Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cool Farscape article on the last episode (no spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could quirky Farscape become the new Star Trek?

By Diane Werts
TV correspondent
Posted March 20 2003

It's the end, sad to say. Farscape airs its final original episode at 8 p.m. Friday on Sci Fi. Last fall, the cable channel announced it was terminating its commitment to a fifth and final season by cutting funds to the critically acclaimed show after its already-filmed fourth.

But this month also marks a beginning for one of TV's best dramas -- not just best sci-fi, but best drama, period. Those of us obsessed with Farscape, and those who have yet to discover its depth, can now live the thrills right from the amazing pilot hour as Sci Fi starts repeating the entire series, March 31 at midnight. All 88 episodes of this gone-too-soon classic then air Sunday through Thursday nights at midnight.

And that may be the real start for Farscape the Phenomenon. Look at the most obvious TV model. Star Trek didn't really live until it was dead. Cancellation was what turned space-the-final-frontier into an eternal oeuvre. The weekly tale needed daily delivery to build its fan base, through constant immersion and the chance to absorb episodes repeatedly. It wasn't till we were all parroting "Beam me up, Scotty" and "He's dead, Jim" that Trek truly found its way into pop culture afterlife.

Farscape has even more going for it. The core story of lost American astronaut John Crichton takes place in our own timeframe, with allusions to Yoda and Steven Spielberg in the first episodes and referencing 1-800 numbers in Friday's finale.

Crichton might be a space cowboy, but he's no love-'em-and-leave-'em chieftain Kirk. Rather than handily handling plot devices, actor Ben Browder gets plunged into a loosey-goosey cauldron of alien appetites. He moves through full-bodied humor, rage and desire as his adventures unfold in stunningly theatrical production values. And they evolve on a continuing basis, forming over weeks and even months, which enables the show's striking dramatic substance (and also, unfortunately, makes plots hard to pick up in progress).

But series creator Rockne S. O'Bannon's great masterstroke was designing a behavioral dynamic that raises the emotional stakes to extremes. Crichton is utterly alone in space. So are the ragtag cohorts with whom he falls in on the living ship Moya -- escaped prisoners or renegades in their own worlds, each searching for something, living without rules but with their own individual senses of morality, which may or may not dovetail with anyone else's.

With the aliens on equal footing with the human, their characters vibrantly manifest their own aspirations and agendas. They're often at cross-purposes. They act on passions and prejudices, which makes for intense entertainment. Even the animatronic characters from the Jim Henson Creature Shop can be astonishingly expressive.

It's that nervous edge -- and contemporary irreverence -- that drew Farscape a more broad-based audience than most sci-fi, most of it adult, much of it female, and decidedly non-geek. The richness of the storytelling radiates to the end, when Crichton and warrior Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) reach a critical juncture in their relationship, when Crichton again faces that id/ego challenge of having the evil Scorpius (Wayne Pygram) implanted inside his head, when we're not sure who's betraying whom or whether Earth is going down for the count.

Yes, there are spaceship battles. Yes, there are creepy aliens. But most of all, there's a humanity that's heart-rending. Crichton is lost in oh-so-many ways. And just when it looks like he might be found -- well, you'll have to see for yourself.

And you'll have to wonder what might have been. Browder and Black are back looking for work Stateside (Farscape filmed in Sydney), and all parties to the production have moved on. Fans mounted an impressive campaign to revive enough interest to continue (www.savefarscape.com), but the series seems sincerely dead. Oh, well. Maybe 30 years from now, we'll all be whining how limp the ninth Farscape movie and fifth TV spinoff are, and how long in the tooth Browder is getting. If only.

Link

Ahhh, one can only hope Farscape pulls a Trek and comes back stronger than ever, huh?
Old 03-21-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It would be nice. I'm not sure Farscape has the same appeal, though. While intelligent science fiction, Star Trek was simple enough that the average TV viewer could find meaning in its presentation, and it was episodic in nature making it easy to pick up on the fly. I think Farscape requires a bit more dedication of the mind while watching and significantly more dedication to watching the show in order. It would certainly be a great thing, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to treat the American television audience with that level of respect just yet.

On a side note, if anyone's interested, TV Guide came this close to putting Farscape on its cover this week. Many people wanted it to happen, but as a business decision, they just couldn't justify it. While I'm disappointed, I can certainly understand their reasoning.

das
Old 03-21-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...lord knows those lenticular NASCAR covers had everything to do with Television...
Old 03-21-03, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a double edge sword to place Farscape on the cover. While it would have hopefully boost viewership to the best show on TV but unfortunatley bombard the viewers of the other garbage they are trying to pass off as Scifi. After tonights episode, Scifi will be dead to me.
Old 03-21-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This episode has made me hate Bonnie even more than ever. The last episode was a cheat to the fans of this show. What a croc!!! You could tell they had to slap the episode together thanks to that dumb Bonnie.

The best insult was the blurb at the end from sci-fi thanking the creators, actors and fans of the show for 4 great years!!!! It should have been five dammit!!!!

Arghhhhhh. I'm so frickin' mad right now.