Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why I will be watching less TV starting next season & a website you should know about

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why I will be watching less TV starting next season & a website you should know about

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Back from my extended MIA. Glenn told me about this website called tvshowsondvd.com. If you don't already know about it you should check it out. It's a site that you have to register for, which I normally hate to do, but it's simple. You let folks know the shows you'd like to see on DVD and how, by season, best of or individual. Plus you can add comments. If they don't have a show you like, you can add it.

Why will I be watching less starting next season? Because it looks like the bulk of it will be reality TV and I hate that shyte. So, it will cut down on my watching. Which if more stuff comes out on DVD, that will be fine with me.

So, how's it going?
Old 03-17-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But luckly, at least for me, in september, Alias will get first season dvd treatment so I can catch up, but I only watch that, 24, sopranos, and buffy.
Old 03-17-03, 09:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
April 29th - Son of the Beach!
Old 03-17-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where's WKRP in Cincinnati?!?!

Oh, I'm the only one, I guess.
Old 03-18-03, 12:01 AM

i agree with the reality tv garbage. seems like disney is pushing abc which is supposed to have more of it than any other station. i tend to hate it like the plague. i did watch the surreal life and an occasional survivor but i skip everything else like oppurtunities to get botulism. i wish that people would start to right some more great dramas along the lines of the west wing, sci-fi along the lines of smallville (loosely) and buffy, and comedies along the lines of sports night oddly enough all i ever hear on these boards is the majority of the people hate these things. but how come they are so successful? god tv is really going down the toilet next year looks like more reality shows than anything else in prime time.
Old 03-18-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Remember when ABC dug themselves into a hole by placing Who Wants to Be a Millionare on 4 or 5 nights a week? Then people got tired of it and they had nothing prepared to replace the five hours of primetime TV with. I see this happening with reality TV (hopefully soon). Only this time it'll be all the networks stuck with 20-30 shows that people have stopped caring about. Plus there'll be no demand for syndication, DVDs, etc. (unlike "written" series) once people know who won the shows they did care to watch.
Old 03-18-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by cineman
Where's WKRP in Cincinnati?!?!

Oh, I'm the only one, I guess.
WKRP will probably never be released to any home video format, DVD or otherwise.

It's an issue of music rights. When the show was being made 20-25 years ago, the producers had no idea that there would be a market for the series on home video, so the music rights were never secured for home video.

In order to release the series to DVD, it would require renegotiating those rights, and would, in the end, be cost prohibitive.

Same with Miami Vice, most likely.
Old 03-18-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, babe! You seen the growing Dragon*Con list, yet?

das
Old 03-18-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, crap, need to mail in the moola for my D*C membership!
Old 03-18-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I too hate the reality trend and can proudly say that I don't watch any of it. Luckily Alians and 24 have both been renewed for next season so I'll have something to watch (it's not looking too good for Ed though). AT the very least NBC will always have a Law & Order show on somewhere so if worse comes to worse I can watch that every night (not to mention all the TV shows on DVD I'm stockpiling).
Old 03-18-03, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
It's an issue of music rights. When the show was being made 20-25 years ago, the producers had no idea that there would be a market for the series on home video, so the music rights were never secured for home video.
Josh is right on. This was a pretty decent show, but when you not only consider the theme song, but all of the different snippets of albums that they played during the course of a season either in the DJ booth or over the in-station speaker on the wall, this would take moocho $$$ and time to get all of the rights (assuming that the artist agrees to the deal in the first place).
Old 03-18-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem, as I see it, is dedication. And money.

It’s a nice pipe dream, setting up my own “TV station.” Build a schedule and run your own shows. But I’m just too lazy to do it (dedication). And, although I have enough in my collection currently to run a 26-week schedule with 4+ hours of programming per night (mostly movies), I would want a lot more series than I have (money).

It’s just too easy to thump the remote control trying to find something to watch, I guess.

