Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 3/8/03 (w/ Queen Latifah)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SNL 3/8/03 (w/ Queen Latifah)

i only caught the last two bits from this show. was it any good?

i think the tribute to Mr. Rogers was an excellent way to end the show. such a phenomenal man getting respect from a show that is the polar opposite of his... touching, to say the least.
-di doctor-
Old 03-09-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, nice touch saluting Mr. Rogers.

Still, a thumbs down for the show. The opening bit,
"Point/Counterpoint" was long and unfunny. I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw the "ignorant slut" comment coming from a hundred miles away. How long has it been since Dan Aykroyd has been relevant? Twenty years?

The less said about the rapping baby, the better. Idiotic.

The Regis & Kelly skit with Frenchie from AI, the Cherylettes, the 20's jazz singer, all were okay ideas with no follow through.

The writer who shat out the grocery store ham sketch should be fired immediately. I was actually insulted when I saw it.

Highlights were the Jeff Richards' dead-on impression of Dustin Hoffman and Chris Parnell's Trevor the Broadway Guy, both during WU. The all-too-brief impressions of the "I'm a Celebrity, Who Farted?" contestants were also funny. Chris Kattan as Kathy Griffin.

Salma Hayek next week.

Honk!
Old 03-09-03, 12:51 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought the Regis and Kelly skit was funny but that's about it. Gelman is about the only funny thing Kattan does anymore.
Old 03-09-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best thing about SNL right now:

The rapping baby reminded me of MC Chris. So I guess I found it funny, but I did wonder if they were ripping off MC Chris's character from the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, MC Pee Pants.

Last edited by calhoun07; 03-09-03 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-09-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The opening was lame. It just wasn't funny, and although I'm not a huge Norm McDonald fan, I think he probably would have done better, even though I see why they asked Dan Akroyd to make a cameo instead.

The show was pretty disappointing. Odd that Ms. Dynamite, the musical guest, got only 1 perfomance (that I saw, at least). She has two singles, her latest wasn't performed, but I've seen the video for it on MTV. I guess they didn't have time for it.

The writing pretty much sucked again. WU was ok, but not great. Most of the sketches had potential, but no follow-through and ended pretty awkwardly. The rapping baby was utterly stupid, though, and the worse sketch of the night, right next to the supermarket ham thing. WTF?

I don't have a huge opinion of Queen Latifah as an actor, since she didn't do that much on "Chicago", and before that, the last time I saw her do something was "Living Single". Oh well.
Old 03-09-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I thought this was a really funny episode, at least up until the Ham sketch.

We were laughing really hard at the opening, the rapping baby, the reality show parodies, etc.
Old 03-09-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't think the DVD Talk has a smiley harsh enough to describe my feelings about last nights ep..

I didn't even make it to the Mr. Rogers tribute at the end. I think the last "skit" I sat through before I gave up was the one about the ham. I did like Parnell's comments about hammering out that sketch while being drunk..good to see truth in advertising and it explains a great MANY things..

And as far as Jeff Richards is concerned..he can burn in the lowest depths of hell. I cannot stand him. And I really don't know why..
Old 03-09-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588

And as far as Jeff Richards is concerned..he can burn in the lowest depths of hell. I cannot stand him. And I really don't know why..
He's the guy that plays "Drunk Girl" and the rapping baby last night, yeah? Yeah, he irritates the absolute **** out of me, too.
Can't believe that the first "real" skit was that rapping baby one.
Old 03-09-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
That is him..

Here's a montage of all his "classic" characters to give you nightmares..

Old 03-09-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bill O' Reilly sketch was terrific. They need to do that one again.

"I say New York City is the capital of New York...tell me where I'm wrong."
Old 03-09-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hated the majority of last night's show, with the exception of the Regis and Kelly skit. Most of the rest was just horrible, and I really didn't think that QL did a good job hosting.
Old 03-09-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by movieking
Most of the rest was just horrible, and I really didn't think that QL did a good job hosting.
Ha. You know, it's funny...As i've commented in past SNL threads..I play a game called "Count how many times a host looks at the cue cards..". Now, I don't know about the rest of the show [Still trying to wash my eyeballs out..], but during the HAM "skit" I don't think Latifah looked at Amy/Rachel ONCE.

*Sigh*

I guess not everyone can be like Jennifer Garner & Christopher Walken.

As an aside..recently I caught an old SNL ep on Comedy Central with Steve Busemi hosting. I laughed more during the first three skits than I did during this entire season. [Not taking JG/CW's eps into account..]

