Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Five Funniest Shows

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top Five Funniest Shows

Recently I have become somewhat addicted to Comedy Central's Trigger Happy TV (which means that it will be off the air soon). If you have not seen this show... well, you need to find it, watch it, and love it, love it, love it.

Which brought me to this post: Top Five Funniest Shows of all time. This (to me) takes out of the equation such groundbreaking (but not all that funny) shows as M*A*S*H and Sportsnight.

That still leaves us with a whole lot of funny. My list:

5. POLICE SQUAD
From the makers of Airplane... and the inspiration for many, many Naked Gun movies... this show really and truly was too funny for TV. Ran out of steam a bit at the end, but this show was still 100% non-stop gags.

4. TRIGGER HAPPY TV
Again, if you have not seen this show, you need to. It is one of the most sublime and addictive shows on TV.

3. MONTY PYTHON
"This... is an ex-parrot!"
"Excuse me, but I came here for an argument!"
"Well, if we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy frog, now would it?"
Classic, side-splitting, inspired humor.

2. MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000
Several of these episodes made me laugh so hard that I actually sprained a muscle -- if you have not had to survive "rock climbing" with Tom Servo and the boys, you have not lived.

AND NUMBER ONE...

1. BLACK ADDER
Actually, this may count as all five of my top five, but I reckon I'll just lump all five seasons of this Rowan Atkinson show together and call it my all-time favorite. You can rent this at most Blockbusters, and you should, even if it means spending your last three dollars or donating plasma or hitting up pedestrians for change. Set in different time periods, with the same set of actors playing different characters, it is truly, truly hilarious.
Old 03-25-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Top Five Funniest Shows

Originally posted by ncmojo

5. POLICE SQUAD
From the makers of Airplane... and the inspiration for many, many Naked Gun movies... this show really and truly was too funny for TV. Ran out of steam a bit at the end, but this show was still 100% non-stop gags.

This gets my vote for the funniest series ever for an entire run. That it was only six eps does skew the data a bit, tho.

The Tony D'Wonderful ep may be the single funniest TV ep I have ever seen. The nightclub medley still puts me on the floor.

And Al rocks!!!!
Old 03-25-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gee, Peter, that's a hard one!

I would have to place Police Squad! on my list as well. In fact, even before I clicked on the thread to read the post, that was the first show to pop into my head.

The second was Cheers, then Night Court. Both of those shows I would be willing to watch at any time of day or night and there isn't an episode in either series I wouldn't watch again.

Picking out two more is always the hardest, because it's probably given to more my mood today than what I might feel if asked the same question next year. Are You Being Served? is probably my favorite Brit Com of all time, and I will put What I Like About You on my list, tho I am not sure of "all time" with that series, it's just the funniest thing on TV right now, and every episode is comedy gold. And it helps that Amanda Bynes is just so funny and talented, and I can't wait to see where her career takes her.
Old 03-25-03, 04:57 PM

i honestly do not have a great sense of any of the shows in the op. however my list would include cheers and night court. probably a litte cosby show as well. and for the heck of it i am throwing in sports night. had its drama but every episode could make me laugh out loud even if it was only 2 seasons. and for number 5 easy - the simpsons. week in and week out great show. in no way is that their order, but those would be my 5.

calhoun07 said:
and I will put What I Like About You on my list, tho I am not sure of "all time" with that series, it's just the funniest thing on TV right now, and every episode is comedy gold. And it helps that Amanda Bynes is just so funny and talented, and I can't wait to see where her career takes her.
i was just posting about her in the angel being canceled thread. she's amazing but i can't put the show in my top 5 as it is one season and may not get a second.
Old 03-25-03, 08:21 PM

If you like "Trigger Happy"...

ncmojo...

IMHO:
Looking at your taste in 'understated' British humour...
I'm pretty sure you'll like "The Office" ...
If you have BBC America -> Go here for the schedule...

