Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Funny comment about ReplayTV & skipping commercials

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny comment about ReplayTV & skipping commercials

I am researching DirecTivo and I was reading the online reviews at Circuit City.com

One guy mentioned ReplayTV and I thought his comment was funny:

The BEST of all!
My wife bought me a Replay TV for xmas, pointing out that it has a feature to skip commercials automatically during playback of recordings, but the unit makes you actually watch all shows you record, if you try to change channels while recording, you have to stop your recording. So what good is a feature to skip commercials during playback if you have to watch them all during the initial recording?
The DirectTv Tivo lets us record all the shows for my 2 year old, while I continue to watch the shows I like. I cant tell you how much it helps to be able to record childen shows all day, without having to actually watch them all!
This unit is the best by far. Save yourself the trouble and just buy this one over the rest.
I think what this guy is looking for is a time machine...something that will magically transport him farther into a show than what has aired yet.

"I wish I could zap through the commercials to find out who wins American Idol faster than the rest of the country..."
Old 03-06-03, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the solution is to just start watching your show a little late (like 10 min or so). That way as you skip the commercials you are actually catching up to the regular show. At least, that is how I understand the thing works.
Old 03-06-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gasspasser
Well the solution is to just start watching your show a little late (like 10 min or so). That way as you skip the commercials you are actually catching up to the regular show. At least, that is how I understand the thing works.
Yeah, that's what I do. I always start watching at least 15 minutes into the show.

I am so impatient now, I watch very little "live" TV.

I just thought it was funny this guy expected it to skip commercials while watching it live. That'd be a neat trick for a machine to do, especially during a football game or something.
Old 03-06-03, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But that isn't what he's saying at all. He is saying that he can't change the channel and watch something else while it is recording a show. Basically if you have a VCR and you're recording something you couldn't watch something else with the VCR, because it only has one tuner. But don't all of the PVR's have their own tuners, so he'd be able to watch something else with the TV's tuner anways.
Old 03-07-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
I am so impatient now, I watch very little "live" TV.
The only live TV I watch anymore are football games. The last commercials I actually watched were during the Super Bowl.

Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
But don't all of the PVR's have their own tuners, so he'd be able to watch something else with the TV's tuner anways.
I used to run my standalone TiVo through my VCR, so if it was recording something I could watch something else through the VCR. Now with a DirecTiVo, I can just switch to the second tuner if the first is recording something.

I've had extensive experience with DishPVR, ReplayTV, TiVo, and DirecTiVo and I agree with that reviews last comment on the DirecTiVo:

This unit is the best by far. Save yourself the trouble and just buy this one over the rest.
Old 03-07-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
But don't all of the PVR's have their own tuners, so he'd be able to watch something else with the TV's tuner anways.

Yeah he is basically an idiot when it comes to splitting signals. If you have cable, split your signal - one to the TV and one to the Replay (like I do; actually I do 3 splits: 1 to my 1st Replay connected to digital cable, 1 to my 2nd Replay, 1 direct to my TV - I can record 2 shows and watch another live (or 2 if I use PIP).

Of course to do what he wants to do with DirectTV and Replay, he would need 2 receivers. Of course, it is obvious that if you have DirectTV, a Directivo makes the most sense.

I tend to wait a little bit too unless there are multiple programs that I like at the same time. Then I generally watch one live.
Old 03-07-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as I love my ReplayTV, if you have DirecTV there isn't much to research about. Just get the DirecTivo already! And you said you can replace a hard drive in your computer, well then I don't imagine there being a problem with upgrading a Tivo. I upgraded My Replay in an hour, and that was including everything from setup to cleanup. It included finding out my computer couldn't recognize a 250 gig drive so I had to use the pci card that handily came with the drive. I also had to go find the software. If I don't include the time it took me to get everything ready the actual upgrade process was probably 15 to 20 minutes.
Old 03-07-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, if i buy a DirecTivo, I should probably also order the upgrade kit and then do the upgrade before I hook it up, right?

That way I won't have to worry about losing any of my data?
Old 03-07-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
So, if i buy a DirecTivo, I should probably also order the upgrade kit and then do the upgrade before I hook it up, right?

That way I won't have to worry about losing any of my data?
Yeah, I kinda wish I had done the upgrade right away myself. I cleared out the memory of shows, then did the upgrade. But, spent the next several days adding my Season Passes back in. The DirecTiVo "trickles" guide data in over time and can take 2-3 days before completing.

If you're going to get a DirecTiVo and fully intend to upgrade, do both at once . Much easier that way.

By the way, in case you haven't come across the info: DirecTV charges a $5/month DVR fee for a DirecTiVo.
Old 03-07-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So all I need to do is unplug my DirecTV receiver, plug in the new DirecTivo unit and call DirecTV to activate it?

Is that correct? Or is there more to it than that?
Old 03-07-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A standard receiver can even be activated online, maybe even the TiVo.

But, yeah, it was only a phone call for me.

Just make sure they activate the DVR service in addition to the receiver portion. They need to do both for it to work.
Old 03-07-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And thenI can hold on to my extra receiver, in case I ever want to add it to another room? I just got it as part of the 2-room free deal.
Old 03-07-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe they will require the same number of receivers you signed up with to remain active throughout your commitment. So, DirecTiVo plus one other receiver would work.