Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Gabriel returning to the U.S.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Peter Gabriel returning to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter Garbiel returning to the U.S.

Pete's site has "unconfirmed" dates for the U.S. this summer. Of note is Summerfest Opening night in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

This fest rocks real hard. I'm so there.

www.petergabriel.com
Old 03-10-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be first in line if PG comes back to Seattle.

Old 03-10-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm very happy about this, especially because tickets will likely be nowhere near as obscenely expensive as the main stadium tour was last fall. I actually didn't go for that reason--and apparently many others stayed away as well; very few North American dates sold out or came even close.
Old 03-10-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
My buddy saw him at the Pond in Anaheim and it was empty.
Old 03-10-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jepthah
I'm very happy about this, especially because tickets will likely be nowhere near as obscenely expensive as the main stadium tour was last fall. I actually didn't go for that reason--and apparently many others stayed away as well; very few North American dates sold out or came even close.
I'm sure the expense of the tickets was part of the problem, but I think the main problem was Peter not releasing a album for almost 10 years! Also this tour did not have the benefit of any big singles coming off of this album.
Old 03-10-03, 08:52 PM

I'm a beginning PG fan and I'm trying to figure out if I should check him out this tour. I'll probably only be able to afford the lawns but that's ok because I love the venues lawn section.

What should I expect from one of his shows. I can see him riding around on the bike in pantala's picture so I can only imagine the craziness of this show. Is it just a spectacle or is it also about the musicial. I love his voice but I can't imagine hearing him singing "In Your Eyes" in a giant hamster ball while hanging upside down.

Ok ok... I THINK I heard the ball and hanging upside down were two different parts of the show.

Anyway... any advice would be great. Definitely wouldn't feel to bad spending $30 for a great concert.

Aaron
Old 03-10-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
I'm a beginning PG fan and I'm trying to figure out if I should check him out this tour. I'll probably only be able to afford the lawns but that's ok because I love the venues lawn section.

What should I expect from one of his shows. I can see him riding around on the bike in pantala's picture so I can only imagine the craziness of this show. Is it just a spectacle or is it also about the musicial. I love his voice but I can't imagine hearing him singing "In Your Eyes" in a giant hamster ball while hanging upside down.

Ok ok... I THINK I heard the ball and hanging upside down were two different parts of the show.

Anyway... any advice would be great. Definitely wouldn't feel to bad spending $30 for a great concert.

Aaron
Peter is the best "non-Rush" concert I have ever seen! I missed him for UP but I saw him on the US tour, and it was incredible! I will so see him this summer.
Old 03-10-03, 09:51 PM
Banned

whew...where to start.

Peter did amazing work with Genesis, IMO the best music ever done. He left in 75 to go his own way.

His shows used to be very, very bizare. I have some old ones, and he was a freak...even more than when he was with Genesis.

Secret World Live was just released on DVD. I missed that tour, and thus first saw him last year. I've waited 10 years to see him.

He doesn't do much older material, so you have to really get into UP and US. Both great albums.

this will probally be his last tour, so go, go go! Yes the tickets were out of this world, this time they should be really cheap.

I was at the opening night show (chicago) and it was sold out. MSG, and a few others were sold out, but the high prices and as someone said lack of a hit single hurt the tour.

UP is very ...diffulcut to get, but once it hits you, it hits you. The Blind Boys of Alabama helped out on SKY BLUE and I kid you not I cried at the end of that song. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever hear.

To learn/see more about Peter, go

http://www.genesis-movement.co.uk/

and

http://www.genesis-music.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
Old 03-11-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't expect the full stage show from the fall 'stadium' tour. It will be stripped down, but musically just as fine I expect.

And UP was majorly slept on by the public and critics. It's one of the best things PG has ever done.
Old 03-11-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lateralus
I'm sure the expense of the tickets was part of the problem, but I think the main problem was Peter not releasing a album for almost 10 years! Also this tour did not have the benefit of any big singles coming off of this album.
Geffen majorly screwed up by selecting "The Barry Williams Show" as the first single. It's easily the weakest track on the album. "Growing Up" or even "More Than This" would have been a better choice.
Old 03-12-03, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jepthah
Geffen majorly screwed up by selecting "The Barry Williams Show" as the first single. It's easily the weakest track on the album. "Growing Up" or even "More Than This" would have been a better choice.
I like Barry, but you're right. Growing Up would have been much better of a single.
Old 04-02-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I just got 6th row for Houston. Yippeeeeee!!!!
Old 04-02-03, 11:33 AM
Banned

sigh....24th row for Summerfest.

Oh well.

how the hell did you get 6th row?
Old 04-02-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scot1458
sigh....24th row for Summerfest.

Oh well.

how the hell did you get 6th row?
Presale. Just got in early and got lucky I guess. And I think they actually released the tickets a few minutes early. Instead of 10AM, I logged on at 9:57 and they were already selling.
Old 04-02-03, 02:03 PM
Banned

I kept refreshing the page, and best i got was 23rd row, though I got 3 seats.

I'll still take it. How's the venue in Houston?
Old 04-02-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scot1458
I kept refreshing the page, and best i got was 23rd row, though I got 3 seats.

I'll still take it. How's the venue in Houston?
Venue is pretty weak unless you are in the front portion of seats and near the middle. Lawn is horrible. They tend to keep the volume extremely low for a concert. And it's way the hell out of town, which isn't too bad on a weekend, but weekday shows aren't even worth it unless it's someone really good.