BTW:
Just wanna include "Fawlty Towers" to the thread
Old 03-25-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My top five faves:

1. Newsradio
2. Seinfeld

and then there is a jumbled mass, including Simpsons, South Park, Kids in the Hall, Sledge Hammer, Curb Your Enthusiasm, WKRP and many others.
Old 03-25-03, 08:54 PM

I'd put Scrubs in my list. Very rare is the show that can consistantly make me laugh every week, every episode.
Old 03-25-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
My top funniest would be:

1. Black Adder
2. South Park
3. Coupling

I don't watch all that much comedy, so I'll leave it at my top three to keep the not so funny ones from making it onto the list.
Old 03-25-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Without doing too much thinking, I'll go with:

Late Night with David Letterman
Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson
Dick Van Dyke
Mr. Show
MST3K

Tough to leave off things like Simpsons, SCTV, Ben Stiller...

edited to add that I think Gilmore Girls is the funniest show currently on tv

Last edited by Lokimok; 03-25-03 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-25-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
i was just posting about her in the angel being canceled thread. she's amazing but i can't put the show in my top 5 as it is one season and may not get a second.
I totally agree, actually, which is why I said it wasn't actually an "all time" favorite. Just my current favorite on TV. That and That 70's Show are two of the best sit coms around right now. If it gets cancelled, I will be disappointed, especially in consideration of how many bad seasons they keep on allowing Melissa Joan Hart to force upon viewers. But then again they killed Maybe It's Me, the series that made me a fan of Fred Willard all over again.

I thought about it some more and Seinfeld would certainly be on my top five of all time list, no question. Heck, even probably number one. Every episode is a winner, in my book.
Old 03-25-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Too subjective to answer.
Old 03-25-03, 11:15 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Police Squad - True, it's kind of unfair since there were only 6 episodes, but it'd be hard to find 6 episodes of any show that were this good.
2. Simpsons
3. Seinfeld
4. Mr. Show
5. Upright Citizen's Brigade

honorable mention:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - the first season made me laugh as hard as any show ever has, but the second season hasn't been that great
Old 03-26-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1.) Simpsons
Old 03-26-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
In no particular order.

1. Cosby Show: Especially any episodes where Rudy has her little friends over. Peter was my favorite.
2. Night Court: God I loved that show.
3. Scrubs: Most consistently funny show on television right now.
4. Kids in the Hall: Too many good skits to name. I especially liked the one about the comedy writer who didn't write an end to the skit they were in.
5. South Park: It's actually getting funnier every season.
Old 03-26-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must go back further:

I Love Lucy
The Carol Burnett Show
Fawlty Towers
Roseanne
Three's Company
Old 03-26-03, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Draven
3. Scrubs: Most consistently funny show on television right now.
Just started watching this, it's a hilarious show.
Old 03-26-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

5:Seinfeld
4:Simpsons
3:Futurama
2: Police Squad
1:Family Guy (no question)
Old 03-26-03, 10:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it was SCTV (or a show for some reason that I recalled being called "On the Television") that had an absolutely hysterical parody of "Rhoda" where this woman is in love with her bean bag chair and won't have her friend come over, because "it's her show".

I think MAD TV is scathingly funny. More entertaining than SNL.

Last edited by Giles; 03-26-03 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-26-03, 10:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hands down: Fawlty Towers

I'm still waiting for "Police Squad" to come out on DVD.
Old 03-26-03, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
French & Saunders - I nearly busted my gut on their parody of "Fellowship of the Ring". Hands down the funniest comedy sketch I have seen in a very long time.

There is this British show that I have forgotten the name of that I saw on BA, that is this troupe of characters that do these mini skits revolving around word play. It was great. Anyone please help me out on the title of this show.
Old 03-26-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seinfeld
Family Guy
Simpsons
The State
Cosby Show
Old 03-26-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to see Cosby getting some love! It hadn't been on in my are for several years until recently, and I forgot how truly funny it was. I think the later years tarnished my memory of it. Peter and Kenny had to be two of the funniest guest stars ever

I can't make up a list of five though. Comedies are mostly what I watch on tv. I'll say That's 70's Show just because it hasn't been mentioned yet and it should be on somebody's list
Old 03-26-03, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by kneijst1
Seinfeld
Family Guy
Simpsons
The State
Cosby Show
Almost my exact list. I would replace the Cosby Show with Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Old 03-26-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Monty Python's Flying Circus
2) Black Adder
3) Curb Your Enthusiasm
4) Seinfeld
5) Police Squad!
Old 03-26-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Honeymooners
The Odd Couple
All in the Family
Cheers
Seinfeld

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.