But, with the continuing, deplorable (IMO) trend towards reality shows, I may have to rethink.

I found out that there’s a lot more Muppet Show available than I was aware of. Thanks, elektra!

BTW, you only have to register to participate. You can lurk without having to wonder what they’ll do with your email addy.
Old 03-18-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rypro - unfortunately this is it for Buffy. I'm going to miss this show.

I would also love to get WKRP. But I understand the why they can't. Can it be shown in syncation? Is anyone carrying it?

WiccanPagan - Blessed Be. I also like Buffy and Smallville. Never got into Sports Night.

Tscott - yup. Too bad because Millionaire was pretty cool.

das - ummmm, no. Is it going to be a bad thing if I do? How's it going?

Wizdar - Always happy to help out a fellow muppet fan.
Old 03-18-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi elektra!

I will be watching less TV in about one week because of the war.

I am like Scarlett O'Hara exasperated over all this war talk: "War, war, war, war......"

Willl be watching lots of DVDs!
Old 03-18-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth elektra •<HR SIZE=1>das - ummmm, no. Is it going to be a bad thing if I do? How's it going?<HR SIZE=1>

Only if you're not planning to attend.

das
Old 03-18-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jadzia - Hey woman!!!!! Yea, but you know if they turned this whole war thing over to you and I, it would be done in no time at all. Thought of you when I picked up my season 1 of DS9. Still think Dax was a better choice for Worf than Troi would have ever been.

das - Oh great! Thanks! Now I have to go and look.....
Old 03-18-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia

I will be watching less TV in about one week because of the war.

I am like Scarlett O'Hara exasperated over all this war talk: "War, war, war, war......"

Willl be watching lots of DVDs!
Agreed. Sadly the war will make my beloved TiVo essentially worthless, except when The Shield comes on. Thankfully I've got a slew of unwatched DVD's at my disposal...

Time to break out Sports Night and watch them back-to-back, I guess.
Old 03-18-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by steelcurtain
Agreed. Sadly the war will make my beloved TiVo essentially worthless, except when The Shield comes on.
Not many episodes of the Shield left, is there? 1 or 2 episodes maybe?

I have so many unwatched DVDs, I've been watching way too much TV lately.
Old 03-18-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny you should mention Gone with the Wind. It's my favorite movie.
Old 03-18-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Not many episodes of the Shield left, is there? 1 or 2 episodes maybe?

I have so many unwatched DVDs, I've been watching way too much TV lately.
I believe there are 4 episodes left this season. I could be mistaken, however.
Old 03-18-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I went and looked at the list. Bad, very bad. You're grounded young man!
Old 03-19-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seriously, I'm going to have to work out so I'll be ready for the 4 days at Dragon Con. Each year, it get a little harder to be on the go the entire time. How's that for fandom dedication!

Oh, the whole thing about TV shows on DVD is the cost. I figure, with the sunk cost of the 3 ReplayTVs I now have, the payback in TV DVD sets is about a season's worth of 8 TV shows this year and maybe next year. Otherwise, I enjoy TV being free, so purchases of "TV shows on DVD" is only reserved for special TV shows, not all of them (else I'd go broke and have DVD storage problems).
Old 03-19-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patman - tell me about it. I can't even count how many shows I would love to have on DVD and that didn't include all the ones I watched growing up. But with next season going to mostly reality crap, there won't be much left for me to watch. I will see more on Discovery science and civilization that way.
Old 03-19-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>Seriously, I'm going to have to work out so I'll be ready for the 4 days at Dragon Con. Each year, it get a little harder to be on the go the entire time. How's that for fandom dedication!<HR SIZE=1>

Last year nearly killed me. I was out until 4-5am each night and then back up and ready to go for the first panel. Snickers and trail mix are the keys to con success. I'm scared of this year considering some of the big name guests. I fear I'm going to be trampled by screaming women.

das
Old 03-19-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never, EVER, stand between me and Bruce.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.