Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sacd

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sacd

Just wanted to see if anyone out there actually is listening to SACDs or has a SACD player...
Old 03-25-03, 10:01 PM

I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon in multi-channel on my SACD player right now.
Old 03-25-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm TRYING to listen to DsotM buy my "sacd" player isn't playing it. The damn manual has the menu there and everything else specific to my player (the pioneer dv-656a) works. I'm getting really frustrated.

edit: damn, I figured it out. Only the Asian model can play SACD . now I have to buy a player to hear this disc!

Last edited by Ergyu; 03-26-03 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-26-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sacd

• Quoth gkleinman •<HR SIZE=1>Just wanted to see if anyone out there actually is listening to SACDs or has a SACD player... <HR SIZE=1>

Absolutely. I too am listening to Dark Side right now. I actually thought about requesting that DVDTalk review SACDs in addition to DVD-A, but I could really come up with a good argument why. I know that's never really stopped me in the past, but ...

das
Old 03-26-03, 12:25 AM

I'm also listening to dark side on my sacd player, the sony scd-ce775, only two speakers though although the player does multichannel.
Old 03-26-03, 06:14 AM

I found out about SACD when the Rolling Stones SACD-hybrid remasters were released. I had been in need of a new stereo for a while when I saw a Best Buy ad this past November for a Sony DAV-C450 SACD/CD/DVD player w/5.1 sound, so (since the CD layer alone of the Stones remasters sounded so great) I decided to go for it. I'm very happy with it. SACD sound is a vast improvement over CDs. The player I bought makes my CDs sound better, too. Right now, I have most of the Stones remasters and the multi-channel SACD of Carole King's Tapestry (which sounds amazing). There are quite a few that I want, but next I'm gonna get Dark Side of the Moon and Blonde On Blonde. I hope this format catches on. I'd love to see the Beatles catalogue remastered on hybrid-SACD.
Old 03-26-03, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Are there any sound differences between "SACD only" titles versus Hybrid SACD discs?
Old 03-26-03, 12:53 PM

There are no differences between hybrids and SACD only. Hybrids have a SACD layer and a CD layer, so there is no loss in capacity or fidelity.

DSOTM sounds awesome in 5.1. You'll hear things you've never heard before on the album. It's like falling in love again, but deeper. Oh yeah!!!
Old 03-26-03, 10:12 PM

I was one of the first on board with SACD, and DVD-A a year and a half ago, having two separate players. In fact, I just bought the new Pioneer that plays both; and if I could, I would like to share my thoughts:
1. They both sound great, but if they were smarter, both formats should have allowed the optic digital pass through instead of the primitive analogs.
2) I am now convinced that these formats were developed as a way to head off burning; you cannot burn DTS, DVD-A, or SACD; that I know of.
3) While the formats sound great, take it from me, don't upgrade on new equipment until you "need" to not when you want to.
Most of the SACDs are being issued in stereo, and I have high end equipment and I can tell the difference; so don't be impulsive like me, just wait until the catalogs increase. Besides, a lot of the new re-masters in stereo; ie: CCR, Who, Stones, Deep Purple; sound great on good equipment.

In my opinion, Frank Zappa's Halloween in the best multi-format (DVD-A) issued to date, BUT, it is also playable on DTS; which most of us have.
Good Luck!

Last edited by wingfan; 03-26-03 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 10:18 PM

Actually, preventing copyng is exactly why you have to use analog inputs for DVD-A and SACD. I believe there have been some developments on the DVD-A side of things recently regarding a digital connection, though.
Old 03-28-03, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally posted by codefree
Nice vague thread title.
Nice thread crap
Old 04-18-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there were computer SACD players I would instantly get into this (plus my 5.1 system is on my computer too). But until then, I'll keep listening to my 5.1 DVDs.
Old 04-18-03, 04:38 PM
Retired

Nope, and I really have no interest in this or DVD Audio. I'm not an audiophile and as such CD's sound just fine to me.
Old 05-04-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I will be reviewing SACD for DVD Talk starting this week.
Old 05-08-03, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Kind of a strange question but are all SACD's Sony (and it's subsiduaries) albums or can a non-Sony label get the SACD treatment?
Old 05-23-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking for where I could buy SACDs online. It's easy to find The Police, The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, but I just read a review in Sound & Vision of Beck's album Sea Change rereleased in SACD and it's not being carried at most music stores. Anyone know where to get good deals? Most places I find want retail prices.
Old 05-23-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question for SACD philes:

Can the better sound experience of SACD discs be experienced with headphones or must you play them through a surround sound setup? I ask because I typically listen to all my music via headphones and I am interested in this format. Thanks.

-Gunshy
Old 05-24-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Roto
I was looking for where I could buy SACDs online. It's easy to find The Police, The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, but I just read a review in Sound & Vision of Beck's album Sea Change rereleased in SACD and it's not being carried at most music stores. Anyone know where to get good deals? Most places I find want retail prices.
I picked up Sea Change Sacd from circuitcity.com about a month ago for $12.99, (with free shipping). It looks like it is still this price there.

Oh yeah - The Sea Change Sacd is actually $1 cheaper than the regular Cd at circuitcity.com!