books to play even the simplest titles; and do not understand the concept of "high score" (what you mean there's no ending to this game? this is ghey!)..
Prick*

* A person who lumps together and bashes an entire generation of gamers simply because they are younger than him. He's also known to brag about his gaming accomplishments, hoping to impress board members.

Could you be any more arrogant?
Old 03-27-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by celery
Prick*

* A person who lumps together and bashes an entire generation of gamers simply because they are younger than him. He's also known to brag about his gaming accomplishments, hoping to impress board members.
Didn't your mama teach you not to call people names?
Old 03-27-03, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
I like how the entire disc is gold..
Actually, the bottom of the disc isn't gold. It's silver. :P I'm really glad that I picked up this game. It totally blew me away so far! I really disliked OoT so I wasn't expecting to like this game much. I pretty much just picked it up wanting to see what the fuss was about and I'm really glad when games like these totally catches you by surprise. Everything about this game just sucks you in right from the beginning. Now for dungeon 3....
Old 03-27-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by celery
Prick*

Could you be any more arrogant?
I fail to see how the name calling is called for seeing as 1) The portion of my reply you quoted is satire, and 2) Most of my post was giving Jack_Savage advice and encouraging him to try the game without a guide book first, which I thought was being nice. Arrogance? Hardly, I simply stated the games could be beaten without need of a book as part of the encouragement. Now if I had said "Jack, you suck the goat's balls. Zelda is the easiest game ever and if you need a book you are an Xbox fanboy and like Star Trek.", that would be arrogant. People jump to the mad conclusions on these video game boards..

Originally posted by kaiyouske
Actually, the bottom of the disc isn't gold. It's silver. :P I'm really glad that I picked up this game. It totally blew me away so far! I really disliked OoT so I wasn't expecting to like this game much. I pretty much just picked it up wanting to see what the fuss was about and I'm really glad when games like these totally catches you by surprise. Everything about this game just sucks you in right from the beginning. Now for dungeon 3....
Weeell then.. I'm taking mine back, I preorder it I want the disc dipped in 24k's brotha!! But I agree.. despite what people say about Nintendo, they are easily making the best, most solid, original, best experience games on the market period. Nobody comes close.
Old 03-27-03, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Weeell then.. I'm taking mine back, I preorder it I want the disc dipped in 24k's brotha!! But I agree.. despite what people say about Nintendo, they are easily making the best, most solid, original, best experience games on the market period. Nobody comes close.
Haha....but yeah I was pretty excited when I saw the top of the disc..."Oh sh*t that's tight!" and turned the disc over... "awwww..." I think the only Zelda flop was that Phillips CDi game....wonder who made it cuz I'm pretty sure it wasn't Nintendo. :P
Old 03-27-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kaiyouske
Haha....but yeah I was pretty excited when I saw the top of the disc..."Oh sh*t that's tight!" and turned the disc over... "awwww..." I think the only Zelda flop was that Phillips CDi game....wonder who made it cuz I'm pretty sure it wasn't Nintendo. :P
There were 3 of them on the CD-i, and they were all pretty bad from what I heard. I have not played them nor care to try. Since Phillips had a contract with Nintendo at one time to develop a CD add-on to the SNES they had a deal to use thier characters for some games when they decided to make the CD-i seperate. Nintendo was not involved in these games and in many peoples minds, they don't exsist.

Another interesting tidbit, did you know the Playstation was going to be an add-on CD-ROM device for the SNES, and they when the Big N backed out, Sony decided to develop it into thier own next-gen machine.
Old 03-27-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very slow start but I'm totally into this game now. I'm very pleased with it and my complaints with this game are very small.
The cam threw me off as well but I can live with it.

My wife asked me if it was a game that was more her speed. I told her to give it a shot. She not often into games unless they are two player games but I think she would really like this game. I hope she tries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.