The thing that had me rolling was a "Morning Latté" skit with Will, Cheri & Steve as a MEGA Grease fan. Of course Will & Cheri go on their tangents, when Didi Conn shows up. [In case you don't know -- she played Frenchie] So then Cheri & Will are talking about all her OTHER appearances besides Grease [Benson, the Love Boat..] and Steve eventually gets frustrated and shouts at Cheri "She played Frenchie in the movie Grease you BITCH!" I was dying..

Oh, to laugh like this again at SNL..
Old 03-09-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cue card thing was really bad last night. I find it very annoying to watch someone read off a cue card. I don't mind it during a couple of sketches, but not all night.

How the hell did Bringing Down The House make over $30 Million this weekend? I would have guessed it would get $15M.
Old 03-09-03, 03:43 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I never watch this show, but while at my parents house, they had it on last night. I believe I asked them about 5 or 6 times "You actually watch this crap?" Queen Latifah was horrible, it was like they were trying to copy Chappelle's show with their humor, only a bad bad bad version of his worst skit.
Old 03-10-03, 08:09 AM

I liked the Ex-President's sketch and the first couple moments of the "Queen" Latifah monologue.

And Hammond's impression of Clinton always gets me rolling, he can't do that bit where he laughs and then goes serious enough.

Not a great episode, but it didn't piss me off like it did many of you. Maybe because I able to fast forward though any parts I wasn't enjoying.
Old 03-10-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I could only pick one show to tape and fastforward through, Saturday Night Live would be the one. I have done it for years, and I have gone past a lot of crappy sketches (Goat Boy, Mr Peepers, and a bunch more always got my fast forward finger itchy!)

I have to say that QL did look a lot like Frenchie though. Was it just me, or did QL do a lot of her sketches with a lot of padding for extra weight? I am not trying to be a smartass, because I know that she is a little overweight, but it seemed that a lot of her sketches had her done up to make her seem heavier, even though it didn't really make a difference in the skit. What's up with that?
Old 03-10-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AXP 103
I liked the Ex-President's sketch
Yeah, who would've thought Bugs Bunny and Spongebob would ever make their way onto SNL?
Old 03-10-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was the real SpongeBob as well. Tom Kenney's name was there in the credits for the cartoon short.
Old 03-10-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mr. Rogers tribute was awesome. I was expecting him to make some really bad taste jokes. It was nice to see him play it totally straight.

Rest of the episode was just "eh".

What the hell is up with Maya Rudolphs voice? Is that natural? Was she in an accident?
Old 03-11-03, 12:35 AM

Aww, maybe I'm just juvenile, but I thought the "Who farted?" and the "I'm a celebrity, who farted?" bits were great. I also liked at the end of WU when jimmy fallon was about to throw his pencil as usual, a thomas jefferson look alike came up took it and used it to sign the declaration of independence...it was very silly and random.
Old 03-11-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
They need to partially revamp the cast like they did in the mid-1990s when the last truly great wave of performers exited the show. Could you imagine if Will Ferrell would have been on SNL ten years earlier. I can only imagine the possibilities...

If they revamp, the should possibly keep any of the following:

Maya Rudolph
Seth Meyers
Chris Parnell
Amy Poehler
Darrell Hammond
Tracy Morgan
and maybe Rachel Dratsch

They can definitely let go:
Tina Fey - not a good head writer, imo
Horation Sanz - he's worn out his welcome, I like him, but he's an awful sketch performer
Jimmy Fallon - worn out his welcome and reached his limits - he's also rumored to be leaving.
Chris Kattan - he's been on the show way too long, needs to move on to something else, it seems like they only let him play one or two kinds of characters
Jeff Richards - he's only funny maybe 25% of the time and that's being nice.

I don't have an opinion on because they are only on sporadically:

Fred Armisen
Dean Edwards
Will Forte
Old 03-11-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by movieking
Tom Kenney's name was there in the credits for the cartoon short.
Fun trivia note - Tom Kenny's best friend from childhood is Bobcat Goldthwait.

The conversation may now continue.
Old 03-11-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funner Trivia note. Bobcat Goldthwait is married to Nikki Cox.

D
Old 03-11-03, 09:29 AM

I have to chime in here...It seems that it is again becoming very hip to rip SNL to pieces. Its my opinion that while the show has its horrible moments, its still very funny and blows the doors off of Mad TV, In Living Color, and most other network sketch comedy shows that have challenged it over the years. The talent of the cast may ebb and flow, but it is SNL...its an institution! My only complaint is that over the years, the musical guest selection has become less adventurous year after year. Sorry for the rant, im just throwing in a good word for the show.
Old 03-11-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
but it is SNL...its an institution!
I think that's part of the reason it's still on. People tune in because it's an institution. If it was a new show just starting and this is the unfunny stuff we got, it wouldn't last very long.

IMO

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.