Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek--The Original Series--Best DVD??

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought "ST II: Wrath of Khan" as a blind buy and loved it.
I had to grab "Space Seed" on DVD and it also contained the episode
"A Taste of Armageddon."

I have to say that I thought both of these episoes were top notch and very entertaining as well as thought provoking.

Question: Does anyone else agree?

Also, for those who have seen most of the series, are most of the other
Trek episodes of the same caliber?

FYI: these episodes were on VOL 12 out of 39 total.

What are the best Volumes to pick up?

Are there any that contain one Good epidode along with one sub par episode?
Old 03-08-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oddly, I think these two episodes represent a pretty good cross-section of the original series. While cheesy, 'A Taste of Armageddon' is pretty representative of the main formula.

While there are certainly great episodes all over, it's probably best to avoid the 3rd season; and unfortunately, the seasons are such that great episodes are often paired with weak ones.

Anyway, my first suggestion would be 'The City on the Edge of Forever'/'Errand of Mercy'. Yes, I believe the former to be the finest Star Trek episode ever and one of my top episodes of television (hell, I quote the writer in my sig). But 'Errand of Mercy' is also a pretty solid episode and not a bad companion at all.

You then would have to pick up 'The Trouble with Tribbles'/'I, Mudd'. This is easily the funniest DVD of the series, and 'Tribbles' is probably the most popular fan favorite of all. 'I, Mudd' is also pretty funny, even if a bit silly. It would help to see 'Mudd's Women' first, though, and that's paired with 'The Enemy Within'. While neither is a great episode, they're both pretty entertaining.

Another fun combo would be 'Shore Leave'/'The Squire of Gothos'. Each is light-hearted and entertaining. 'Charlie X'/'Balance of Terror' would be good. 'Balance of Terror' is excellent, and 'Charlie X' makes a good dramatic companion. 'The Naked Time'/'The Man Trap' may also be a good selection. And I guess everyone should have a copy of 'The Menagerie I & II'

Other than that, it will really depend on your preference for good "combo" DVDs. Some additional episodes you absolutely must see if you want to understand Trek are as follows: 'Mirror, Mirror', 'A Piece of the Action', 'The Doomsday Machine', 'Amok Time', and 'The Corbomite Maneuver'.

In summary, just suck it up and grab them all.

das
Old 03-08-03, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey In summary, just suck it up and grab them all.

das
Assuming he has a kidney to spare, that is
Old 03-08-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew •<HR SIZE=1>Assuming he has a kidney to spare, that is <HR SIZE=1>

I never said "buy" them.

das
Old 03-08-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts
Speaking of the Menagerie, are they ever going to release the restored version of the original pilot this was made from, The Cage?
Old 03-08-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
Speaking of the Menagerie, are they ever going to release the restored version of the original pilot this was made from, The Cage?
It was released on Volume 40, with the full color version and a B&W/color mix.

Matt
Old 03-08-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Such a shame that they don't release these in season sets. I would buy them in a heartbeat if they did.
Old 03-08-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Such a shame that they don't release these in season sets. I would buy them in a heartbeat if they did.
Yes. They could easily appear in 6-disc multipaks like Buffy for $49.95. Of course, why would Paramount want to do that, when they make a ton of money on the individual disks?
Old 03-08-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm actually happy they're not in season sets (never was a fan of the original series). That being said, I am in the process of buying all the TOS episodes that link to another Trek movie or TV show. Picked up Space Seed which I love and I'm in the process of picking up The Trouble with Tribbles epside and Mirror, Mirror (both relate to DS9 episodes and are pretty good episodes). I'd agree that City on the Edge of Forever and Amok Time are essential as well.
Old 03-08-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yes. They could easily appear in 6-disc multipaks like Buffy for $49.95. Of course, why would Paramount want to do that, when they make a ton of money on the individual disks?

The season sets don't even have to be that low. If they price them the same way they price TNG sets, I would buy them.
Old 03-08-03, 07:01 PM
Banned

City on the Edge of Forever, The Deadly Years and Mirror were always my favorites.
Old 03-09-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lisadoris
I'm actually happy they're not in season sets (never was a fan of the original series).
You mean, season sets instead of the current release? I can see that, but I can't see why someone would be happy that someone else can't have the option they want...
Old 03-10-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I simply mean that I perfer the episodes released as they are now. That way, I don't have to buy the entire season, just the episodes I want. I never said that Paramount shouldn't release season sets - which they probably will after they're done with Voyager. In general I prefer season sets to "best of" sets or the like. It just happens that individual episodes is what's available now.