Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Road to Perdition

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road to Perdition

Anyone have any opinions on the dvd road to perdition..?? I wanna know how it is b4 i go buying it i havent heard much about it...thanx
Old 03-21-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The extras are pretty weak (aside from commentary) but the picture and sound are quite good...and the movie is so great you shouldn't hesitate to get it.

MATT
Old 03-21-03, 12:45 PM

The DVd video is fantastic. The sound track is good as well. The movie is well worth owning. Great story. Extras get no play at my place!!!So i could not tell you. Must buy!!!
Old 03-21-03, 12:49 PM

The Picture quality is excellent. The sound is good. The movie was OK. I juct couldn't get past Hanks playing a hit man. Even though Hanks is one of the greatest actors of our time, IMO, he was miscast.

I bought it SUS. I don't regret it, but it will probably be a dust collector or eBay fodder at some point.
Old 03-22-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only thing i noticed was the lack of extras..not even a trailer! the picture and sound are both very good though..not to mention i enjoyed the movie even more than i did in theatres..definately buy it if you like the movie
Old 03-22-03, 04:09 PM

the only thing i noticed was the lack of extras..not even a trailer!
But it had plenty of other materials - "not even a trailer" makes it sound like the DVD includes NOTHING...
Old 03-22-03, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

I would suggest renting it. the movie is good but definitely not something I could sit through again.
Old 03-31-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the film, but I just didn't buy Tom Hanks in this role. He's just too "goody goody" to play a hitman imo. Jude Law continues to impress me with his work however. Pretty decent second effort by Sam Mendes.
Old 03-31-03, 03:47 AM
Suspended

Yup, Hanks just doesn't fit the role of a hitman. Jude Law should've been casted as the hitman.

Why don't you rent it from block buster first?

Don't really care about the extras on DVDs. As long as it's in 2:35:1 and DTS, it's all good.
Old 03-31-03, 08:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I strongly recommend both the movie and DVD. The DVD includes a very insightful commentary by Sam Mendes, a good collection of deleted scenes and a crisp video and sharp audio. As for Tom Hanks as a hitman...you can make your own judgement.
Old 03-31-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I agree there is a certain incongruity about Hanks playing the role of a criminal, I believe this is exactly the vibe the director sought---this guy isn’t just a hit man; he is a father, a mild-mannered family man whose occupation falls outside the law. Casting someone with a more sinister persona would have weakened this tension and given the film an entirely different feeling. For the film to work, you have to believe Michael Sullivan
Spoiler:
loves his family and is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to preserve it.
Old 04-01-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by audrey
While I agree there is a certain incongruity about Hanks playing the role of a criminal, I believe this is exactly the vibe the director sought---this guy isn’t just a hit man; he is a father, a mild-mannered family man whose occupation falls outside the law. Casting someone with a more sinister persona would have weakened this tension and given the film an entirely different feeling. For the film to work, you have to believe Michael Sullivan
Spoiler:
loves his family and is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to preserve it.
Good point